cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined for Amex because i already have a card?

tag
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

Declined for Amex because i already have a card?

I decided to apply for an Amex Green today and got Declined with this message:

"Thank you for your recent application.  We were unable to approve your request for the following reason:

Because you have the ZYNCSM Card with a spending limit, we cannot open another American Express card account for you at this time.

An important notice concerning your rights is included.  The creditor is American Express Centurion Bank.

We hope you are enjoying the benefits and services of your ZYNC Card."

**bleep**? I also noticed while choosing a card that the ZYNC was no longer listed, was it discontinued?

Message 1 of 39
38 REPLIES 38
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Declined for Amex because i already have a card?

Yep, it's "exclusive" now.
Guess Amex's not going to be in a hurry to move Z's into the Green AF yet.

Message 2 of 39
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Does your zync have the $200/$500w/autopay limit? 

If so that is why 

Message 3 of 39
shakalaka
Established Contributor

You have the Zync with the hard limit? Maybe you are not qualified yet for the NPSL. Just a guess.

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 4 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has been documented before. You would have to cancel your Zync to get another charge card with NPSL. So, if you really want NPSL, cancel the Zync. Or, you could wait it out and see what they decide to do for people who have Zyncs with PSL's. My guess is they won't do anything and just continue to keep the accounts open for all members with Zync's.

Message 5 of 39
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

I'm willing to bet it's under six months for him. If not, uh oh.... bad sign for what's to come for a handful of people.

Message 6 of 39
TheConductor
Established Contributor

You weren't declined because you already have a card.

You were declined because the card you already have is a probationary card with a spending limit. Once you graduate to a true NPSL (no preset spending limit) Zync they'll be happy to consider your application, but right now they want to get to know you a bit more with the card you have.

That's how I interpret the language of their denial.

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 7 of 39
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@TheConductor wrote:

You weren't declined because you already have a card.

You were declined because the card you already have is a probationary card with a spending limit. Once you graduate to a true NPSL (no preset spending limit) Zync they'll be happy to consider your application, but right now they want to get to know you a bit more with the card you have.

That's how I interpret the language of their denial.

This is entirely true, HOWEVER, the PSL will never leave your zync (unless they have changed something since it is now discontinued). The only way to get rid of the PSL on your zync is to cancel it and reapply for a new card. 

Message 8 of 39
djrez4
Established Contributor

Not because you have the Zync, but because it's restricted.

Message 9 of 39
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

I already called Amex a few months ago and was told that the Zync would never graduate to a NPSL regardless of how long i have it.

I have the one with the $500 limit which i have been using moderately for over a year (yes i have had it for over a year) with no late payments, I do not think it is even enrolled in autopay since i have never been billed automatically and on the website it has that link that says "Enroll in Autopay".

I have actually tried applying several times for other cards since amex does not do a HP for cardmembers anyway (Primarily the Gold Card) and always get declined with the reason being "Your Cardmember riskscore is too high", This is the first time i get that message that says i have a Zync so i cannot get another card.

Message 10 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.