Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta changes

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Delta changes

Delta is at it again and now you apparently can't even see the miles required for a flight until you search it. Also there appears to now be a requried three week advanced notice to book domestic saver awards. With these latest changes is anyone going to ditch their delta cards? 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Delta changes

@red259 wrote:

Delta is at it again and now you apparently can't even see the miles required for a flight until you book it. Also there appears to now be a requried three week advanced notice to book domestic saver awards. With these latest changes is anyone going to ditch their delta cards? 

I just met my spend bonus last week on my amex and was curious today at work and I was able to see how many miles it would cost for a flight just fine.

Message 2 of 15
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

I ditched mine 2 weeks ago after using my last miles for a trip to MSY.

PC'd to SPG.

This is what red is trying to say:

http://skift.com/2015/02/09/delta-kicks-frequent-flyers-again-by-removing-its-award-charts/

Message 3 of 15
red259
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Delta is at it again and now you apparently can't even see the miles required for a flight until you book it. Also there appears to now be a requried three week advanced notice to book domestic saver awards. With these latest changes is anyone going to ditch their delta cards? 

I just met my spend bonus last week on my amex and was curious today at work and I was able to see how many miles it would cost for a flight just fine.

I just checked and misunderstood. What they did was they used to show a rewards chart like the othe airlines, so you could see what the flat rate was for regions. Now they require you to select your departure/destination and date of travel before telling you the points required. This is annoying for a bunch of reasons, but now they can do devals without major announcements. I search the flight for multiple days and the cost ranges from 60k miles to 112.5k miles and all sorts of miles requirements for the dates in between. I don't really care because I refuse to deal with delta due to their constant devals and I am hoping this behavior does not spill over to the other airlines. 

;
Message 4 of 15
red259
Super Contributor

@ibmrad7 wrote:

I ditched mine 2 weeks ago after using my last miles for a trip to MSY.

PC'd to SPG.

This is what red is trying to say:

http://skift.com/2015/02/09/delta-kicks-frequent-flyers-again-by-removing-its-award-charts/

+1 yes this is a good summary. 

;
Message 5 of 15
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Hmmm... The Delta Amex is one that I was going to shoot for towards the end of the year because I fly that airline 60% of the time. Doesn't seem like it's worth it at this point.

Does anyone know if the UW is the same for the JetBlue Amex?

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 6 of 15
bigbang91
Established Contributor

@Anomalous wrote:

Hmmm... The Delta Amex is one that I was going to shoot for towards the end of the year because I fly that airline 60% of the time. Doesn't seem like it's worth it at this point.

Does anyone know if the UW is the same for the JetBlue Amex?

Amex EDP or platinum then! 

Message 7 of 15
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Guess I am going to book my ticket any day before my miles get devalued.. I can get a round trip ticket to see parents for 25k still..  So I take it I want to book it now for say 5 months down the line if I can commit to take those days off work..  Just to make sure I don't get bent over, I should be safe that way, correct?

Message 8 of 15
red259
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Guess I am going to book my ticket any day before my miles get devalued.. I can get a round trip ticket to see parents for 25k still..  So I take it I want to book it now for say 5 months down the line if I can commit to take those days off work..  Just to make sure I don't get bent over, I should be safe that way, correct?

For any loyalty program it is always best to burn points/miles as you earn them because they can be devalued at any time. I wouldn't trust Delta to not suddenly deval given the way they have behaved in the past. 

;
Message 9 of 15
NRB525
Super Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I just checked and misunderstood. What they did was they used to show a rewards chart like the othe airlines, so you could see what the flat rate was for regions. Now they require you to select your departure/destination and date of travel before telling you the points required. This is annoying for a bunch of reasons, but now they can do devals without major announcements. I search the flight for multiple days and the cost ranges from 60k miles to 112.5k miles and all sorts of miles requirements for the dates in between. I don't really care because I refuse to deal with delta due to their constant devals and I am hoping this behavior does not spill over to the other airlines. 

I agree there is probably some change, devaluation in how Delta works with SkyMiles.

You should check closer at that Booking page. There is a toggle to switch the way you would pay for flights between Miles, or Dollars (paid) to get a direct idea of how much those flights cost in money. There is also a new feature this year where you can use some of your points, and pay for some of the flight, a mix of dollars and points. In certain cases this can work out better than using either points or miles only. And, you still get some points back when you do pay some of your flight with dollars.

The toggle gives you an idea where the cash value of a flight may be, more obviously than the miles requirement. I find that to be easier to make sense of than trying to look at a grid of potential flight miles costs and interpret that to the dollars flights I'm looking at.

Plus, by getting you to start looking at the flights you might take, their pricing is much more specific to that timeframe. These airline seat prices do change rapidly.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.