cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decrease in quality Amex offers, how often do you use yours?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Decrease in quality Amex offers, how often do you use yours?

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

I've noticed in the last few months the quality of the Amex "special purchase" offers that I get has been going down in quality significantly. When I first got my Plat, there was a plethora of hefty MR offers popping up quite often, iirc the likes of

- Spend $500+ at Torneau, get 25,000 MR

- $750+ at Ferragamo, get 35,000 MR

- Double at Barneys or NM (I forget)

or just any triple digit dollar back or 5 digit MR offers. As of late it's really been more just "spend $20 at this boutique, get $5 back". Considering their Platinum demographic (or even the offers on my Blue and PRG used to be better as well), I'm surprised it seems like they've pulled back from offering shelling out the big MR points for some of the luxury spending that their customers do. Am I the only one that likes to peep these offers ever so often and get the max rewards from them and is noticing this dip?

I read an article about this...  

Are Card Bonuses Doomed?

I believe that article is referring to sign up bonuses though. I'm referring to the amex spend offers that pop up when you log in!

Message 31 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agree with others that deals have been a little thin of late, with the same offers for the same drastically overpriced stores again and again.

That said, I used a $15 off $30 Samsclub.com offer just last month (January), and was rocking a 10% rebate on cellphone bills September through November. Both of those were on my Hilton Amex.

My other Amex, a Simply Cash Business card, has seen nothing of value since August, when I got $20 off $100 purchase at Texas de Brazil. Actually, I was able to triple-dip on that one; I got the same offer on my Simply Cash, on my Hilton card, and was able to add it to my PenFed Amex card via Twitter, an option which Amex has since taken away, sadly.

For offers like that, I've found that the most efficient method is to use the Amex card to buy the exact dollar value of gift cards to trigger the deal. That way I benefit from the deal any time I want, not boxed in by the deal expiration date. Also, I can put any spending above the required $ amount on whatever rewards card gives me the best cashback (which is almost never the AmEx card the deal is on). I got one of my best AmEx hauls on a Sam's Club offer like that; 20% off a Sam's Club purchase over a year ago. Bought $1,250 in Sam's Club cards (also redeemable at WalMart), got $250 cashback on my AmEx. Unfortunately, that was a deal I only got on a single AmEx card, and I've just finally exhausted all $1,250 in gift cards.

Right now the only deal in which I have even tepid interest is $20 off $75 at Boxed.com (on three cards). But I honestly don't know if I can find $55 of stuff worth buying at Boxed.com.

Chris.

Message 32 of 34
Sanjo812
Contributor

Maybe when I get an MR points earning card again I’ll see more offers. Some of them are okay. I mainly make use of the travel related ones. I always use the Nike GC ones and a few others. Just like some others mention. I’ll maybe check them once a month and pay attention to blogs postings about really good offers.
Eight Twelve Consulting
Message 33 of 34
barbaralee
Established Contributor

Out of curiosity I flipped through the offers, and the only one that jumped out to me was $40 on Etsy, get $10 back. I can drop $40 on Etsy, easy peasy.
Everything else were places I do not frequent.
Message 34 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.