Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Declined on pre-approved cards

tag
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

Declined on pre-approved cards

Every so often DH gets pre-approved CC offers in the mail.  On occasion he applies and every single time in the past couple of years he's been declined.  Why do CCC's do that?  Is it common for them to send a pre-approval letter to someone they have no intention of giving a CC to?  Has that happened to any of you here before?
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Declined on pre-approved cards

It just happened to me with Wamu. I called to ask why bother to send me an offer and they said something must have changed with my scores. I said yes..they have gone up!!! It's just frustrating to waste an inquiry on these things.
Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Phoenix-rising wrote:
Every so often DH gets pre-approved CC offers in the mail.  On occasion he applies and every single time in the past couple of years he's been declined.  Why do CCC's do that?  Is it common for them to send a pre-approval letter to someone they have no intention of giving a CC to?  Has that happened to any of you here before?

It's quite common, actually.  A pre-approval is not the same thing as an "approval before you apply."  In fact there is no such thing as that.  The only way to know for sure whether you will be approved is to apply.

CCCs send out preapproved offers based on lists that they get from CRAs that include people with certain characteristics on their reports.  They don't actually see your report itself, however, until you actually apply.  This is why you can still be declined after receiving a preapproval.  Your DH may have met the broadest, most general guidelines as far as what the creditor is looking for, and so he got a preapproval based on those criteria, but once they looked at his report in detail they apparently saw something they didn't like, which led to the decline.

Sorry about the bad luck.

Message 3 of 9
Phoenix-rising
Frequent Contributor

giant56 wrote:
It just happened to me with Wamu. I called to ask why bother to send me an offer and they said something must have changed with my scores. I said yes..they have gone up!!! It's just frustrating to waste an inquiry on these things.

Exactly!  It encourages you to apply and then BAM not only do they pull the rug out from under you by declining, but to add insult to injury there's one more thing to count against you on your CBR.  I can see why DH gets so disgusted.

And sorry Wamu did it to you recently.
DH's FICOS: July '08 TU-661 / EQ-593 / EX-656 --> April '09 TU-730 / EQ-705 / EX-685

MY FICOS: July '08 TU-735 / EQ-727 / EX-767 --> April '09 TU-789 / EQ-774 / EX-767
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input cheddar. I have a better understanding of the process now. I will be much more discreet in my applying for these in the future.
Message 5 of 9
Uniqua
Established Contributor

Wow! I feel so lucky. I had been getting WaMu pre-approved offers for about a year. When I got an offer that I was satisfied with, I app'd and got approved in 30 seconds. $2k CL. My highest CL yet and I'm fresh out of Ch 13 BK discharge.
Message 6 of 9
glamchick
Established Contributor

Yes beware and always read the small print before applying. 
Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 7 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

National City Visa pre-approval was the real deal for me.  I would stay clear of WaMu and AE pre-approvals.  They both send me ones and I had products of their in DMP.

Sounds stupid but these days if I was looking for a new CC, I would take my chances and apply on my own.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 8 of 9
scramblingin2007
Established Contributor

marty56 wrote:
National City Visa pre-approval was the real deal for me.  I would stay clear of WaMu and AE pre-approvals.  They both send me ones and I had products of their in DMP.

Sounds stupid but these days if I was looking for a new CC, I would take my chances and apply on my own.

Add Citi to the list. They hurt my feelings with a fat denial the other day, and to think I was "pre approved"
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.