Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Amex downgrade

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delta Amex downgrade

Not sure if there's an existing thread on Amex downgrades but I longer need my Delta Platinum American Express, so I IM'd AMEX saying that I'd like to downgrade and here were my results.

They gave me a list of cards I could PC to:

Delta Gold - $95

Delta Reserve - $450

Starwood - $65

Hilton HHonors - No AF

Hilton HHonors Surpass - $75

There was no Delta Options card with no AF; they said they discontinued it. Since my spend is on other cards and I want to keep the account open date (for longer than 10 years), I asked them to PC to Hilton HHonors.

Just as an FYI...I had read people saying that some cards could only PC to same product line, but my Delta Plat had SPG and Hilton cards offered as well.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Delta Amex downgrade

Interesting. I'll be in a similar situation in about a year. I'd hoped it was easier to PC to non co-branded cards, but it seems it might not be so simple. I've seen people PCing to the BCE from the Gold Delta, but maybe they were just lucky.

Message 2 of 7
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if there's an existing thread on Amex downgrades but I longer need my Delta Platinum American Express, so I IM'd AMEX saying that I'd like to downgrade and here were my results.

They gave me a list of cards I could PC to:

Delta Gold - $95

Delta Reserve - $450

Starwood - $65

Hilton HHonors - No AF

Hilton HHonors Surpass - $75

There was no Delta Options card with no AF; they said they discontinued it. Since my spend is on other cards and I want to keep the account open date (for longer than 10 years), I asked them to PC to Hilton HHonors.

Just as an FYI...I had read people saying that some cards could only PC to same product line, but my Delta Plat had SPG and Hilton cards offered as well.

Great that you can PC from Delta to Starwood, I may do that in the future. 

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you still fly Delta?  If not, the only good card out of the list is Starwood....

Message 4 of 7
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you still fly Delta?  If not, the only good card out of the list is Starwood....

Why are the others not good??. this is great information op. I think the gold AF will not kill me. so i will keep it. but i do need a hotel card in the future. so it may be a hilton. Amex is on my black list right now. so balance paid in full both cards. SD time. might even take recurring charges off of my cards.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taxi818 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why are the others not good??. this is great information op. I think the gold AF will not kill me. so i will keep it. but i do need a hotel card in the future. so it may be a hilton. Amex is on my black list right now. so balance paid in full both cards. SD time. might even take recurring charges off of my cards.

Thats why I asked the question. If OP flies Delta then the lower tier may work.  For the Amex Hilton cards, a quick research will tell you they are not really worth it leaving the Starwood which is a very good card.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't fly Delta, I got this card before I "knew anything" about the miles and/or points game. I think the companion pass enticed me. Then I realized I never fly Delta  because of routing and I still kept the card for a few years. Then I become educated, and lo and behold, this card is an anchor in my AAoA, so I decide to keep the account #, but I don't want to pay for it anymore so I downgrade to no AF card Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.