cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta Skymiles Gold worth upgrading to platinum?

tag
MCHammerFan
Established Member

Delta Skymiles Gold worth upgrading to platinum?

My mom has a Amex Skymiles Gold and is contemplating if it's worth upgrading to the Platinum version or downgrading to Reserve. Her annual spending is around 22K a year and with that spending has gotten her significantly discounted flights to the Philippines (she flies every year). Lately she has been telling me that she doesn't want to even both with the AF unless she it is explained to her that the Gold/Platinum is worth it. So far I understand the biggest difference between Gold and Platinum is that, Platinum members get Medallion Status faster. Could anyone help clarify the matter on this? I wish I could just convince her to get the CSP and be done with it, but my family seems to refuse to do business with Citi and Chase.

Edit: I realized I put this in the wrong section.

EXP 787 Equifax 779 TU 768
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
makin_no_cents
Valued Member

Re: Delta Skymiles Gold worth upgrading to platinum?

Interesting question but I "can't touch this." Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 7
Gornet
Frequent Contributor

What do you mean by downgrading to the reserver card? I thought the reserve was over the platinum if i was not mistaken?

PRG NPSL - Reserve 4.5k - Delta Gold 6.5k - Ritz 6.8k - CSP 5k
My Credit story
Message 3 of 7
Membersince2013
Valued Contributor

it's worth it if she plans on using companion tickets every year. If not, then no. In all honestly, the companion ticket, priority board and free luggage fees will basically cover the annual fees and then som, every year, assuming she uses it every year though. If doesn't plan on using it every year or frequently, then there's no point in upgrading. And yea, the reserve is high than plat.

Arrival+ | Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard | Citi Double Cash | CapOne QS (2) | Citi Diamond P | Freedom | Fidelity Amex | Amex Plat | Old Blue Cash | PRG | SPG | BCP | HHonors Surpass | Cap1 Venture | Discover | CSP | Cap1 Venture1 | BOA CR&TR (2) | Ritz Carlton | Southwest Rapid Rewards | Hyatt (2) | US Airways Mastercard (2) | Wells Fargo Rewards Visa | Marriott Premier (2) |

Fico Scores as of 2/21/15 - EX: total crap, TU: total crap, EQ: total crap
Message 4 of 7
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Here's a link to the site on Amex to determine the perks for the Delta Platinum.  From what I have read in the reviews section, the annual fee went up to $195 from $150 recently.  Moreover, regarding the companion ticket, some people are saying that you have to purchase a ticket that is close to full Y fare in order to be able to get the companion ticket.  If so, that isn't much of a savings unless it's a business class ticket to Europe or Asia.  If that's what your mother buys in the first place, then that'll work for her.  She has to spend $25,000 a year to get the 10,000 MQM (Medallion qualification miles) to get to Silver Medallion level.  I can tell you that the perks with Silver Medallion aren't all that great.  Unless she is willing to pay the $195, I would stay with gold.  All the other perks are pretty much the same comparing gold to platinum.

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 5 of 7
randeman
Frequent Contributor

Sorry:  https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/skymiles/25330?linknav=us-ccsg-cardservices-PlatinumD...

Experian Score: 689--Amex 27 July 2014; Equifax Score 680--MyFICO--17 September 2014; TransUnion Score 718-Discover 20 August 2014--PUH-RAISE JESUS, I finally broke 700!!! Cards and Credit Lines: Escape by Discover, Chase Freedom Signature Visa, Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Signature Visa, Chase Sapphire Preferred Signature Visa, Barclay's Holland America Visa, Citibank Custom Credit Line, Paypal Custom Connect Credit Line, Bloomingdale's, Macy's Premier Elite, Amazon Store Card, Lord & Taylor, Nordstrom, Discover It, Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, PayPal BML.
Message 6 of 7
MCHammerFan
Established Member

Thanks for the replies, based on the responses I'll tell her to keep the Gold then.
EXP 787 Equifax 779 TU 768
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.