Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit Card Application

tag
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Debit Card Application

We are switching from our current bank to the bank we had used before.  We never did close the previous account and so we're going to start having our paychecks direct deposited into that account (better money management features and it will be the same bank we'll have our home loan through).  

One quick question though (since we're so close to applying for a home loan), is it a hard inquiry for the checking account debit card application?  Our checking account didn't automatically include a debit card and so they said we could apply for one.   Just worried about this counting as an inquiry on my CR. Thanks!

myFICO starting TU 683 8/26/11
myFICO starting EQ 645 8/26/11
myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

Re: Debit Card Application

The debit card application shouldn't be a hard pull, some banks, however, do hard pulls when you open a checking account. Without knowing what bank your using, I can't say. If you are concerned, call your bank or go talk to them. Also, since your mortgage will be with that same bank, if they did do a hard pull for a non-credit product, their underwriters  should know that so there shoudn't be a problem.

Message 2 of 7
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Yeah it depends on what bank.  Like ING Direct and Alliant CU hard pull when you join or open a checking account.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 7
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Gosh, I didn't even know they still do credit pulls for debit cards. I thought they just gave it to you upon opening the checking account. I remember having to apply for my first debit card, and I vaguely remember my ex telling me he got declined for a debit card eons ago when they first came out. Smiley Very Happy My, how times have changed. 

Message 4 of 7
scientifics
Frequent Contributor

@barbaralee wrote:

Gosh, I didn't even know they still do credit pulls for debit cards. I thought they just gave it to you upon opening the checking account. I remember having to apply for my first debit card, and I vaguely remember my ex telling me he got declined for a debit card eons ago when they first came out. Smiley Very Happy My, how times have changed. 

They don't do pulls for debit cards persay, but some banks do pulls for opening a new checking account. I don't think requesting a debit card on a current checking account ever incurs a hard pull.

Message 5 of 7
mamahearts
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone!   It's a small local bank in South Dakota! Smiley Happy   We've had the checking account for about 8 years but we got a special offer to open a new checking account with the other bank a few years back.  It seemed like a good idea at the time but we've had lots of little problems.  Now I'm especially anxious to switch back since we'll have our loan there.  Thanks for your info! Smiley Happy  I guess I have one more chore for Friday!   
@scientifics wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

They don't do pulls for debit cards persay, but some banks do pulls for opening a new checking account. I don't think requesting a debit card on a current checking account ever incurs a hard pull.

myFICO starting TU 683 8/26/11
myFICO starting EQ 645 8/26/11
myFICO EQ 652 9/26
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@scientifics wrote:

@barbaralee wrote:

+1

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.