Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Reserve vs. PRG

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Delta Reserve vs. PRG

AMEX cards: PRG vs Delta Reserve. or normal Platinum

I am saving up MR to travel. I got the 25k PRG and the 15k EDP sign-up bonus in February. I now have 35k and 25k in MR. More, but it takes month to see what I really have. I have about 30k in Delta Miles from dining out on the rewards program. 

My plan is to gain points to travel or just pay for travel and receive one ticket free. I want to go to LA for a few days, followed by NYC for several days for our first trip. Later I want to travel to Europe. These trips are going to be once or twice a year with my wife to different places for leisure. 

If I get a Delta Reserve, I could get sky lounge access, assuming I make time to try it out. Also, first class companion ticket, yearly. However, the points earned just on regular spend is only 1, compared to PRG which is 2. Would the Companion ticket make up my spend. Also would I be able to sit by my wife when I make reservations. Am I able to upgrade the companion ticket to Delta one with the bed chairs?

Which is more benefitial to me with the plan above. I didn't think the PRG and the Delta Reserve card need to be in my wallet at the same time. Please chime in and tell me what you guys think. Thanks

Recently, most of my spend have been going to Discover, just to start a relationship and gain high CLI. Regardless, I would like the best way to travel when my spend comes back to the PRG/EDP combo vs EDP/Delta Reserve. Or should I be considering Platinum card from Amex (above the PRG, not the Delta)

Any and all advice are welcomed. Please give me some Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Berk
Established Contributor

Re: Delta Reserve vs. PRG

It sounds to me like all you want are MR points for travel and are thinking about lounge access as a secondary benefit while waiting in the airport. You can't beat the PRG for the points in my opinion. The Amex Plat is a great travel perks card - look at all the benefits and see if you would use them. 

This is what I do - I fly exclusively on Delta. I fly for business and pleasure. I have the Delta Plat card and the Amex Plat card. My company requires that I use their corporate card when booking flights and I have to book main cabin fare. I upgrade to either Comfort+ or 1st using my Delta Plat on Delta's web site. That gets me 3 points per 1 $ spent for the upgrades and the Amex Plat gets me lounge access (which my company won't pay for either). I get the benefit of the flyer miles which I then use for tickets or upgrades on my personal travel. The Amex Plat is a perks card so the points are 1/1 unless booking through Amex Travel and then it is 2/1 so, unless you travel a fair amount and can benefit from the perks, the card really isn't worth the AF - again, this is my opinion. The Delta Plat will get you reduced fee access to the Sky Clubs in addition to the companion ticket.

For all things relating to flying check out this forum:

(Mod Cut-Im sorry links to this site cannot be posted on myFico)

They discuss it all.

Hope this helps.

Message 2 of 11
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Reserve gets you first class companion. Delta Plat doesn't.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Berk wrote:

It sounds to me like all you want are MR points for travel and are thinking about lounge access as a secondary benefit while waiting in the airport. You can't beat the PRG for the points in my opinion. The Amex Plat is a great travel perks card - look at all the benefits and see if you would use them. 

This is what I do - I fly exclusively on Delta. I fly for business and pleasure. I have the Delta Plat card and the Amex Plat card. My company requires that I use their corporate card when booking flights and I have to book main cabin fare. I upgrade to either Comfort+ or 1st using my Delta Plat on Delta's web site. That gets me 3 points per 1 $ spent for the upgrades and the Amex Plat gets me lounge access (which my company won't pay for either). I get the benefit of the flyer miles which I then use for tickets or upgrades on my personal travel. The Amex Plat is a perks card so the points are 1/1 unless booking through Amex Travel and then it is 2/1 so, unless you travel a fair amount and can benefit from the perks, the card really isn't worth the AF - again, this is my opinion. The Delta Plat will get you reduced fee access to the Sky Clubs in addition to the companion ticket.

For all things relating to flying check out this forum:

They discuss it all.

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much. I appreciate you answering the post. I will check out that site.

Message 4 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP, if you aren't sure you will travel a ton, consider the Delta Gold card. That starts you out with some good basic perks, first checked bag free, Group 1 boarding (just before the herd) and it also allows you to buy into the Delta lounges for a $27 day fee. So if you aren't certain you will use the lounges at all, this gives you the option without the high AF. Whether your SO gets in as well, I think not, but the AMEX Platinum also has limits on guests [someone can correct me on that one, haven't tried SO yet]

Next, consider the Delta Platinum. This adds the annual companion ticket, not first class, but then you aren't paying first class anyway. With the points accumulation you are at, it seems unlikely you would earn miles enough to use miles to pay for first class. The Platinum Delta also allows you to buy into the Delta lounges for the reduced day fee. The Delta Platinum also provides a MQM boost of 10,000 MQM if you spend $25k in a year. This can be a big help if you want to get to Silver status or from Silver to Gold Medallion status.

If you plan to pay for first class, then the Delta Reserve may make sense. Keep in mind the Delta lounges are limited locations. The AMEX Platinum will get you the wider lounge access, including Delta lounges when you are flying Delta that day, along with a number of other nice perks. The AMEX Platinum lounges have more international locations, Delta not so much. You really have to be travelling more than once a year to make the AMEX Platinum worthwhile, however.

Also, in many cases to get the direct benefit of the Delta AMEX cards, you have to use that card directly. So for example, you could not pay the reduced $27 day fee for a Delta lounge with the PRG if you are relying on the Delta Gold card to get the reduced fee, you need to use the Delta Gold card as the payment method for the $27 day fee. Not a huge deal, but then the $27 isn't counted toward your PRG One Airline reimbursible fees.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 11
Berk
Established Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

OP, if you aren't sure you will travel a ton, consider the Delta Gold card. That starts you out with some good basic perks, first checked bag free, Group 1 boarding (just before the herd) and it also allows you to buy into the Delta lounges for a $27 day fee. So if you aren't certain you will use the lounges at all, this gives you the option without the high AF. Whether your SO gets in as well, I think not, but the AMEX Platinum also has limits on guests [someone can correct me on that one, haven't tried SO yet]

Next, consider the Delta Platinum. This adds the annual companion ticket, not first class, but then you aren't paying first class anyway. With the points accumulation you are at, it seems unlikely you would earn miles enough to use miles to pay for first class. The Platinum Delta also allows you to buy into the Delta lounges for the reduced day fee. The Delta Platinum also provides a MQM boost of 10,000 MQM if you spend $25k in a year. This can be a big help if you want to get to Silver status or from Silver to Gold Medallion status.

If you plan to pay for first class, then the Delta Reserve may make sense. Keep in mind the Delta lounges are limited locations. The AMEX Platinum will get you the wider lounge access, including Delta lounges when you are flying Delta that day, along with a number of other nice perks. The AMEX Platinum lounges have more international locations, Delta not so much. You really have to be travelling more than once a year to make the AMEX Platinum worthwhile, however.

Also, in many cases to get the direct benefit of the Delta AMEX cards, you have to use that card directly. So for example, you could not pay the reduced $27 day fee for a Delta lounge with the PRG if you are relying on the Delta Gold card to get the reduced fee, you need to use the Delta Gold card as the payment method for the $27 day fee. Not a huge deal, but then the $27 isn't counted toward your PRG One Airline reimbursible fees.

The fee is $29.00 per club visit per airport per day (normal cost is $50.00) or $50.00 for a day pass. Each person is charged the entrance fee. This is true as well with the Amex Platinum Card. The card holder gets in at no additional fee but each family member or up to two non family guests are charged the $29.00 fee. Priority Pass, (membership included with the Amex Plat card) has the $27.00 additional family member/travel companion fee for club access. However, if you have the Amex Platinum and are at an airport with the Centurion Lounge, then you and up to two family members/guests may enter at no additional cost. Amex is starting to add lounges at more airports. Some of them are quite nice and have some great amenities.  

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Both of you make valid points.

You make the normal Platinum appealing because I have access to more than just delta lounges/flights. For first class, in August, it only cost 150kish-170k MR/Delta miles to go from HNL to LAX for 2 days and then NYC for 5-6 days and return to HNL via LAX or SEA connection flight. All first class or Delta One, with the beds. This would cost $1850ish-2k if I paid cash (which is also fine). Per a person. I am close to having this in MR/Delta miles for one person. 

1) How many hours between connection flights, do I have to wait to actually enjoy the the lounge?

2) Besides that, I heard the platinum also offers companion tickets but I would have to pay for the refundable ticket which is 1k more than the normal tickets (from what I see). Does my wife get to sit next to me if this is in-fact a scenario?

3) If I bought the ticket on PRG or another card and I wanted to use the Lounge. Could I call the number on the back of my Platinum or Delta Reserve and get into the Lounge?

4)Booking through Amex, does that give better prices or benefits than booking directly through Delta?

5)Should I always buy First class? Doesn't the Delta Reserve offer free upgrade?

6)Basically, If I only travel twice a year to different places we have never been, with my wife (it will be first class). Regardless of using MR/Delta miles or paying, which card will be most beneficial, in other words, best to get first class or flights in general with perks and eventually reduced prices?

Message 7 of 11
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Both of you make valid points.

You make the normal Platinum appealing because I have access to more than just delta lounges/flights. For first class, in August, it only cost 150kish-170k MR/Delta miles to go from HNL to LAX for 2 days and then NYC for 5-6 days and return to HNL via LAX or SEA connection flight. All first class or Delta One, with the beds. This would cost $1850ish-2k if I paid cash (which is also fine). Per a person. I am close to having this in MR/Delta miles for one person. 

1) How many hours between connection flights, do I have to wait to actually enjoy the the lounge?

Since I connect through Atlanta I generally allow 1.5 hrs between connections at a minimum because of the size of the airport and the distance between arrival and departure gates. This is Delta's main hub so there are Sky Clubs everywhere so I have plenty of time to get to my departure terminal and relax in the club for a bit. Just so you know - the food is very limited - hard to make a meal out of it except for breakfast.

2) Besides that, I heard the platinum also offers companion tickets but I would have to pay for the refundable ticket which is 1k more than the normal tickets (from what I see). Does my wife get to sit next to me if this is in-fact a scenario? That can be a bit difficult from what I understand. The flyertalk forum will have all that info.

3) If I bought the ticket on PRG or another card and I wanted to use the Lounge. Could I call the number on the back of my Platinum or Delta Reserve and get into the Lounge? Either the Delta Gold or Delta Platinum will get you into the lounge at the reduced rate.

4)Booking through Amex, does that give better prices or benefits than booking directly through Delta? No.

5)Should I always buy First class? Doesn't the Delta Reserve offer free upgrade? I do not know the answer to that question. However, as a general rule, upgrades are given to medallion members first - http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/skymiles/medallion-program/medallion-benefits/unlimited-complimentary-medallion-upgrades.html

6)Basically, If I only travel twice a year to different places we have never been, with my wife (it will be first class). Regardless of using MR/Delta miles or paying, which card will be most beneficial, in other words, best to get first class or flights in general with perks and eventually reduced prices? For air travel, in my opinion, nothing beats Amex Platinum. However, it does have a $450 anual fee. The Delta Reserve also has a $450 anumal fee.

Hope this helps. Others might have more/better info than this. Google can be your best friend for finding much of this info out and flyertalks.com will be a much better resource for travel related info than this forum ever could be.

Message 8 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

This info is helping me.because these are 2 of several preapprovals I've received from them, but don't know anything about the cards.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 9 of 11
Berk
Established Contributor

@RM21 wrote:
This info is helping me.because these are 2 of several preapprovals I've received from them, but don't know anything about the cards.

The Amex web site has all the benefits of both cards listed. Of course, all the exceptions are in the fine print.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.