Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denial of Credit Card Increase

tag
score_building
Senior Contributor

Re: Denial of Credit Card Increase

@Anonymous wrote:

CreditCard101 wrote:  I believe anything that is over 10 years old and not on credit report should never be mentioned or be questioned at any time for any reasons.. That's illegal practice if they do that..

Nothing illegal about this practice.

You'll even find apps that ask if you EVER applied for BK.  If you have, even if it's aged off your credit reports, you must - legally - answer "yes."

And also be aware that your full disclosure credit reports (someone will chime in with a more correct term) include all items - even those that have "aged off" your credit reports.  These can be pulled under certain circumstances (mortgages and job applications over a certain dollar amount - maybe $200,000???  Again, someone will probably chime in with more accurate figures than I can recall).

So, for OP's question:  

Question:  Was M&T legally able to quiz me about this 1997 action (Yes) and should the information still be with Bank of America when it has dropped from all credit reports?  (Yes - your credit reports are only one source of information.  Just because an item "ages off" your credit reports, does not mean that the information is not available elsewhere).  As Dave Ramsey says, "BK is forever."  (I filed BK and I also say that life goes on after BK - and beautifully!  You just have to be savvy and be aware of how your creditors are looking at you.) 

Another excellent clarification/ rejoinder from beamMEup.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 11 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

CreditCard101 wrote:  I believe anything that is over 10 years old and not on credit report should never be mentioned or be questioned at any time for any reasons.. That's illegal practice if they do that..

Nothing illegal about this practice.

You'll even find apps that ask if you EVER applied for BK.  If you have, even if it's aged off your credit reports, you must - legally - answer "yes."

And also be aware that your full disclosure credit reports (someone will chime in with a more correct term) include all items - even those that have "aged off" your credit reports.  These can be pulled under certain circumstances (mortgages and job applications over a certain dollar amount - maybe $200,000???  Again, someone will probably chime in with more accurate figures than I can recall).

So, for OP's question:  

Question:  Was M&T legally able to quiz me about this 1997 action (Yes) and should the information still be with Bank of America when it has dropped from all credit reports?  (Yes - your credit reports are only one source of information.  Just because an item "ages off" your credit reports, does not mean that the information is not available elsewhere).  As Dave Ramsey says, "BK is forever."  (I filed BK and I also say that life goes on after BK - and beautifully!  You just have to be savvy and be aware of how your creditors are looking at you.)

(1) a credit transaction involving, or which may reasonably be expected to involve, a principal amount of $150,000 or more;

(2) the underwriting of life insurance involving, or which may reasonably be expected to involve, a face amount of $150,000 or more; or

(3) the employment of any individual at an annual salary which equals, or which may reasonably be expected to equal $75,000, or more.

Glad to help Beam!!!  Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Although BK does fall off your CR after a certain period of time, if a creditor has independant information already in their files they can use it.

What they cannot do -- under any circumstances -- is try to convince you to pay a debt that was discharged.  That is, of course, unless they have very deep pockets.  Smiley Happy 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.