cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell Financial Services don't do credit limit increases?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dell Financial Services don't do credit limit increases?

Hey all,

I've had a DFS account for over 2 years. Applied when I was first starting out my credit journey so they gave me a relatively low CL. Fast forward to today I have 3 AMEX cards, 2 CapitalOne and a few other store cards. Most of them are at $0 balance. I use my AMEX ED card for most everything and pay it down to $0 every month. 

I was looking to purchase a new Dell UltraSharp that runs at about $1400 by my DFS limit is only 1000. I called them today to see if they would increase it and I was told that they actually don't do credit line increases. This is the first time I've heard of a credit card not offering CLIs. I called right as their business hours were ending, so I'm wondering if the representative I spoke with just didn't want to deal with me at the end of her shift.

Anyone that has DFS ever gotten a CLI for an existing account? Just wondering if I should bother calling back tomorrow and speak with someone else.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Dell Financial Services don't do credit limit increases?

Apply for a new DFS account?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you ever get a DFS card? I never got a physical card and was wondering if you did.

Message 3 of 12
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Can't you try to pay with your DFS account and just see if the charge will go through? It might go through and would give you a CLI.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't tried just trying to pay for the order and seeing if an increase goes through. Although if it does, it'll show as 100% utilization for that card. I don't really feel like applying for a new DFS account as it's not really worth the pull. At this point I may just put the purchase on one of my AMEX cards and call it a day. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this before... seems kind of odd to not offer CLIs.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't recall ever getting a physical card.

Message 6 of 12
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I haven't tried just trying to pay for the order and seeing if an increase goes through. Although if it does, it'll show as 100% utilization for that card. I don't really feel like applying for a new DFS account as it's not really worth the pull. At this point I may just put the purchase on one of my AMEX cards and call it a day. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this before... seems kind of odd to not offer CLIs.

That's usually what I do just put it on a rewards card or a financing card depending on if I can PIF or have float it for a little while. 

Message 7 of 12
akabigo
Contributor

A few years back I charged up to my limit with DFS and paid it off when the statement cut. A month later they bumped me from $1500 to $4000 without a request. It's been sitting there ever since. I just don't use it much so I may let it close. The point being that they do increase limits at their discretion, or at least for me they did at the time.

Fico scores 800+
Message 8 of 12
eddie84
Valued Contributor

I remember contacting them a few months back regarding CLI and they said no (they don't give out CLI anymore but they used to).  Also they did send a card to me but this was in 2002 when I first opened that account.  I'm keeping mine since this is the second oldest account I have that's still reporting (the oldest is Amex in 2001).

Edit: Oh and I use it once a year to buy a 3DS game to kill time on the plane when I travel. Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 12
nursepower
Frequent Contributor

My husband had to apply for an increase. Not sure if it was a hard pull, soft pull. or no pull but he had to answer questions and wait for an answer.

BK DC 10/18/18
Walmart $400 | Target $500 | Playstation Visa $750 | Petco MasterCard ? | Best Buy Visa $2000 | Cap 1Quicksilver $2500 | Ollo $2700 | Kohl's $3000 | Comenity $3200 | Dell $4000 | Skypoint FCU $5000
Last app 6/2/21
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.