Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined for BOA Secured?!?!?!

tag
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Declined for BOA Secured?!?!?!

@rootpooty wrote:
One thing you need to know is that secured cards take forever to process/receive. I wouldn't bother with orchard secured card. Its another card that doesn't graduate then you will be stuck with it and cap one. Read up on USA a secured MasterCard or amex. Wells Fargo and us bank also offer secured cards. Also look into local credit unions in your area. Most credit unions can do a secured CC and will grow with you once you show good history

Actually most CU/USAA secured cards do not, at all.  C1 is one of the few that does as you can deposit more money.

The OP probably qualifies for an Orchard unsecured, which is why I made the suggestion but all of yours are legitimate recommendations though I'd skip Wells Fargo.

        
Message 11 of 32
Cotton_Britches
Frequent Contributor

You could always get a second Capital One secured card. I have two.

Just paid off one of them tonight as a matter of fact!   Smiley Very Happy

“Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”
Message 12 of 32
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I'm a big fan of secured installment loans, as it will help you with positive installment history, and you don't pay fees, you just pay a nominal interest which is slightly offset by the interest you gain in your deposit CD.  I did this back when Chase did secured loans

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 13 of 32
FrugalRican
Blogger

I'll agree with Revelate, I wouldn't worry about 6 points because of an inquiry at this point, you'll get another card, and in a few months, the thought of the denial will be history.

Just remember that, in the future once your credit is so much better, how BoA decided not to give you a chance. Good luck.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 14 of 32
js0319
Established Contributor

I app'd for a Wells Fargo secured card a few months ago, and they denied me on the basis that I didn't have enough funds in my accounts and my direct deposits were insufficient to justify a secured card. I had over $4k in my accounts, and I was going to secure the card with $1k. Also, it was not my primary account, it was a secondary bank account. Point being - don't do Wells Fargo either. My credit isn't very good either, but it still hurts getting denied for a secured card with which your backing up with your own hard earned cash.

AMEX PRG - NPSL I AMEX Everyday Preferred - $34.8k I Capital One Venture - $20k I Chase Sapphire Preferred - $25.5k I Chase Southwest Rapid Rewards Premier - $20.7k I Barclay Arrival + - $10k I Capital One Quicksilver - $10k I NFCU Flagship Rewards Visa Signature - $15k I NASA FCU - $10k I Texell FCU Visa - $5k I Chase Freedom - $9.9k I Citi Double Cash - $7.8k I Discover IT - $5k I NFCU CLOC - $15k I Total Unsecured Credit - $188,700

EQ FICO - 714 (5/24/16) I TU FICO - 772 (5/24/16) I EX FICO - 770 (5/24/16)
Message 15 of 32
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@js0319 wrote:
I app'd for a Wells Fargo secured card a few months ago, and they denied me on the basis that I didn't have enough funds in my accounts and my direct deposits were insufficient to justify a secured card. I had over $4k in my accounts, and I was going to secure the card with $1k. Also, it was not my primary account, it was a secondary bank account. Point being - don't do Wells Fargo either. My credit isn't very good either, but it still hurts getting denied for a secured card with which your backing up with your own hard earned cash.

Wow they denied you for a secured cc with 4k sitting in the bank... seriously.. Ok Wells Fargo is not worth it!

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 16 of 32
JenniferinFL
Frequent Contributor

A lot of bank secured cards have funny stipulations, like you can't get a US Bank secured card if you have a banktupcy on your record.

Both of my primary cards are Capital One. A lot of people here aren't wild about them, but, they gave me decent limits for my credit situation. My husband has much better credit than me and has had the same $300 limit for a few years now, while I started with a $1000 limit on one card and a $500 limit on another with scores in the low 600's. His scores are 700+.

Another Cap One secured probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but, eventually you'll want to ditch them in favor of something without an annual fee. Cap One Jouneys doesn't have an annual fee and I don't believe the Cap One Sony or Playstation cards have annual fees either.

Current Cards: Cap 1 Journey $3000, Cap 1 Playstation $2250, WFNNB Store Cards $2450 combined, Target $700, CareCredit $1700, Barclay Rewards Plat. Mastercard $1800, Old Navy $300, DCU Platinum Rewards Visa $2000, Swagbucks Rewards Visa $1000

Starting Score: 615 EQ (03-15-2012) 600 TU (03-21-2012 Barclays app) ) Ch.7 discharged 5/2009

Current Score: 671 EQ (09-27-2014 DCU) 660 TU (9/26/14 Barclays) Ex 688 (10/07/2014 Swagbucks)

Gardening since 9/22/2014

Message 17 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@JenniferinFL wrote:

A lot of bank secured cards have funny stipulations, like you can't get a US Bank secured card if you have a banktupcy on your record.

Both of my primary cards are Capital One. A lot of people here aren't wild about them, but, they gave me decent limits for my credit situation. My husband has much better credit than me and has had the same $300 limit for a few years now, while I started with a $1000 limit on one card and a $500 limit on another with scores in the low 600's. His scores are 700+.

Another Cap One secured probably wouldn't be a bad idea, but, eventually you'll want to ditch them in favor of something without an annual fee. Cap One Jouneys doesn't have an annual fee and I don't believe the Cap One Sony or Playstation cards have annual fees either.

Don't discount having cards from multiple lenders.  I could theorize on a few underwriting ideas, but occasionally banks have technical problems (or think you have account ones) and at times they're going to overreact and freeze all credit accounts rather than one (if they suspect fraudulent transactions on one or both).  

While the tradelines are the same, it sucks if both cards you're carrying have the same snafu which is less likely with multiple lenders.

        
Message 18 of 32
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Revelate wrote:

@rootpooty wrote:
One thing you need to know is that secured cards take forever to process/receive. I wouldn't bother with orchard secured card. Its another card that doesn't graduate then you will be stuck with it and cap one. Read up on USA a secured MasterCard or amex. Wells Fargo and us bank also offer secured cards. Also look into local credit unions in your area. Most credit unions can do a secured CC and will grow with you once you show good history

Actually most CU/USAA secured cards do not, at all.  C1 is one of the few that does as you can deposit more money.

The OP probably qualifies for an Orchard unsecured, which is why I made the suggestion but all of yours are legitimate recommendations though I'd skip Wells Fargo.

Think I misread the top quoted comment.

Most secured credit cards don't grow, C1's sorta does as it's partially secured; however, it does not unsecure.    The only ones we know reliably unsecure are BOA, US Bank, and maybe Citi and once in a blue moon Wells Fargo.

Where I screwed up (my apologies) is that *lenders* can grow with you: it'd require a new application for a new card (can't product change or get higher limits etc.); however, they have higher tier credit products which you may want later.  In that regard, absolutely USAA, CU's that offer cards, and any non-subprime lender which offers prime producs qualifies under that and that can be a big advantage later as some of them will reward loyalty.  I don't know that it's a critical factor but it probably can't hurt, and neither Orchard nor C1 (not really, I know there are some exceptions) offer much in the way of prime cards that people routinely want.

        
Message 19 of 32
nick125
Valued Member

If it makes you feel any better, I tried for a Capital One secured card as my first card and they declined me... Smiley Tongue

Alliant CU (12/11, $12.5k); Chase Freedom (3/12, $3.3k); Discover IT (7/12, $30.5k); American Express Blue Cash Preferred (10/13; $26k); Capital One Venture (3/15; $24k)
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.