New Contributor
TheRealJosh94

Declined Chase Freedom :(

No luck on getting approved on the Chase Freedom card today. Applied last night and got a message pending, so I thought they needed more information since my credit file is thin ( less than a year). Moreover, I called first thing this morning (called back door number) and within a second a manager answered the phone and I provided him with my info. After he put me on hold he tells me I was declined because of short credit file, only 6 months. I asked If there was anything he could do to help me out. Turns out he asked if I had a bank account with chase, mortgages, installment loans, etc. with chase I said no, then he said if I had one I could of gotten approved. Weird. But it's w.e. it's my 6th hard inquire on my EQ file so I'm done credit card shopping for a while. I guess when I turn 19 I will try again!
Current line: Capital One Journey's, $500 CL, Discover IT card, $2100 CL , American Express Gold Card, NPSL, My BestBuy Citi Card, $3000
Valued Contributor
vish1

Re: Declined Chase Freedom :(

TheRealJosh94 wrote:
No luck on getting approved on the Chase Freedom card today. Applied last night and got a message pending, so I thought they needed more information since my credit file is thin ( less than a year). Moreover, I called first thing this morning (called back door number) and within a second a manager answered the phone and I provided him with my info. After he put me on hold he tells me I was declined because of short credit file, only 6 months. I asked If there was anything he could do to help me out. Turns out he asked if I had a bank account with chase, mortgages, installment loans, etc. with chase I said no, then he said if I had one I could of gotten approved. Weird. But it's w.e. it's my 6th hard inquire on my EQ file so I'm done credit card shopping for a while. I guess when I turn 19 I will try again!

Chase generally needs atleast a year. I will agree with you. No more apping for atleast 6 more months. I am assuming that you have atleast 2 open cards. If NOT, you need them.

Amex PRG | BoA Cash rewards 35K | BoA Cash rewards 7K | Citi AAdvantage 15 K | Chase Sapphire Preferred 11 K | Chase Freedom 10k | Chase United 5 K | Chase Southwest 5K | Chase Airtran 6.4K | Discover IT 8K | Barclays US Airways 7.8 K | DCU 3 K | US Bank Flex Perks 8K | Toys r US 6 K | JC Penney 4.6 K | Macy's 1200 | Kohl's 600
Ex Fico: 762 (PSECU)
EQ Fico: 764 (DCU)
TX Fico: 773 (Discover)
New Contributor
RhubarbPie

you should call again and see if you get a more sympathetic CS rep. Sometimes even if the first recon call doesnt work, the 2nd one might!

Valued Member
fearlessdragon

I have less than 4 months of history and I got my freedom after my 5th recon call. But I had CHase checking account and the Credit Analyst saw that I paid my Discover through my Chase checking and approved me for 1200. So try again...

Discover - 12/30/2013 - $750
BOA 99/500 Secured 123 - 12/31/2013 - $500
DCU - 01/05/2013 - $3000
Cap One Newcomer Card - 02/24/2013 - $500
BOA 123 Cash Rewards - 04/24/2013 - $2000
Chase Freedom - 04/28/2013 - $1200
Citi Thank you - 05/29/2013 - $6000

CK score : 713
Quizzle: 701
Credit Sesame: waiting to update
DCU free EQ score : 688
New Contributor
TheRealJosh94

I will but I hope I don't get the same guy again. But I'll call again tomorrow to see what they can do for me!
Current line: Capital One Journey's, $500 CL, Discover IT card, $2100 CL , American Express Gold Card, NPSL, My BestBuy Citi Card, $3000
Valued Contributor
boomhower

Try to recon again but Chase typically likes 12 months of revolving credit before approving for their cards.

Valued Contributor
FinStar

TheRealJosh94 wrote:
I will but I hope I don't get the same guy again. But I'll call again tomorrow to see what they can do for me!

Sorry to hear about the Freedom CC decline.  However, not everyone calling over and over will get successful results.  As it appears that you don't have a Chase relationship established to leverage an approval and the fact that your file is still considered thin will only result in another denial.  You may get a sympathetic ear, and while some folks encourage to call again, this will be counterproductive.  I would hedge the advice/consensus of other seasoned posters above who have suggested to garden what you have.  Just remember, credit is not a race, and the Freedom CC will be around for a while.

Established Contributor
JonStur

If you want this card bad enough, are you willing to establish a relationship with them ( ie. checking, savings)?

Starting Score: TU 686 EX 641 EQ 690
Current Score: TU 779 EX 767 EQ 740
Goal Score: 800 Club

BCE $12.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Wally Discover 10K, Cash+ $9K Sam's Discover 10K, Freedom $6K, Zales $5.5K, More $5K, Cap one $5K, Barclay 2.5K, Household Plat $1.5K, Household Gold $1.5K, Credit One $1K, First Premier Plat $.675K First Premier Gold $.65K
Mega Contributor
LS2982

FinStar wrote:

TheRealJosh94 wrote:

Sorry to hear about the Freedom CC decline.  However, not everyone calling over and over will get successful results.  As it appears that you don't have a Chase relationship established to leverage an approval and the fact that your file is still considered thin will only result in another denial.  You may get a sympathetic ear, and while some folks encourage to call again, this will be counterproductive.  I would hedge the advice/consensus of other seasoned posters above who have suggested to garden what you have.  Just remember, credit is not a race, and the Freedom CC will be around for a while.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You don't want a toy limit approval, I would consier gardening for a year then getting a good starting CL from them!

Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App 12/16/13 - Looking for a clean slate NO INQ's / Diamond Inspired!
Starting Score:
EX (PLUS) 583 EQ FICO 565 TU FICO 590 3/15/2011 / Goal Scores: 720
Current Score: EX FICO (PSECU) 671 (myFICO) N/A / EQ FICO 679 / TU08 FICO 678 / TU VS 706 3/6/2014
Super Contributor
enharu

I would just wait if I were you. Chances are if you are approved they will give you a 500-1000 card.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+