cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decent credit cards with some dings like BK.... suggestions?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Decent credit cards with some dings like BK.... suggestions?

I am looking for some decent cc's with a bk on record 6/2012... no late pmts...

I have 662 EQ 672 EX and 696 TU... inquiries Tu 21 (will have 6 by oct) 13 EQ 11 ( 8 fall off this yr) EX (10 fall off this year) just fell off the wagon and applied for amex everyday. ... boa rewards.... amazon visa... discover ... walmart mc.. the replies were no, no, wait ( called recon sd yes to $500 limit then got a no in the mail after recon) discover it was a yes for $5,000 cl and wally mc instore app was a yes to $5,000 cl

I got killed on amex boa and chase... more than likely because of my inq and bk....

I currently have walmart store $3,000 2yr, Kohls $500 27 mo, Target $300 22mo, walmart mc $5,000 1 mo, discover $5,000 1 mo, CU mc $3,500 6mo, barclays rewards $2,000 6mo, credit 1 $750 18mo, first prem $700 20mo, cap 1 quicksilver mc $4,300 27mo, cap 1 quicksilver mc $3,750 2yrs.

My utilization is kinda high at around 30% but discover has not reported yet so that should bring it down around 25%.

Now BoA did offer me a secured card w/$500 cl w/ $99 deposit. I have never had a securdd card before , but is it worth it to get in with BoA?

Any suggestions on what are good cards with my or similar situations?

Any help or feedback is appreciated, am new on this forum and enjoy the topics immensely.
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Decent credit cards with some dings like BK.... suggestions?

capital one is the ding king but you already have a decent lineup unless it's not enough..?
Message 2 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

My suggestion is stop applying before your current cards balance chase you and close your accounts. Your lucky to have the cards such as Discover with a BK on your credit file. Hopefully if they review your account they don't close it with all your HPs showing. In my opinion you must wait at least a year preferably longer before applying for new credit. Credit is a journey not a race.
Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the others.  Your line-up is not bad, and you were approved for a Discover card with a very good starting CL.  I see you've had your Kohl's charge for over two years, and the CL is still low.  Last July, Kohl's made it much easier to request a CLI.  Just go to your online account, and you'll see the "request an increase" or something similar to that.  It's a soft pull, and if your account is in good standing and you haven't had an increase in the last four months, I think you'll see something happen.  There is no need to call Customer Service anymore when you can do it online and find out the results immediately.  I would just sit tight for six months or so and enjoy the cards that you already have. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i do like the cards i do have, i am thinking about combining my 2 cap 1 cards, and getting rid of my credit 1 and first premier cards.

As far as kohls i have 100% pmt history and cannot get an increase, i have tried calling, and the luv button, no go, dont understand that one. My Walmart store card gives me increases whenever i ask. Capital one gives me increases like clock work every 6 months. And ive heard good things about discover and increases.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

With the BK, it's best to forget about Chase, Amex, and B of A for a couple more years.  I don't see any problem with you combining your two Cap One cards if the option is available.  One of the cards needs to have a zero balance, but since they are both close in age, close the one with the highest APR if possible.  If you truly want one more card, with a higher CL, then Cap One Venture Sig might be a possibility.  Like you said, Cap One has been good to you.  Closing First Premier and Credit One would be top on my list.  Other than that, I would definitely go to the garden and take a long siesta.  Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i agree, i was told by csr at amex that i was denied because of my bk, so i will wait 6 yrs i guess, unless they change their business model , which i dont see happening. And thats fine, i was the one that messed my credit up not them. I was denied the venture rewards card, but im going to take some time off and pay down balances to 4 % and get rid of credit 1 and first molester cards.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great plan!!

Message 8 of 9
silkysean
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That's a great plan!!

I would stop apping if I were you Barclays and Discover if they soft pull you will see all the inquiries and accounts and might close you out or reduce your limits.Let your accounts age and inquiries fall off keeping all accounts in good standing trying CL increases first.With a Bk on your file you don't want that many inquiries with a new/thin file.As others stated you have a nice lineup work with what you have first.Remember everybody credit profile can't take a app spree it takes time and aging accounts.Good luck 

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.