Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined! AMEX 61 day 3x CLI

tag
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Declined! AMEX 61 day 3x CLI

I planned it out and today, on my 61st day, I requested a 3x CLI on my BCP. Yes, that request was declined! 

I'm shocked because my credit reports and scores are even better than when I originally apped, so I'm confused as to why they'd decline my request.

What should I do next? Recon? Call their recon #? They offered to do a menual review, but I wasn't sure if it'd make it a HP or not. This is disappointing and frustrating. Of course, your advice is appreciated and I thank you in advance. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
24 REPLIES 24
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: Declined! AMEX 61 day 3x CLI

What is your current limit? If it is small like $1,000 then Amex is very tight with cli's for a while. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 2 of 25
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

It's a modest limit, so I guess it's just a waiting game. At least it's only a SP with the decline. 

Who knows? Maybe they'll offer me an auto CLI in the next 6 months as I continue to rack up the balance and pay it off. I've been swiping like crazy - maybe that'll work in my favor. 

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My second credit card which I applied was a Blue Cash Everyday in July 2015. I was approved for a 2000 starting credit limit, which through an immediate CLI request on my part, managed to double to 4000 by August. This March I requested another CLI to get to 11,500 and this Month I requested another CLI to get to 24,500. 

Essentially, I was able to do it with incredibly young credit, having just one credit line of any sort with an age of 5 months prior to applying for the BCE. I ran approximately 600-800 a month from July to about February of this year, paid in full and immediately, and have had no problems reaching my current CL.  

Just to clarify, this is your first CLI request with American Express? How have you been spending and paying with them across all of your accounts?

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you receive a reason for the denial?

Is there a chance you were off by 1 day on your request date?  If so, perhaps something as simple as trying again tomorrow or the next day may yield a favorable result.

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't be surprised if the letter says something about not enough history with AMEX. My 61 day was declined on my ED for that reason and my scores went up 80 points. I'm hoping they see it differently when I app for a CLI on my BCE next week.

Message 6 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not enough history to me would imply that the 61+ day general guideline wasn't met... the same way if a CLI is requested inside of 180 days after an initial CLI that is the typical reason given.

Message 7 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, in order to get some idea of reasons, a bit more specifics are needed:

How long have you had the Platinum? How long the revolver?

What is the specific limit on your revolver?

What are you using as the start date for the 61 days?

What was your EX score at the time of the app? 

How has your EX score changed since then? When was the Chang in score that you saw, on EX and what caused the score to improve?

AMEX uses a SP for the CLI, and that SP may be 2 months or more in the past. If your score improved more recently, and AMEX has not done any other SP, then the score changes would not be available for them to see.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 8 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not enough history to me would imply that the 61+ day general guideline wasn't met... the same way if a CLI is requested inside of 180 days after an initial CLI that is the typical reason given.

I verified with them and it was my 63rd day. They wanted more history because of my AAOA.

Message 9 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

That isn't what it means. What it means is that the cardholder is dangling at the edge of the risk threshold and Amex wants more evidence of credit worthiness before raising the limit.

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.