Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debating on SPG or Chase Hyatt

tag
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

Debating on SPG or Chase Hyatt

Input? If SPG, I would wait for Jan 14 for max backdating. Regardless, if I go with Chase, it will be around the same time frame.

Now the real question, I already have 2 chase CC. Would they be willing to give me another with decent CL?

Also got 2 Amex already. Same question applied. Lol

Lexie should look other way.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Debating on SPG or Chase Hyatt

@armbenderc wrote:
Input? If SPG, I would wait for Jan 14 for max backdating. Regardless, if I go with Chase, it will be around the same time frame.

Now the real question, I already have 2 chase CC. Would they be willing to give me another with decent CL?

Also got 2 Amex already. Same question applied. Lol

Lexie should look other way.

You said Lexie not me Smiley Tongue

Both cards would depend on if you have reached your internal limit with them 

BTW here's something for you from Lexie and myself 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 9
red259
Super Contributor

You can get more than two cards from Chase or Amex it just depends on if you hit the overall cap in amount of credit they are willing to give. In terms of which card is better it depends on what you want to use it for. The Chase Hyatt will get you two free nights as the bonus and one free night a year at category 1-4. If you don't really stay at Hyatts I am not sure of the real value unless you just want the bonus. The SPG generates starpoints which can be used for SPG rooms or transferred to 30 different airline loyalty programs for plane tickets on over 350 airlines. You can also get a bonus on some of the points transfers. If you stay at Starwood properties then its a no brainer. Honestly I think the SPG card is a much better value unless you frequent hyatt. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Nope, I'm looking right at you and Shaking my head!
Message 4 of 9
navyox
Regular Contributor

I feel like I've gotten pretty good value from my SPG.   I have never used it to transfer to an airline, instead I redeemed starpoints for stays.   Cash and Points is a great redemption option, but they seemed to have cut back on availability within the past few years.   Some people, including prominent points gurus, have suggested the SPG is not worth keeping past the first free year, mostly due to newer options on the market (cough Freedom/CSP combo cough).  

Pros: plenty of 1:1 transfer partners (with 5k bonus for 20k redemptions), standard Amex perks (purchase protection, warranty, etc)

Cons: High end properties cost a ton of points, cutback on Cash and Points availability, no bonus categories besides Starwood Properties (also makes them valuable, so maybe should be a pro also), foreign transaction fees

Starting Score: 676 CK 5/13. Current: 717 EX 6/15 -- Last App: 6/2014
Message 5 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Seriously, IMO unless you are tied to Hyatt only- then SPG
Message 6 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

At least while Amex continues to run the small business Saturday promo, I think the SPG card is a no brainer.  Personally, I would keep it even without that.

I like Hyatt alot.  I really like the fact that their top tier elites can confirm into a suite at booking.  That benefit seriously tempts me to switch to them.  But there are too many places where I travel that it would be a problem to stay in a Hyatt due to their limited footprint.  I "only" spend about 60-70 nights/year in a hotel, so I'm not a road warrior that is going to qualify for top tier status at multiple different chains.  Starwood's footprint tends to work for me though there are still several stays where I can't really justify picking one of their hotels.  So for me, if I had to choose, it would be SPG, even if you couldn't recoup the entire annual fee in the small business Saturday promo.  But at least while you can, take advantage of it.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 9
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

From a pure value perspectie, I'll agree with the others on here who said that SPG > Hyatt (assuming there are SPG properties where you want to be). Of course the ability to transfer to airline miles is a huge plus, and limits the amount of devaluation risk of starpoints.

The only other thing I'd consider is whether or not you have a lot of international stays or purchases. That's SPG's one biggest weakness. If you have a lot of purchases or stays in foriegn currencies, you might be better off with Hyatt.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 8 of 9
dxz7
Established Member

If yourre going overseas alot, thenn chase hyatt, marriott or ihg wouldd be better since none of these has a foreiign transaction fee. And thats one thing I dont like amex about, almost all of their carrds has a ftf except the platinum.

Bofa Privileges with Cash Rewards Visa Signature -11k / Chase Sapphire Preferred - 10k / Chase Freedom - 7k / Hyatt Visa - 5k
Bofa Travel Rewards Card Visa Signature - 7.5k / American Express True Earnings - 5k / Barclay Arrival WorldMaster card - 5k
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.