cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined for Amex because i already have a card?

tag
bmd0224
New Contributor

Re: Declined for Amex because i already have a card?

@Anonymous wrote:

This has been documented before. You would have to cancel your Zync to get another charge card with NPSL. So, if you really want NPSL, cancel the Zync. Or, you could wait it out and see what they decide to do for people who have Zyncs with PSL's. My guess is they won't do anything and just continue to keep the accounts open for all members with Zync's.

With all due respect this is not true. I opened a Zync with NPSL in July and just this past month I opened a Premier Rewards Gold card with NPSL due to the better rewards structure and the bonus points. It would be resonable to believe that if you get one charge with NPSL you could have multiple. YMMV.

01/11/13:
EQ Fico: 716 (from myfico)
TU Fico: 719 (from Walmart)
EX Fico: 719 (from myfico)

Chase Sapphire Pref. II AMEX Platinum II Amex PRG II Amex SPG II Citi AAdvantage II Barclays US Airways II Chase Freedom
Message 21 of 39
adavis425
Established Contributor

The hurdle seems to be AMEX's internal scoring. No matter the FICOs or FAKOs, AMEX still uses a formula mixed with FICO and their own internal secret numbers. Smiley Frustrated I'd cancel and reapp.

AmEx Platinum | AmEx BCP | AmEx Delta Gold | CSP | Chase Freedom | NFCU cashRewards Visa Sig | NFCU Plat MC | WM MC | Discover it | JCP

Message 22 of 39
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@bmd0224 wrote:

With all due respect this is not true. I opened a Zync with NPSL in July and just this past month I opened a Premier Rewards Gold card with NPSL due to the better rewards structure and the bonus points. It would be resonable to believe that if you get one charge with NPSL you could have multiple. YMMV.

This person has a limit on their Zync and that is what is stopping them from getting another card.

Message 23 of 39
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

I tried applying for the Delta Skymiles since it is in a different category from the Zync but i still get that message, before i use to get a message that my Cardmember score was too low.

This is very strange, first they discontinue the card and now they do not even let you apply for anything else if you have the PSL Zync.

Message 24 of 39
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

For what little it's worth, I wouldn't apply for anything new as a Zync holder while Amex figures out what they're going to do with the existing Zync cardmembers.

Since Amex backdates the loss of a few months payment history and some fractional amount of one's spend over the next few months from a different rewards structure, it doesn't hurt much if at all to hang out for a few months while Amex announces their plan... and as far as backdating goes, 1/13 app >> 10/12 app and that's only 3 months away by which time hopefully Amex will have figured things out and told us what's up.

        
Message 25 of 39
shakalaka
Established Contributor

Agree, maybe they will surprise us with something nice ... can´t hurt to hope

FICO (TU/EX/EQ): 773/766/778 - Total CL 255+K
Message 26 of 39
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

+2 whats 90 days? 

the only thing i think now is if they dont and i app on 1/1 lets say they send me that letter if i closed my zync (not that i would) 

i wouldnt be able to app until 2/1(per the 30 day rule) unless 1/31 but still. then it would be a hard pull. 

and btw it does effect it on joint appliers as well. costco amex denied my mother because of amex zync limit. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 27 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bmd0224 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This has been documented before. You would have to cancel your Zync to get another charge card with NPSL. So, if you really want NPSL, cancel the Zync. Or, you could wait it out and see what they decide to do for people who have Zyncs with PSL's. My guess is they won't do anything and just continue to keep the accounts open for all members with Zync's.

With all due respect....read everything before hand  and then post - I have a Zync, a PRG, and a BCE. But my Zync was NPSL. Those with PSL's (such as the OP's account) cannot app for another card until the the PSL no longer exists. Amex has told card holders they will not remove PSL's - rather they tell you to app for a new card which you cannot do until you close your account with PSL.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the Zync. But, my guess, they will keep the Zync's as it considering what they have done with the Optima.

Message 28 of 39
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Keep the Zinc open for SP reasons.  If you close now without another card it'll be an HP down the road.  The Zinc limit is BS and I see why they're canceling the card.  The OP's post is a good example why. 

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 29 of 39
Elcid89
Contributor

@migliogiorni wrote:

Keep the Zinc open for SP reasons.  If you close now without another card it'll be an HP down the road.  The Zinc limit is BS and I see why they're canceling the card.  The OP's post is a good example why. 

Amex has a history of being bipolar in its approach to subprime credit. It will, time and time again, try to find a way to go after the market, then pull back just as quickly.

It's almost as though it can't decide what it wants to be when it grows up.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.