Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit Vias/Mastercard has to report...

tag
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Debit Vias/Mastercard has to report...

Bought a car this weekend and the finance guy says any debit card carrying the visa or mastercard logo has to report he said to contact TR and tell them your card is not listed on reports they do investigation then contact chase and tell them they are required to report ...ANY THOUGHTS ON THE VALIDITY OF THIS???  

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Debit Vias/Mastercard has to report...

Ummm.... No. Sorry but debit cards don't report and would be ignored by FICO® scoring even if they did show up on your reports ~ they are not credit products.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 19
YahComb
Established Contributor

There are some prepaid cards that report to some alternative credit bureaus, but debit is not credit and therefore does not show up on any major credit bureau credit files that banks and other lenders use.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 3 of 19
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

That saleman was clearly just trying to feed you a pitch.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 4 of 19
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Feed this pitch no job 0 down 277 a month hyundai sonata HAHAHA but seriously he tried to sell me that because it has a vias logo if persued they have to report I said I didnt think he was right he was full of nmdj anyway

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 5 of 19
NewSurrender
Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

Feed this pitch no job 0 down 277 a month hyundai sonata HAHAHA but seriously he tried to sell me that because it has a vias logo if persued they have to report I said I didnt think he was right he was full of nmdj anyway

The amount you pay per month is extremely irrelevant when it comes to bragging about how good of a deal you got.

If you negotiated your monthly payment instead of the price of the car, I'm pretty sure you got fed a pitch, but okay.

To answer your question, think about it. Why would a debit card be reported to a credit bureau?

Message 6 of 19
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

Sounds like a buch of hog wash.       That would be reporting your personal checking account balance every month.  I wish a .....

(insert first adjective that comes to mind)...WOULD!rolling on the floor

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 19
calihlove75
Established Contributor

Man I wish my debit cards reported. I would have an extra 3 years history!!

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 8 of 19
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

General advice: the finance guys at auto dealerships are generally pretty sleazy and shouldn't be trusted for anything, least of all financial advice (at least in my experience).

As for your question: Like everyone else has said, the information he gave you about debit cards on credit reports is wrong. The Visa or MasterCard logo simply means your card has access to the Visa or MasterCard payment network.  If the underlying account is a checking account (or some other type of account that's not a credit account), there's no reason it should appear on your credit report.

Message 9 of 19
JusdoNit
Established Contributor

@LionLaw wrote:

General advice: the finance guys at auto dealerships are generally pretty sleazy and shouldn't be trusted for anything, least of all financial advice (at least in my experience).

As for your question: Like everyone else has said, the information he gave you about debit cards on credit reports is wrong. The Visa or MasterCard logo simply means your card has access to the Visa or MasterCard payment network.  If the underlying account is a checking account (or some other type of account that's not a credit account), there's no reason it should appear on your credit report.

Well said

Starting Score: 722
Current Score: Now 687 what the hockey sticks...from a 784 (Aug 12 EX 751 EQ Fico)
Goal Score: 800

If your outGo is more than your INcome than your UpKeep will become your downFALL.

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.