cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined for Amex because i already have a card?

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Re: Declined for Amex because i already have a card?

i would call the exec line and ask.(at least thats what i plan on doing in jan) 

hopefully by then they get there act together. 

i wont be apping till at least jan 14. so by then i know my aaoa will be about 1 year 10 months and all of my inquries will have aged to be non factor. so closing the zync would not be a problem for me. 

i dont have any packs other then the free one.  the only quirk i have with that is that i would have to pay the af for only 4 months of use. 

the 500 limit doesnt bother me since i can push payments straight from my bank as many times as i want. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 31 of 39
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

I still cannot get over the fact that they won't allow you to apply for any other card as long as you have the $500 Zync, It is almost as if they are descriminating against these cardmembers, So much for the "Buliding a relashionship with amex" philosophy.

Message 32 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree Denny. It's impossible to build on something that isn't buildable. 

Message 33 of 39
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Hopefully by then ethier they are clearly in good standing and they may upgrade card to npsl or just get their act together. 

you would think that maybe if you called the exec office and say that you have my soft report in front of you. if you tell me that i will get approved for xx card being the only reason i got denied was the hard limit i will close my account right now and put in app in with you. and if it gets denied i want to reinstate my zync (wishful thinking)

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 34 of 39
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

It's a hard pull anyway with an approved Amex application so the SP benefit is minimal  if you wait till you are pretty assured of getting approved.  The only real downside is if you wanted to keep the hard limit Zync for whatever reason.

I'm of the opinion one can still build with the hard limit Zync, just they have some irritating policies which may or may not get changed in the future.   FWIW I think the idea made more sense when one could've closed and re-applied for the Zync itself if that was your card of choice (like it is for me currently), though I don't know what Amex's thoughts were regarding not removing the hard limit ever, that does seem a little extreme but I wouldn't go so far as to say it doesn't help one build a relationship with Amex, just you have to do a little more of a dance with regards to two-stepping to your long-term card.  The Zync never provided any PC options in the past anyway though the hard limit is admittedly more restrictive.

From a post earlier today it sounds like you can get a Green now with 6 months of history, so perhaps the underwriting wasn't quite as different as I thought in that regard or perhaps it changed with the Zync's being discontinued.

        
Message 35 of 39
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

That would be the ideal solution, they soft my credit report almost every month for "Account Review" anyway, I don't see why they couldn't just use one of these pulls to tell me if i would be approved for another card.

I have had the Zync for over a year with perfect history but i guess that does not matter to them anyway, It would be a risk to close the zync and apply for another card since my EX score is hovering around 670 which seems to be a grey zone for amex apps.

I will wait until the year ends but if nothing changes i will probably just close the card, I was approved for a Cap One Rewards card so i have a pretty good card now anyways, and with a higher limit.

Message 36 of 39
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Do you get a strange reponse out of the pre-selector tool?  I'd be curious if I had a hard-limit to see if that portion of the system recognized that and kicked me out as well.

        
Message 37 of 39
Denny33142
Regular Contributor

I just tried it.... No offers.

Just out of curiosity i went to the Discover site just to see if i had any offers from them and it came back with the Discover More and Open Road, So the reason i don't have any offers from Amex might be because of the Zync, god i am starting to hate this card.

Message 38 of 39
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

well thats what i mean. i saw this card was the easiest to get with amex. so after i got my tier 1 finance from toyota i apped for it. 

im sure if i did amex in the begining of the summer when my aaoa was over a year i could have gotten gold or the other charge cards. 

yeah i know the soft pull thing is minimal but if i close the card and dont get approved for whatever reason i dont have the card anymore and all my other apps regardless until i get with amex again will be hard pull. 

by then i have a feeling ill get upgraded to the walmart discover though....(jan 14'/15')

edit: as for that. i was pre apprvd for more/it and motiva and cap one plat and some other cap one card. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 39 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.