Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciding what to app

tag
flyingace
Valued Member

Deciding what to app

Hey all; so I'm new to the forums, and I had a question that hopefully someone can answer! 

I'm fairly new at credit history (Credit Karma ~ 2 years old history) -- only 21 yo, so I'm trying to build it up. Some information on me: I apped for a Chase card earlier this year but was denied due to limited history and utilization on my mom's credit card (I was an authorized user), so I got off that (she took me off her card), and apped about a month later for NFCU cashRewards... got approved at 1500K CL. According to their acceptance letter, I had a TU of 693 and FAKO of 673... open car loan of about 22K and student loans totalling nearly the same. So far, my only HP has been NFCU (lol). 

I'm looking to get another credit card, since my history is limited and I want to build up a little more, so I was wondering if you all could recommend one that might fit my profile, as I don't want to waste another HP and I would rather do it now that way it doesn't affect my credit age as much as it might if I waited. Apped for a Target store card and still haven't heard back, but haven't had a HP yet regarding that card, so don't know what the status is on that. 

What do you guys think? 

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Goals: 740 EQ/EXP/TU
Gardening until 12/3/13 -- or longer
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Deciding what to app

Hello and welcome to the forums...

So you said NFCU is your only HP?

Normally they pull once for membership and once for the card...

You also said you applied for Chase and Target?

So...what are the totals on your HP's???

How long have you had the NFCU card?

Are you a student?

What is your income?

Do you have ANYTHING negative listed on your credit reports?

What is your FICO score for EQ and TU?

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 8
blk8
Regular Contributor

Discover, Capital One, and Walmart would be a good start. Also, a lot of banks offer "student versions" of their cards.

I think you have a great chance with all 3.

FICO: EX 662 | EQ 670 | TU 681
Message 3 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Are you a student? If you are stiil then chase forward and discover it both are excellent cards and can be obtained with thin files

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 8
flyingace
Valued Member

Thanks! Glad to be here... 

NFCU so far is the only HP. Membership I was joint with my dad (Navy) so they never HP for that... Yes, I apped for both of those, but interestingly, I never saw anything from Chase for a HP, nor do I see anything from Target on there... so the HP total is still 1. 

I've had the NFCU card for about a month. I just graduated, income level is 25K but I have a steady job. There is nothing negative on the reprots... when I got the letter from NFCU, they pulled from TU, and said the score was a 693. I haven't checked EQ... it's also possible TGT/Chase could have used a different credit report as well to pull from. 

In my Snoopy holder: NFCU Flagship Sig Visa-- $11K | Chase Freedom -- $2500 | AMEX BCE -- $2000 | Amazon Visa -- $2000 | Discover It $1500| Old Navy Visa -- $1000 | Target Red Card -- $300

TU (Disc Pull 4/29/13) -- 752 | AmexEQ (6/13/13) -- 728 | AmexEXP-- 737 | AmexTU-- 737 (5/28/13)
Message 5 of 8
flyingace
Valued Member

So, just checked, to help you all out... FAKO like I said is 673, TU is 693 and EQ is 731. 

Three inquires on EQ. Two of them are auto and actually the other one is from TGT two weeks ago, leading me to believe that I was denied, since I haven't received a letter.

Message 6 of 8
dodfire
Valued Contributor

I think you might have a shot with Discover.

My honest thoughts for you....is to let your NFCU card report for 6 months and then look at applying. 

*8/10/13
Message 7 of 8
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

I agree with dodfire. If you want or need store cards, I would recommend the shopping cart trick (to minimize HP's) and perhaps a GE card.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.