Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell Financial and Barclay Rewards, unbelievable practices

tag
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Dell Financial and Barclay Rewards, unbelievable practices

So, here we go:

In FEBRUARY 2016 I applied and was approved for Dell Financial to the tune of $3,000. In 2012 I applied and was approved for a Barclay Rewards MasterCard at $500 which has since grown to $4,330 and used semi-regularly as it is one of my higher rate cards.

After the approval of the Dell Financial, I purchased a new laptop for my wife. A mid-grade XPS for $1,300. This laptop arrives defective, so we ask for another one immediately so we could decide whether or not my wife would go with a MacBook instead. They sent a replacement. We had TWO laptops in our possession. Prior to the first statement even cutting, my wife decided she wanted to go Apple instead. We called, explained that we had two laptops, one being a defective replacement and the lady stated she could not issue two labels, so I had to ship them both in one box.

We shipped the laptops off in March and went on with life. April: you're late on your payment. No, I'm not. I returned them. Call and explain and told it will be taken care of, no late payments will be reported while the charge is in dispute. June: multiple credit trackers: "uh oh, it looks like you've missed a payment!" Reported 90 days late by who else? Dell Financial. Score drops by 50+ across the board. 478/479 payments made instead of 479/479 like it was. 100% perfect for the last 6 years.

Call in a tirade, guy is SUPER unprofessional (even though I was being less than nice, but within rights) and I have to explain to him how to treat customers. I ask why I'm reported late and why why why. He states it is because I did not return a laptop. Now I'm really hot. Get a case #, it will be taken care of in "months" because credit reporting isn't instant unless they're taking a dump on you.

At this point even with an incorrect Dell balance of over $1,300, I am at 28% utility. I get another alert last week: "you're using too much of your credit on this card." Figured it was my Bank of America card that I just balance transferred for 0% 18 months and almost maxed it. Nope. Barclay balance chased me from $4,330 to $1,500. Reason? Delinquency. Care credit cut me by $1,000 as well so far. And there is NOTHING I can do about it. In-freaking-credible. This is honestly a game I am tired of playing. It's been too long. To watch it start to crumble because a company claims I didn't return a product I had returned 3 months earlier. I need the $5,000 for utility purposes at the moment, but as SOON as I have enough utility to keep me under 30% Barclays is out. OUT! What kind of model says: "ok, he's late, on one account. He has 17 total trade lines. All current. Nearly 500 payments made on time. Payments have been made since the delinquency.....cut him." $&@! You, Barclay. And the horse you rode in on. These creditors don't consider the damage of false reporting and there's nothing we can do because it didn't hurt us financially technically.

Starting Score: EQ: 383 2/2011
Current Score: TU: 644 EQ: 648 EX: 6?? 2/2015
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Dell Financial and Barclay Rewards, unbelievable practices

Bummer.  This is why I stay on top of everything including after a return or a mess like this. Just because you return an item you should still check the account every day or two.  Can't trust humans with your credit score...  ever.

ps.  US post should have the weight of the package if you need to defend the 2 lappy's/ 1 package.

Message 2 of 15
sphinx313
Established Contributor

And I agree, I watch everything like a hawk. But when I woke up to an email stating "Dell has received your package! Your return will be processed and a refund issued to the method of payment!" I assume all is well, even though I know what that gets me. Didn't need to prove anything, they "found" it. But just such a sick joke. I was truly beside myself. Even when you do everything right. I arguably could've been more aggressive with the return process, but why is there a process at all if I have to handle the return myself? I ask my kids if they brush their teeth every single day, things that matter. I expect a return from a corporation be handled with some form of efficiency.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

File BBB complaint.  Stick it to em

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened to you. But why didn't you return the defective laptop first as soon as you received the new one? I know you were deciding if you wanted to keep it but you should have returned the defective one and then the non-defective one once you decided you didn't like it. You could have avoided this. Anyway, good luck.

Message 5 of 15
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

File a CFPB complain and always buy Apple. I can't believe people still use PCs these days.

Message 6 of 15
Sharingan
Established Contributor

Very unfortunate, but you would've still been required to keep the credit account current while Dell takes however long it takes to process your returns. There would still be statements generated and an outstanding balance to resolve until Dell issues the refund to your Web Bank/Dell Financial account. If there's a delay with an expected refund, the grievance would be with Dell, not Web Bank (Dell Financial Services). I'm sure Web Bank believes: no refund from Dell = no laptop returned yet so you are still on the hook for the balance.

Just for perspective, I couldn't ignore my Amazon Chase/Synchrony credit card accounts simply because they include items that I have since returned to Amazon. It's the cardholder's responsibility to ensure that payments are made on the credit account until the anticipated refunds post.

I'm not sure how successful any disputes will be given these considerations but best of luck.

Message 7 of 15
sphinx313
Established Contributor

I didn't return it because that was all done on the same day...she couldn't give the Dell an accurate test with a defective screen. The DAY the replacement arrived is the same day we called for the label. There was no delay. Just had to wait for the label. And, PC's are WAY better than mac's, lol. But I also happen to make my living on Microsoft products and the hardware it runs on. The day I deploy "serverOS" in my datacenter is the day I switch to the platform. Even the iPhone is trash compared to the newest offerings and always has been, but its simplicity and elegance is why I have one.

Message 8 of 15
sphinx313
Established Contributor

Yes, I sent an email complaint to Dell. This would be slightly different if Dell cut me a statement before the laptops were returned. They didn't. So there was nothing to pay initially even if I wanted to. And then when the statement did cut, it was due 30 days later and the refund SHOULD have been issued by then. I asked her if I should make the measly $51 payment or whatever it was and she said if I already returned the laptop there was no need. I accept very limited responsibility. It didn't take Dell 34 days to issue me a credit, they NEVER DID, even though the email said it was happening and I still have it. They didn't refund me until 3 months and a complaint later.

Message 9 of 15
trant3
Established Contributor

Sorry about what happened. Dell products and customer service is the worst so good luck. Anyway, I do agree with others that while refunds are pending you should've kept an eye on the balance/payments. Unfortunately, the reported lates raised red flags for other lenders which cannot be blamed. 

FNBO $15k, Aspiration Zero $11k, Affinity FCU $10k, Sofi $15k, Venmo Visa $2.7k, Apple $7k, Citi Custom Cash $14k, Citi Double Cash $15k, Citizens Bank Cash Plus $8k, Chase Amazon $3k, Chase Flex $13.6k, Chase IHG $16k, Amex BCP $9.5k, Amex Hilton $10k, Chase Freedom $26.5k, NFCU Plat $46k, NFCU Cash $33k, Discover IT $29k, Discover Miles $12k, BECU Visa $14k, Wells Fargo Active $6.3k, PenFed Promise $15k, PenFed Gold $20k
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.