Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decided to Clean House

tag
atd1970
Regular Contributor

Decided to Clean House

I went to Firestone for a oil change, and they offered me a Firestone Card with a $5,000 limit. Kind of surprised me that I would be approved for that amount for a $39 purchase. I wasn't going to accept, but then thought this would be a good time to rid myself of all the Comenity cards I have never used.

I got home and immediately closed 8 Comenity accounts. Man, it was a good feeling.

I do appreciate Comenity giving me the chance to rebuild credit, but most of the cards were stuck at $200 or $300 limits. To be honest, I was always afraid to use them because, for example, a single purchase from Express (not a cheap store) would show the card at over 50% utilization.

I held on to a couple of Comenity cards that have TL over $1000, and I actually use. I even sent Comenity a very pleasant email thanking them for extending credit and explaining that in the future I am still interested in any branded Visa/Mastercard products they offer. I am curious if this may force their hand and the pop-ups will start to appear on Total Rewards and My Points.

My only real criticism of Comenity is that they do not seem to grow as their customers credit grows. In my experience, Comenity could learn from GERB.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
bdhu2001
Valued Contributor

Re: Decided to Clean House

@atd1970 wrote:

I went to Firestone for a oil change, and they offered me a Firestone Card with a $5,000 limit. Kind of surprised me that I would be approved for that amount for a $39 purchase. I wasn't going to accept, but then thought this would be a good time to rid myself of all the Comenity cards I have never used.

I got home and immediately closed 8 Comenity accounts. Man, it was a good feeling.

I do appreciate Comenity giving me the chance to rebuild credit, but most of the cards were stuck at $200 or $300 limits. To be honest, I was always afraid to use them because, for example, a single purchase from Express (not a cheap store) would show the card at over 50% utilization.

I held on to a couple of Comenity cards that have TL over $1000, and I actually use. I even sent Comenity a very pleasant email thanking them for extending credit and explaining that in the future I am still interested in any branded Visa/Mastercard products they offer. I am curious if this may force their hand and the pop-ups will start to appear on Total Rewards and My Points.

My only real criticism of Comenity is that they do not seem to grow as their customers credit grows. In my experience, Comenity could learn from GERB.

Congrats on cleaning house.  Good call.

Original Mortgage maturity Sept 2044; Refi maturity Dec 2030
Starting Score: EX 751 EQ 720 TU 737 on 4/9/14
Current Score: EX 849 EQ 835 TU 843
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

It's not always a good practice to close accounts unless they have an AF.  These accounts will still report for at least 10 years, but if you let the creditor do the closing, they will help your AAoA for a longer period of time.

One account might not have much of an impact...but 8...that remains to be seen.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 3 of 9
atd1970
Regular Contributor

I was worried about that.

However, I did the math.I have 22 accounts less than 12 months old. Closing these accounts will actually increase my  AAoA when they fall. Obviously, that is as long I I don't go crazy and open more accounts.

Message 4 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@atd1970 wrote:

I was worried about that.

However, I did the math.I have 22 accounts less than 12 months old. Closing these accounts will actually increase my  AAoA when they fall. Obviously, that is as long I I don't go crazy and open more accounts.

In ten years they fall off they are figured into AAoA even closed for ten years. So opened or closed for ten years it wont matter as far as AAoA.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 5 of 9
Dw4250
Valued Contributor

@BungalowMo wrote:

It's not always a good practice to close accounts unless they have an AF.  These accounts will still report for at least 10 years, but if you let the creditor do the closing, they will help your AAoA for a longer period of time.

Interesting...I've never heard that before.  Do you know why is this true?

Message 6 of 9
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

@BungalowMo wrote:

One account might not have much of an impact...but 8...that remait farns to be seen.

I believe op is talking about because of the extra months before they are closed by lender. In my opinion by closing the toy limit cards that are not used looks way better to new lenders. Then a bunch of cards that make you look desperate for credit. Also in my opinion it looks better closed by consumer then lender. I believe Its far better then worrying about AAoA closing them.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 7 of 9
wHiTeSoL
Valued Contributor

@Dw4250 wrote:

@BungalowMo wrote:

It's simple once you think about it. It'll help your AAoA for a longer period of time becuase it's open longer. Instead of you closing it you allow it to sit there until the creditor closes it. 

Message 8 of 9
lexandra90
Frequent Contributor

I've closed 5 cards, not back to back, but mostly because of the toy limits and 2 were shark cards (credit 1 & first premier) 

hope that doesnt look  bad :-/

Credit: $80K Total Credit Lines...Gardening until 7/2018
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.