cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debt with Chase disappeared?

tag
Jordan515

Debt with Chase disappeared?

So I was severly deliquent on payments for my Chase card with a balance of $1500 by like 4-5 months.  I finally had enough money to make a payment on it and when I called today they said that my account was closed by myself on August 18, 2016 (definitly did not happen).  They're saying nothing was sent to collections and that I had a $0 balance on this closed account.. I've received no mail or email confirmation of this or anything from Chase since around that closure date.  Any chance this was sent to collections and if so how would I find out (nothing showing on my report)?   I have a hard time imagining I was just magicly let of the hook for $1500..

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Debt with Chase disappeared?

That's crazy. I assume since the account is closed that you can no longer log in to your account online?

I suspect that this will reappear somewhere. I don't know why the Chase rep would see it as closed with a 0 balance with no negative info. I would keep a close eye on your reportsm I think you will see something there soon.

Message 2 of 14
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Chances are that a debt collector picked up your balance. Though you should have gotten a letter stating that your balance was sent to a debt collector. You should check to see if they have your correct mailing address. Don't count on that $1500 disappearing. It's out there somewhere. Perhaps the debt collector is slow sending out the notice. 

Message 3 of 14
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

Like you said yourself, the odds of it being gone are too good to be true.

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Call back and ask to speak with the credit collections department and I'm sure you'll get a straight answer. 0% chance its gone.

Message 5 of 14
Jordan515

@Anonymous wrote:

That's crazy. I assume since the account is closed that you can no longer log in to your account online?

I suspect that this will reappear somewhere. I don't know why the Chase rep would see it as closed with a 0 balance with no negative info. I would keep a close eye on your reportsm I think you will see something there soon.

No I can still log in online no problem, just shows it's closed with a $0 balance.

Message 6 of 14
Jordan515

@Anonymous wrote:

Call back and ask to speak with the credit collections department and I'm sure you'll get a straight answer. 0% chance its gone.

Alright I'll do that, most of these companies have an internal collections department before they sell it off to a 3rd party dont they?

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes all do. 

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Jordan515 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Alright I'll do that, most of these companies have an internal collections department before they sell it off to a 3rd party dont they?

When you talk to them, say you think you recalled having a teeny-tiny balance...$27 maybe, but you can't remember if you paid it. Ask them to verify last payment and balance. That should get it dug up...perhaps.

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@OP I'm still curious how'd it go?

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.