Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined for AMEX Green. Advice ?

tag
pat0812
Regular Contributor

Declined for AMEX Green. Advice ?

I applied yesterday for the amex green and i got declined, because i don't have 6 months credit history (that's what experian report gave amex)

next month i will get to 6 months.

should i try again then ? will my inquiry from last night hurt my chances with  amex in the future or it doesn't matter? i heard a lot of people got approved only after 2-3 applications

FICO 8's EX 770 EQ 751 TU 771 (1/16/17)
Amex Gold Premier rewards ( Charge Card)
Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Declined for AMEX Green. Advice ?

@pat0812 wrote:

I applied yesterday for the amex green and i got declined, because i don't have 6 months credit history (that's what experian report gave amex)

next month i will get to 6 months.

should i try again then ? will my inquiry from last night hurt my chances with  amex in the future or it doesn't matter? i heard a lot of people got approved only after 2-3 applications

if thats the only reason then yes. but i would wait a little longer. i mean since you dont have an amex yet id wait until december to do so. 

then youll get backdating to 2012 no matter when you app again. 

the more inq's will hurt you after a certain amount but they stop being in effect after 1 year and fall off of your reports after 2. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 2 of 14
shakalaka
Established Contributor

I was approved with 6 months history, but for the Zync. For it is no longer available, Green is the next logical card to apply for. But we do not know, what Amexco have changed since removing the Zync. Or if something new will follow the Zync. But I guess we should know by December.

I would also wait a little longer. What other TL do you have?

Amexco also likes to pull all three reports, if it is borderline (they did for me).

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would apply again in December.  I was approved for a Gold card with 8 months history, so it should be do-able.

Message 4 of 14
pat0812
Regular Contributor

I have a Wells fargo $300 secured card

Capital One Platinum (unsecured) $500

Walmart Store Card $400

Always PIF and i never go above 9% UTI

Never made a payment late, my report is clean

The only thing is that I have only 5 reported months on my report

So you all say i should wait till December and get my first score to see which card i should apply for ? What are my chances with the green or gold ?

Amex Blue cash - $47,800 Wells Fargo - $15,000 Citibank Simplicity - $13,800 Barclays Apple - $13,000 Walmart Mastercard - $8000 Chase Slate - $7,200 Discover It - $5,500 Capital One - $5,250
Message 5 of 14
shakalaka
Established Contributor

@pat0812 wrote:

I have a Wells fargo $300 secured card

Capital One Platinum (unsecured) $500

Walmart Store Card $400

Always PIF and i never go above 9% UTI

Never made a payment late, my report is clean

The only thing is that I have only 5 reported months on my report

So you all say i should wait till December and get my first score to see which card i should apply for ? What are my chances with the green or gold ?

Depends what follows after ZYNC. But in December you should be good to go for Green. 5 months was/is the problem. There should be at least one TL with 6 months reporting.

I would wait until December. The will most certainly pull all three cr, and if you are not approved in November ... Patience is your friend. I know it is hard. But December will still give you 2012 for backdating later.

Message 6 of 14
pat0812
Regular Contributor

By the way i have already 6 inquiries on my credit report (6 hard pulls), because i'm new and i had to try my luck ( i had 2 of the waisted on stupid things, but i guess you need to learn from mistakes)

Will this hurt me a lot ? or if my accounts are in good standing i should be fine ?

Message 7 of 14
shakalaka
Established Contributor

If you stop applying, you should be fine. Inq are discussed often here and the opinions differ. I was approved for Discover with 7 Inq on my EQ in 6 months. As long as you do not have Inq with no new TL (declines for approval) you will be fine I think.

Garden what you have till December and then shout again. Also you can use the pre approval from Discover and if pre app shout for it. I did the same. But again, patience is your friend. In one year from now you will be way into prime.

Message 8 of 14
nissanaltimacrazyhorse
Established Member

wait till december like people said you will back date all of 2012

chase sapphire preferred 5k
capital one venture 5k
amex blue cash preferred 2.5k
chase freedom 500
amex premier reward npsl

trans union 705 goal 750
equifax 675 goal 750

Message 9 of 14
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@shakalaka wrote:
I would wait until December. The will most certainly pull all three cr, and if you are not approved in November ... Patience is your friend. I know it is hard. But December will still give you 2012 for backdating later.

i dont think its a certain card. 

i had 4 pulls on ex.   2 cards reporting 18months +

amex pulled all 3 of my reports and gave me a 500 cl on zync 

aaoa was 8/9 months. 

not to discourage you. 

im sure if i apped for green instead of zync i would have gotten it. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.