Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debit card rewards

tag
mark293
Regular Contributor

Debit card rewards

I was shocked to recently find out my credit union offers rewards for using its debit card. Some of these are actually pretty good and its cash back.  10% @ Starbucks, 10% @ Chilis, 10% @ Starwood Preferred Properties, 5% Itunes, and many more. I may have to bust out ole reliable. Does anyone else have something similar?

Capital One Venture- $30,000, CSP- $29,500, PenFed Promise Visa- $26,000, NASA Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa- $25,000, NASA Federal Credit Union PLOC- $25,000, Amex BCE- 23,500, Merrill +- $23,000, Western Federal Credit Union PLOC- $20,000, OCCU Platinum Visa- $20,000, Randolph Brooks Federal Credit UnionPlatinum Visa- $20,000, Security Service Federal Credit Union PLOC- $20,000, Security Service Federal Credit Union MasterCard- $15,000, Allied Credit Union Visa- $15,0000, BBVA NBA Amex $15,000, Houston Police Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa- $15,000, Amex PRG NPSL, Discover IT- $14,300, DCU Platinum Visa- $10,000, Smart Financial CU Platinum MC- $10,000, Citi Hilton Honors Visa- $7500, USAA Platinum Visa- $7000, GEMB/Dillard's-$7500.00, GEMB/JCP-$10,000
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Re: Debit card rewards

Ok since you brought it up I have to ask.  What CU is this?

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 2 of 16
TXinandout
Frequent Contributor

Mine does, Randolph Brooks CU.

BK Discharged 06/02/2016 SCORES AROUND 475

Current scores:
EXP-667
EQ-654
TU-653
Message 3 of 16
mark293
Regular Contributor

Houston Police FCU

Capital One Venture- $30,000, CSP- $29,500, PenFed Promise Visa- $26,000, NASA Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa- $25,000, NASA Federal Credit Union PLOC- $25,000, Amex BCE- 23,500, Merrill +- $23,000, Western Federal Credit Union PLOC- $20,000, OCCU Platinum Visa- $20,000, Randolph Brooks Federal Credit UnionPlatinum Visa- $20,000, Security Service Federal Credit Union PLOC- $20,000, Security Service Federal Credit Union MasterCard- $15,000, Allied Credit Union Visa- $15,0000, BBVA NBA Amex $15,000, Houston Police Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa- $15,000, Amex PRG NPSL, Discover IT- $14,300, DCU Platinum Visa- $10,000, Smart Financial CU Platinum MC- $10,000, Citi Hilton Honors Visa- $7500, USAA Platinum Visa- $7000, GEMB/Dillard's-$7500.00, GEMB/JCP-$10,000
Message 4 of 16
QueenofReinvention
Contributor

I have a Nordstrom Bank debit card, that gives you $20 for every $2000 you spend (the $20 can only be spent at Nordstroms venues). If you spend any money at: Nordstrom, Nordstrom Rack, Nordstrom Online, and Nordstrom Restaurant/Cafe, you get double points.

I also just signed up for Citibank Checking. You get 10k in Thank You points (for this sign up promo) and an additional bonus 10k for signing up for Direct Deposit and doing a Bill Pay (one per month of each). That's the equivalent of $200 in gift cards for their online shopping site, and they also have travel stuff too, that you can spend them on.

With Citibank, if you have the DD and Bill Pay, you get a certain amount of Thank You points per month, PLUS, you can shop via their online marketplace (they have a LOT of great stores). Most of them offer 4-6 points for each $1 spent. A few are as high as 12 points per $1. For redemption, there are some gift cards that you can redeem as low as 1,500 points for $10 gift card.

I know a lot of people frown on using their debit cards and prefer to use their credit cards, but since I filed BK in 2010 and am trying to get rid of the horrible cards I got post-BK filing, I prefer having the rewards debit cards for my peace of mind. Also, I have several bank accounts, so if someone hacked or obtained my information for one account, I still have other bank accounts. I've had an account compromised years ago and while it was under investigation, they refunded all of the monies that were spent. The people were a little stupid. They paid like $800 for verizon cell phone bills??? Needless to say, I just signed a form with the bank and they gave me the money. About 30 days later, they sent a letter regarding their investigation and that they found it was fraudulent activity by others, and I didn't have to worry about it - the case was closed. I never was out of my $ longer than a few hours once I found out about the fraudulent activity.

Message 5 of 16
mt2va
Established Contributor

A couple years ago when I banked with BB&T their debit card offered rewards similiar to CC rewards.  You got so many points based on what you spent on the card and you could redeem it for gift cards. 

Starting Scores 10/12: EQ 460 (FICO)/TU 502 (FAKO)/EX 474 (FAKO)
(7/14): EQ 572 (FICO)/TU 624 (FICO)/ EX 612 (FICO)

Current (2016): EQ 605 (FICO)/TU 657 (FICO)/EX 646 (FICO)

Message 6 of 16
SuperKirby
Established Contributor

OP, those are generous awards, i'm eyeing the 10% off starwood properties!!

I know my BofA debit card gives Alaska Airline miles (as seen in my sig). However, the link for the Alaska debit card is gone, maybe they discontinued it...

Message 7 of 16
john398
Senior Contributor

I think a lot of banks used to before the debit card merchant fee got regulated

@mt2va wrote:

A couple years ago when I banked with BB&T their debit card offered rewards similiar to CC rewards.  You got so many points based on what you spent on the card and you could redeem it for gift cards. 

Message 8 of 16
wl123
Established Member

BOA sort of. If you have both checking and savings with them they will round up debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and deposit the difference in your savings. Not bad for small purchases.

Message 9 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@wl123 wrote:

BOA sort of. If you have both checking and savings with them they will round up debit card purchases to the nearest dollar and deposit the difference in your savings. Not bad for small purchases.

Don't count that as rewards, not even sort of!  It's your money from checking going into savings.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.