Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined Chase Freedom :(

tag
TheRealJosh94
New Contributor

Declined Chase Freedom :(

No luck on getting approved on the Chase Freedom card today. Applied last night and got a message pending, so I thought they needed more information since my credit file is thin ( less than a year). Moreover, I called first thing this morning (called back door number) and within a second a manager answered the phone and I provided him with my info. After he put me on hold he tells me I was declined because of short credit file, only 6 months. I asked If there was anything he could do to help me out. Turns out he asked if I had a bank account with chase, mortgages, installment loans, etc. with chase I said no, then he said if I had one I could of gotten approved. Weird. But it's w.e. it's my 6th hard inquire on my EQ file so I'm done credit card shopping for a while. I guess when I turn 19 I will try again!
Current line: Capital One Journey's, $750, Capital One Venture 10k, Discover IT card, $2100 , American Express Gold Card, NPSL, BestBuy Citi Card, $4000, Chase Marriott 7k, Chase sapphire 3k, Citi simplicity 2k, Citi diamond preferred 2.8k.
Age: 20 Credit score: EQ: 760 TU:750 EX:745 Goal: 800 age 25
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Declined Chase Freedom :(

@TheRealJosh94 wrote:
No luck on getting approved on the Chase Freedom card today. Applied last night and got a message pending, so I thought they needed more information since my credit file is thin ( less than a year). Moreover, I called first thing this morning (called back door number) and within a second a manager answered the phone and I provided him with my info. After he put me on hold he tells me I was declined because of short credit file, only 6 months. I asked If there was anything he could do to help me out. Turns out he asked if I had a bank account with chase, mortgages, installment loans, etc. with chase I said no, then he said if I had one I could of gotten approved. Weird. But it's w.e. it's my 6th hard inquire on my EQ file so I'm done credit card shopping for a while. I guess when I turn 19 I will try again!

Chase generally needs atleast a year. I will agree with you. No more apping for atleast 6 more months. I am assuming that you have atleast 2 open cards. If NOT, you need them.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 16
RhubarbPie
New Contributor

you should call again and see if you get a more sympathetic CS rep. Sometimes even if the first recon call doesnt work, the 2nd one might!

Message 3 of 16
fearlessdragon
Valued Member

I have less than 4 months of history and I got my freedom after my 5th recon call. But I had CHase checking account and the Credit Analyst saw that I paid my Discover through my Chase checking and approved me for 1200. So try again...

Discover - 12/30/2013 - $8900
DCU - 01/05/2013 - $5000
Chase Freedom - 04/28/2013 - $2700
Citi Thank you - 05/29/2013 - $4500
Chase Sapphire preferred - 09/01/2014 - $8000
Chase United Explorer - 9/01/2014 - $1500
Amex Blue Cash Everyday - 5/2013 - $16000
Citi Costco - 10/2018 - $6000
Chase freedom Unlimited - 8/1/2020 - $8100
CK TU score : 735
CK Equifax: 743
DCU free EQ score : 723. Missed 15 payments in 2017.
Message 4 of 16
TheRealJosh94
New Contributor

I will but I hope I don't get the same guy again. But I'll call again tomorrow to see what they can do for me!
Current line: Capital One Journey's, $750, Capital One Venture 10k, Discover IT card, $2100 , American Express Gold Card, NPSL, BestBuy Citi Card, $4000, Chase Marriott 7k, Chase sapphire 3k, Citi simplicity 2k, Citi diamond preferred 2.8k.
Age: 20 Credit score: EQ: 760 TU:750 EX:745 Goal: 800 age 25
Message 5 of 16
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Try to recon again but Chase typically likes 12 months of revolving credit before approving for their cards.

Message 6 of 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@TheRealJosh94 wrote:
I will but I hope I don't get the same guy again. But I'll call again tomorrow to see what they can do for me!

Sorry to hear about the Freedom CC decline.  However, not everyone calling over and over will get successful results.  As it appears that you don't have a Chase relationship established to leverage an approval and the fact that your file is still considered thin will only result in another denial.  You may get a sympathetic ear, and while some folks encourage to call again, this will be counterproductive.  I would hedge the advice/consensus of other seasoned posters above who have suggested to garden what you have.  Just remember, credit is not a race, and the Freedom CC will be around for a while.

Message 7 of 16
JonStur
Established Contributor

If you want this card bad enough, are you willing to establish a relationship with them ( ie. checking, savings)?

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 8 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@TheRealJosh94 wrote:

Sorry to hear about the Freedom CC decline.  However, not everyone calling over and over will get successful results.  As it appears that you don't have a Chase relationship established to leverage an approval and the fact that your file is still considered thin will only result in another denial.  You may get a sympathetic ear, and while some folks encourage to call again, this will be counterproductive.  I would hedge the advice/consensus of other seasoned posters above who have suggested to garden what you have.  Just remember, credit is not a race, and the Freedom CC will be around for a while.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You don't want a toy limit approval, I would consier gardening for a year then getting a good starting CL from them!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

I would just wait if I were you. Chances are if you are approved they will give you a 500-1000 card.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.