cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding if Citi Double Cash is worth it, or what card instead?

tag
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

Re: Deciding if Citi Double Cash is worth it, or what card instead?

Yeah, I only had like 2500 miles left at the time I PC'd, but they instantly converted to $25.00. There wasn't any type of devaluation or restrictions.
Message 11 of 48
Sharingan
Established Contributor

I believe that it's hard to go wrong with the Citi Double Cash card. Personally, I would find the application process for the QS way too detrimental to my credit to be worth what it offers, but that's just my opinion. Additionally, if I was in the mood to expend 3 inquiries, I would just go for the DC and another card I was interested in (that has a decent sign up bonus) to completely negate the biggest edge that the QS has over the DC ($100 bonus) and still get, arguably, the better card! It does seem that the DC is the card you really want anyway. You could also just save those inquiries (by getting the DC over the QS) for great cards later on as well.

As for the DC's rewards structure, there's a lot of good information from actual DC cardholders in older threads on this topic that refute a lot of misinformation being propagated.

Message 12 of 48
Gmood1
Super Contributor

If you have access to USAA or NFCU. Both offer no cap 1.5% cash back cards and higher SL's. The two things that turn me off with Citi is the low SL's and the way they credit the cash back.

Cap one QS, USAA cash rewards or NFCU cash rewards are cut and dry. You can use it as soon as it posts. No waiting for a minimum balance. Because of this QS get's way more use in my wallet. Citi DC gets used twice a year.

Message 13 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the input so far! One thing I should have been more specific about--at this moment I'm primarily looking for whatever will be the best card in terms of bolstering my credit file and keeping long-term, not bonus. I'm currently putting everything towards minimum spend for the 2 Amex bonuses, so I'm looking to stick with cards where the bonus spend is low or cards like the Double Cash that never/very rarely offer a bonus.

Message 14 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@redpat wrote:

Get the DC if you think the 2% rewards add value and don't worry about PIF before statement cutoff.  I don't know why everyone thinks they must do this, there is no reason for it.  As long as you PIF before the next statement there is no interest.

Micromanaging your utility can hold you back on large CL on future cards and CLI.

Let some highest balance report, IMO

PIF before statement cutoff actually has absolutely nothing to do with util micromanagement for me. It's that I prefer to have my checking account balance be a more up to date reflection of my spending and actual balance than it would be if I waited until after statement cut to pay. So I do make sure to let larger balances report from time to time, and typically try not to report 0% util, but my overall money management system is stronger if I don't habitually wait to pay.

Message 15 of 48
Open123
Super Contributor

In my view, if a signficant portion of your spend are in non-bonus categories, then opt for the DC.  However, if like  most of us, a large portion of your spend (most CC enthusiasts currently have a specialized card for specific expenditures) are in the bonus areas, then you may find DC's redemption threshold (assume it's $20?) restrictive.

For me, I really like the QS.  It's perfect for those small, but often necessary, transactions with dubious merchants; I really dislike redemption thresholds and delays.  I want my money now, even if it's 25 cents.  Also, it's a great no-fee and no-FTF cashback option when abroad.  With Chase & Citi starting to utilize 2 HPs (at least for me), Cap One's 3 HPs aren't as onerous, as they once were.

Good luck!

Message 16 of 48
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

In my view, if a signficant portion of your spend are in non-bonus categories, then opt for the DC.  However, if like  most of us, a large portion of your spend (most CC enthusiasts currently have a specialized card for specific expenditures) are in the bonus areas, then you may find DC's redemption threshold (assume it's $20?) restrictive.

For me, I really like the QS.  It's perfect for those small, but often necessary, transactions with dubious merchants; I really dislike redemption thresholds and delays.  I want my money now, even if it's 25 cents.  Also, it's a great no-fee and no-FTF cashback option when abroad.  With Chase & Citi starting to utilize 2 HPs (at least for me), Cap One's 3 HPs aren't as onerous, as they once were.

Good luck!

Agree (it's actually $25 for DC).    But, even DC is better than Amex's $25 threshold in increments of $25 and one month behind!

Message 17 of 48
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I could use some input on whether the Citi Double Cash is a good idea for me, or just an itchy trigger finger impulse! I want to apply for something else before my 2 new Amex cards report and tank my AAoA, and I can't decide if the Double Cash is my best bet.

"I want to apply for something else before my 2 new AmEx cards report and tank my AAoA" indicates to me that you're just looking to apply.

You always need to use your needs/wants to determine which cards suit you.  If you've done that analysis you'd have your answer.  If you're just looking to apply then you'll be searcing around for justifications for a given card like you're doing with this thread.  Don't put the cart before the horse.  Use your needs/wants to select cards that suit you.

One thing you should be doing is running the numbers for your spend on any rewards card you're considering to determine what rewards you would stand to get.  That will help you with your decision making.

@Anonymous wrote:

Double Cash would be a slight advantage over my current catch-all spend card for things that don't fall into a bonus category, but it's only a .35% difference (Travel Rewards effectively gives me 1.65% cashback).

So what's 0.35% of the spend you'd put on the Double Cash?  Unless you have a tremdenous amount of non-category spend that you wouldn't place on other cards it's a trivial amount of rewards and probably not worth all the fuss and hassle.  That said, worth is highly subjective so it's your call but it would probably help you to understand what you're worrying over with a dollar amount.

@Anonymous wrote:

TU is 765, other scores likely around the same.

Don't just assume that and always consider the specific scoring model as well as what model/CRA combo a given creditor uses.  Does Citi acutally use the TU score you're referring to or a different model/CRA combo?

@Anonymous wrote:

One thing I should have been more specific about--at this moment I'm primarily looking for whatever will be the best card in terms of bolstering my credit file and keeping long-term, not bonus.

That's not useful for us to make a recommendation.  It's how you use and manage your accounts that will really determine how well a given account bolsters your credit (or not).  Your needs/wants will determine what to keep long term and things can and do change with time.  We can't tell you your future.  You have to make a best guess based on your own experience.

Message 18 of 48
Anonymous
Not applicable

@takeshi74 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I could use some input on whether the Citi Double Cash is a good idea for me, or just an itchy trigger finger impulse! I want to apply for something else before my 2 new Amex cards report and tank my AAoA, and I can't decide if the Double Cash is my best bet.

"I want to apply for something else before my 2 new AmEx cards report and tank my AAoA" indicates to me that you're just looking to apply.

You always need to use your needs/wants to determine which cards suit you.  If you've done that analysis you'd have your answer.  If you're just looking to apply then you'll be searcing around for justifications for a given card like you're doing with this thread.  Don't put the cart before the horse.  Use your needs/wants to select cards that suit you.

One thing you should be doing is running the numbers for your spend on any rewards card you're considering to determine what rewards you would stand to get.  That will help you with your decision making.

@Anonymous wrote:

TU is 765, other scores likely around the same.

Don't just assume that and always consider the specific scoring model as well as what model/CRA combo a given creditor uses.  Does Citi acutally use the TU score you're referring to or a different model/CRA combo?

Yeesh. Condescending much? I've run the numbers on spend and rewards, I'm not looking for anyone to handle that assessment for me. People have provided useful information on things like customer service, ease of web interface, and personal experiences with rewards redemption structure for DC vs. other comparable cards, which has been very helpful and was the primary reason I posted--plus wondering if there were other cards with similar benefits that I might have missed.

I'm not making any assumptions about the various bureaus' scores being similar. I'm making an educated guess about what range they fall in based on how closely EQ and EX have mirrored TU when I've seen them in the past, and the fact that all three reports have remained essentially identical (the only variation is different specific inquiries on each, but same number of inqs). My wording was tentative because I haven't actually seen EQ or EX scores in several months, but I've seen the reports and there are no surprises there.

EDIT in response to yours: the clarification about bonus vs. long-term was so that people understood sign-up bonus potential wasn't a priority for me right now. That's all. Not a request for anyone to pull out their crystal ball.

Message 19 of 48
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

OP isn't asking anyone to make decisions for them. Most of us fully recognize that OP has a potential need for a card, and a good opportunity to fill that need (before other cards report), and is simply asking us to brainstorm with them to determine what cards, if any might be suitable to them. Quite simply that is how most of us on this board determine what the obscure benefits to various cards are -- by disussion. How else is OP supposed to make an informed decision if they can't discuss their options?

Anyway, how much do you expect to put on the card? That might help you decide if the Cities redemption threshold is too burdensome.
Message 20 of 48
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.