Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decline for Chase, Discover & BankAmericard

tag
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Decline for Chase, Discover & BankAmericard

I apped for All three and was declined for all three! FML! I did a recon for all three as well and all said the same thing, a Stupid charge off from 2009.. UGH! My credit score was about 640, How much do you think my credit will drop after having 3 declines?

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
johnnie23g
Established Member

Re: Decline for Chase, Discover & BankAmericard

I wouldn't be concerned about the declines but the INQs that cause the declines. I would say 10 points or so. Also it depends on how many current INQs you have on your credit.

experian -725 5/21/2012 Equifax- 734 Trans Union 725 3/31/2012
Trans Union Discover HP - 766 8/31/12

CC- Amex Blue 24.5g, Merrill Lynch + 25k, Chase Freedom 3.5g, Discover 6g, Citi Diamond Prefered 5.9k, Citi Sears 6k, Home Depot 5k

Charge Card- Home Depot 5k,
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Tommy,

Those 3 banks you applied for are very prime institutions.  I recommend trying:

American Express Zync

Barclays Apple Financing card

Capital 1

Good luck!

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Tommy,

American Express Zync

Capital 1

Good luck!

Are you implying that AMEX is a subprime bank, and therefore; the OP may get approved for the AMEX Zync?  Don't waste the inquiry with AMEX OP. 
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Zync is AMEX's entry level account.  They put tighter reins on the card in exchange for more liberal approval.

Message 5 of 8
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Tommy,

American Express Zync

Capital 1

Good luck!

Barclay's isn't easy; they're just a little less stringent than some others.

Cap One has different levels -- you need to be sure you're apping for their lower level card. There is sub-prime and some that seem in-between sub-prime and a higher level card (don't know how else to distinguish it -- "more prime"? that requires excellent credit). I'd look at one that does NOT require excellent credit.

Zync may or may not work. Amex isn't easy, even the Zync.

It depends on how long your AAoA is, your oldest open account, the baddie (how recent/how much/paid/etc.), # of inq, your util... It's not just based on FICO, and 640 is low for a Zync. Maybe high 600s, depending.

You'll definitely take a hit for the inq At this point, you may want to take a breather and wait a few months for the dust to settle and your inq to age, and see if you can get your FICO up a bit. Just paying down your util can do that, depending on what it is now and how many card you have bals on.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 8
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Tommy,

American Express Zync

Capital 1

Good luck!

Cap One has different levels -- you need to be sure you're apping for their lower level card. There is sub-prime and some that seem in-between sub-prime and a higher level card (don't know how else to distinguish it -- "more prime"? that requires excellent credit). I'd look at one that does NOT require excellent credit.

It depends on how long your AAoA is, your oldest open account, the baddie (how recent/how much/paid/etc.), # of inq, your util... It's not just based on FICO, and 640 is low for a Zync. Maybe high 600s, depending.

You'll definitely take a hit for the inq At this point, you may want to take a breather and wait a few months for the dust to settle and your inq to age, and see if you can get your FICO up a bit. Just paying down your util can do that, depending on what it is now and how many card you have bals on.

+1...From what is being reported at this forum lately, Barclay is not as liberal with their approvals (even after recon) as they were at the end of last year. Guess that holiday spirit has faded a bit Smiley Mad

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 7 of 8
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Tommy,

American Express Zync

Capital 1

Good luck!

Thanks Bichonmom!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.