cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decided to close my Cabela's Visa Signature - feels great :)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Decided to close my Cabela's Visa Signature - feels great :)

Decided to close my Cabela's Visa Signature card and just completed doing so with Customer Service.

Customer Service and Cabela's themselves have always been great; this however is a card that just doesn't grow without a HP (not going to bother with that).

Although it's a Visa Signature, I have many more valuable cards and other Visa Signatures as well. CM7 closed his recently also, and I agree with him that we don't have time for cards that don't grow when we have much better rewards cards.

I also don't keep any cards under 5k, and this card is at 4k so it's time to retire it.

Feels great to be streamlining! Have a good evening everyone! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Decided to close my Cabela's Visa Signature - feels great :)

Good job keep up the good work

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 13
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Streamlining is good! I hope to lose a card or two in the fall.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 3 of 13
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I've considered making this move myself, but waiting to see who the portofolio ends up going to if the sale goes through. 

Congrats.

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good work!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good for you...

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, everyone! It was actually kind of fun hammering the EMV chip in the card with a hammer to ensure that it was no longer active. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
ddemari
Super Contributor

good for you. I have 2 cabela's visa's lol. I need to downsize. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Decided to close my Cabela's Visa Signature card and just completed doing so with Customer Service.

Customer Service and Cabela's themselves have always been great; this however is a card that just doesn't grow without a HP (not going to bother with that).

Although it's a Visa Signature, I have many more valuable cards and other Visa Signatures as well. CM7 closed his recently also, and I agree with him that we don't have time for cards that don't grow when we have much better rewards cards.

I also don't keep any cards under 5k, and this card is at 4k so it's time to retire it.

I actually just got a survey on my Cabelas card.  I used it once, when I got it, only have it for the bonus and low APR (for Cabelas purchases), and haven't had a chance to stop in the Cabelas 100 miles away.  They specifically asked if I would use it if it had a higher CL.  Seems they might be pushing their partner/issuer to look at increasing CLIs.

Just something that I noticed recently, seemed timely to this thread.

Message 9 of 13
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Another good move Humuh Smiley Happy

Trimming down the stable is a healthy choice for the profile and when the time comes makes way for even better accounts (and Limits) that you don't have to always guess whether or not if they will grow with you.

As you mentioned i closed mine last month and am glad to be rid of it finally.

Also am strategically removing low hangers under a certain amount to build up the averages across the board.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.