cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Delta changing frequent flier miles..now by price , not by miles.

tag
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Re: Delta changing frequent flier miles..now by price , not by miles.

@titanofold wrote:

@Burned2manybridgesB4 wrote:

@visorboy1974 wrote:

Go read the delta page on facebook, and you're gonna see a "few" unhappy campers...Smiley Very Happy

I'm sure the ones who fly for the miles rather than the status will be extremely pissed.  They'll be missing out on a ton of miles.  Delta was likely forced into this due to the fact their unused miles on the books is staggeringly high and it counts as a liability for them when they do their quarterly numbers.  Time for them to make it pretty easy to use miles and in the meantime, don't give out as many in return so that unused total can get down to a better level and thus will help return a higher profit.    

Some of the comments were funny as hell. One woman was complaining since she's GOLD, and couldn't believe there were 15+ others upgraded before her. I forget her name, but apparently the world revolved around her on the tarmac.

Yes, Delta only has one gold member at any given time. That she has it means nobody else has it and that at most there should be no one in front of her. :loud eyeroll:

Probably looking at over 1.5 million elites with 50% of them being Silver.  Meaning she's fighting with 750K members at her level or higher.  Flying from hub to hub, I'm sure there are some Diamonds that have trouble getting upgraded.  I fly United most of the time and I've seen 1Ks buried in the 50s on upgrade lists on flights between hubs.  As a United Premier Silver, I get easy upgrades from ORD to places like MSY and LAS, but unless I'm buying the upgrade, I won't ever sniff one to LAX, EWR or SFO.  Complimentary Upgrading is tough these days on any airline.        

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 11 of 22
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@titanofold wrote:

@visorboy1974 wrote:

Go read the delta page on facebook, and you're gonna see a "few" unhappy campers...Smiley Very Happy

I'm sure the ones who fly for the miles rather than the status will be extremely pissed.  They'll be missing out on a ton of miles.  Delta was likely forced into this due to the fact their unused miles on the books is staggeringly high and it counts as a liability for them when they do their quarterly numbers.  Time for them to make it pretty easy to use miles and in the meantime, don't give out as many in return so that unused total can get down to a better level and thus will help return a higher profit.    

Some of the comments were funny as hell. One woman was complaining since she's GOLD, and couldn't believe there were 15+ others upgraded before her. I forget her name, but apparently the world revolved around her on the tarmac.

Yes, Delta only has one gold member at any given time. That she has it means nobody else has it and that at most there should be no one in front of her. :loud eyeroll:

Probably looking at over 1.5 million elites with 50% of them being Silver.  Meaning she's fighting with 750K members at her level or higher.  Flying from hub to hub, I'm sure there are some Diamonds that have trouble getting upgraded.  I fly United most of the time and I've seen 1Ks buried in the 50s on upgrade lists on flights between hubs.  As a United Premier Silver, I get easy upgrades from ORD to places like MSY and LAS, but unless I'm buying the upgrade, I won't ever sniff one to LAX, EWR or SFO.  Complimentary Upgrading is tough these days on any airline.        

Earning rewards, based on set terms is fine and dandy, but a lot of people lose sight that it's a business, like any other, trying to keep afloat, and maximize profit. I honestly don't fly enough to mess around with MQM/D's, but everyone has their "niche."
Making one customer happy will just piss off another.

Message 12 of 22
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@titanofold wrote:

@visorboy1974 wrote:

Earning rewards, based on set terms is fine and dandy, but a lot of people lose sight that it's a business, like any other, trying to keep afloat, and maximize profit. I honestly don't fly enough to mess around with MQM/D's, but everyone has their "niche."

They pissed off everybody with the MQDs last year.  Now it's time to piss off everybody withthe redeemable miles.  

Message 13 of 22
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@visorboy1974 wrote:

@titanofold wrote:

@visorboy1974 wrote:

They pissed off everybody with the MQDs last year.  Now it's time to piss off everybody withthe redeemable miles.  

Well, the underlying tone of the program is to burn excessive miles from hoarders by non reward (no cash), and to give a little to the cash end.

Message 14 of 22
enharu
Super Contributor

For most people who buy their tickets in advance at the cheapest rates, especially for longer haul flights, they will most likely get lesser miles.

However for travelers whom are buying premium cabin tickets at last minutes notice, they will see a sizable bump in miles they get.

Boardingarea has a nice breakdown on the miles.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 15 of 22
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@visorboy1974 wrote:

Probably this lady here who got pissed because she didn't get her upgrade lol

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/this-epic-note-passing-war-on-a-delayed-flight-wins-thanksgi

::edited for typo::

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 16 of 22
USF813
Frequent Contributor

One way awards are a huge benefit I can take advantage of. The rest is not great but not unexpected either.

Message 17 of 22
lionsfan20
Regular Contributor

Maybe I read it wrong , I watched it on the news this morning and they made it seem that you would have alot more miles to redeem , since it nows goes by price.

Message 18 of 22
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

@lionsfan20 wrote:

Maybe I read it wrong , I watched it on the news this morning and they made it seem that you would have alot more miles to redeem , since it nows goes by price.

If you buy full fare tickets, it could be a ton more miles.  However, if you're on a budget and spend $350 on a fare from NYC-LA, you'll get a lot fewer miles. 

Message 19 of 22
Brusilov
Established Contributor

Between this and the annual fee for Gold/Platinum cards going up I don't really think the card is worth it for me anymore.  If I were a business or more frequent traveler, perhaps.  A $300 flight to SFO for example would now yield me 2100 miles (5x + 2x for using card), rather than 3178 before.  Getting to board first isn't a huge deal, and half the time you get the option to check carry on at the gate because the overhead bins are so cramped.  I think I'd rather just objectively choose the cheapest available price from here on out.  Delta, you've successfully lost a repeat customer.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.