Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denial...Too Many Inquiries?!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denial...Too Many Inquiries?!?

Trying to get understanding on how inquiries factor in to denials, because I currently have a lot if inquiries, however, none within the last 6 months.

I don't mean to be redundant, I just want to fully understand.

When you apply for credit and get denied due to "Too Many Inquiries" is the CCC usually referring to the number of inquiries in the last 6 months, or the total number of inquiries showing in your CR?

I see posts where people often say, "wait 6 months then try again" or "garden for 6 months then app again".

The 6 month reference gives me the indication that the inquiries won't be a problem if you wait 6 months.

(BTW, I do understand that they remain on your CR for 2 years, and are no longer factored into your FICO after 1 year, thanks to the information I have found on this forum) Smiley Happy
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
FrugalRican
Blogger

Re: Denial...Too Many Inquiries?!?

It depends on how they score it.

For one company it could be just one INQ within the last two years, even if it isn't factored into your FICO score.

Each company will see it differently, just ask people who have Barclay's cards.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have read enough posts on here to realize Barclay's will never make it into my wallet. I'm just not interested in a card like that. I'm nit disciplined enough yet.)

I am hoping to app for Chase Freedom, Walmart, and Amazon in about 4 months, so my question was more or less referring to those CCC.

Thanks~
Message 3 of 6
FrugalRican
Blogger

Chase Freedom is all over the place when it comes to approvals. These forums are a testament to the approvals/denials.

Walmart may be a little more lenient.

I'd say, wait and see what changes for you in 4 months, though, kudos to you for researching in advance.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 4 of 6
jefftca925
Established Contributor

I honestly think that the "too many inquiries" reason for denying an app is an "easy out" for a credit issuer.  Some folks on this forum have posted no issues with getting approved for a card/loan despite having a lot of INQs on their CR...myself included.  If your overall credit picture looks favorable (i.e. long history, low utilization, good CLs, no baddies, high FICO score, etc.) the amount of inquiries presents no problem.  If your CR is kind of young, then the weight of inquiries has more bearing on your report and therefore will send up a red flag to an issuer and cause them to deny an app.  That being said, if someone is in that situation, waiting and allowing your accounts to age some will reap BIG benefits down the road.  Patience is a true helper to achieve good cards with good limits...OH! and paying on time ALL THE TIME! Smiley Wink

CCs: Chase Freedom VS 12.9k, CSP VISA Sg 13k, BofA Amex 24.5k, Discover 12.5k, US Bank Cash+ Visa Sg 17k, Macy's Amex 8k/1.5k, Gap Visa 10k, Best Buy 11.1k, Citi TY MC 10.8k, Citi AA Amex 6k, Nordstrom VS 10k, Costco Amex 12k, BofA CR VS 5k, Amex BCP 13.5k, Amex ED 5k, Sears MC 9k, HD 7k, Target 600, Amazon 7k, US Bank MC 15k, US Airways MC 8k, NFL Visa 4k, Patelco Visa 10k, Penfed PR VS 44.6k, Chase Hyatt VS 8k, Citi Simplicity 13.3k, PayPal MC 7.5k, BBVA Visa 4k, WF VS 14k, FNBO Amex 14.1k, OCCU VISA 15k, TR Visa Sg 16.3k, C1 QS Visa 11k, FRN MC 15k, HSN 4k, Saks WEMC 10k/4k, Chase Ink 18k, Arrival WEMC 10k, Ebates VS 8k, Orbitz VS 12k, NASA V 30k, USBk FP VS 21.5k, DC 30k, VirgAm 15k, Sams MC 15k, Amex Bz Gold, Amex SC 10k, BofW Bz MC 18k
Message 5 of 6
namvet
Established Contributor

@jefftca925 wrote:

I honestly think that the "too many inquiries" reason for denying an app is an "easy out" for a credit issuer.  Some folks on this forum have posted no issues with getting approved for a card/loan despite having a lot of INQs on their CR...myself included.  If your overall credit picture looks favorable (i.e. long history, low utilization, good CLs, no baddies, high FICO score, etc.) the amount of inquiries presents no problem.  If your CR is kind of young, then the weight of inquiries has more bearing on your report and therefore will send up a red flag to an issuer and cause them to deny an app.  That being said, if someone is in that situation, waiting and allowing your accounts to age some will reap BIG benefits down the road.  Patience is a true helper to achieve good cards with good limits...OH! and paying on time ALL THE TIME! Smiley Wink

+1  This is true

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.