Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Death of Sallie Mae

tag
Aahz
Established Contributor

Re: Death of Sallie Mae

@Bman70 wrote:

To be honest I've only been using mine for gas and BTs. The BT are pretty good offers though, like 1% fee. Wonder if they'll honor 18 month 0% balances when it changes over. I will miss the 5% gas every quarter... I don't know of any other equivalent right now. 

Anyone know if Barclay allows PC to any other card in their lineup?

Existing BTs will continue to be honored under existing terms per federal law.  

As for new offers, we'll have to wait and see, but my guess is they'll increase to try to make up for the serious decline in use this new card is likely to see.

Message 21 of 376
kdm31091
Super Contributor

The cash+ bookstore works for any amazon purchase that codes as a bookstore which is the majority. That said if enough people use it I'm sure US Bank will take it away.
Message 22 of 376
Anonymous
Not applicable

glad I have Penfed as a backup for gas, can get Amazon store card, but not sure what to do about groceries
Message 23 of 376
CluelessJohn
Contributor

I've only had it for about 18 months but it was a handy card for me. Sorry to see it go.

With very minor exceptions, I only used this card for 5% transactions and would always PIF.  Did Barclay make any money from me?

Chase Freedom Visa ($15K) Chase Freedom Flex ($15K) Chase Amazon Prime ($9K) USAA Limitless ($20K) AMEX BCE ($30K) CapOne QuickSilver ($15K) Citi DC ($20.5K) Citi Custom Cash ($5K) Discover It ($7.5K) BOA Cash Rewards ($5K) BOA MLB ($13K) USBank Cash+($10K) WF Active Cash ($8K)
FICO 8 ~800
Message 24 of 376
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

What made it such a good card is it needs more than one card to fully replace.

For Amazon the prime store card is the obvious choice (if you need other bookstores, then Cash + does seem the only choice, now that Forward also nerfed).

5% gas Penfed Cash Rewards (not the Platinum, as pointed out above, not really 5%) or maybe Fort Knox

And groceries is more of an issue, depending on spend.

As it happens, I will use the Blue Cash (OBC) for 5% gas and groceries, but that isn't a solution for all with the threshold spend.   But I will need to get the Amazon card, as my Cash +s are fully used on other categories.

Message 25 of 376
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@kdm31091 wrote:
The cash+ bookstore works for any amazon purchase that codes as a bookstore which is the majority. That said if enough people use it I'm sure US Bank will take it away.

Interesting, Kindle purchases weren't caught by Sallie in a 5x category unfortunately.

Think for my case as a non-trivial Amazon user and prime member, will probably just do the store card; Cash+ I always flirted with the idea of making an app but their UW meh.

        
Message 26 of 376
IncrsCreditScore1
Valued Contributor

Oh my goodness, please say this isn't so.  I use my Sallie Mae all the time for groceries at WalMart. 

January 2018 Scores - EQ 797 | TU 800 | EX 798 | ~~Started Gardening Again on March 21, 2017
Message 27 of 376
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:
With the new card doing grocery and utilities I'm surprised they don't just do a force PC to a Barclay rewards instead of making a new product.

The amazon thing, we all knew would end eventually. But there's still several 5 percent Amazon options so it's not the end of the world.

They just stopped offering the Barclay Rewards card, so I guess what they're doing is melding the 2 cards into a new one. This card's 2% cash back on groceries and utilities is highly resonant of the Rewards card.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 28 of 376
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

To be honest I've only been using mine for gas and BTs. The BT are pretty good offers though, like 1% fee. Wonder if they'll honor 18 month 0% balances when it changes over. I will miss the 5% gas every quarter... I don't know of any other equivalent right now. 

Anyone know if Barclay allows PC to any other card in their lineup?

No they don't allow PC's. If you want to switch to another card you need to apply for it, then if you get accepted close the other and move the limit over.

Message 29 of 376
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@CluelessJohn wrote:

I've only had it for about 18 months but it was a handy card for me. Sorry to see it go.

With very minor exceptions, I only used this card for 5% transactions and would always PIF.  Did Barclay make any money from me?

I don't think so.

Maybe there were a lot of pretty sophisticated card holders out there, like you, and that is why they're scrubbing it Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 376
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.