Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Barclays Frontier World MasterCard - Approved for Platinum

tag
mxp114
Valued Contributor

Re: Denied Barclays Frontier World MasterCard - Approved for Platinum

@navyox wrote:

I used to think that $5k was the minimum for a World MC also but this past spring I took the bait on an Expedia booking and applied for the Citi card.   I was approved for $4k and to my surprise, when the card arrived, it was a World MC.

$5k was the old global minimum guideline required by MasterCard for WMC however they have eliminated this requirement, so some lenders have opted to issue WMC with lower lines. Citi WMC begins at $1k and Visa Signature at $2k. Afaik Barclays, Chase and Bank of America continue to enforce a $5k min for WMC/VS.

Message 11 of 16
codimom
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
Welcome to the forum. You can certainly try the recon line but its my understanding that even if they bump up the CLI you will still get the Plat.

+1

Barclays is just one of those banks that has very quirky criteria for higher-tier elegibility.  If your scores and overall profile did not meet the criteria for WMC or Visa Signature, then a Platinum it is.  Once a card is assigned as a Platinum, it stays as a Platinum.  Conversely, if you get a WMC/Visa Signature, it cannot be downgraded.  You can receive multiple CLIs throughout the life of the card but will stay in that level.  Some folks are known to carry both of the same products in both Platinum and WMC or Platinum and Visa Signature.  You may get lucky with the CLI, but not with the card version, unfortunately...YEMV.

Sorry to bring an older thread back... but I just got an email from Barclay indicating they were upgrading my Frontier platinum card to a World Mastercard.  Can I get a linke or a highlight reel on what this means to me?  Sadly, they didn't mention a CLI with the upgrade . . .

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 12 of 16
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:
Welcome to the forum. You can certainly try the recon line but its my understanding that even if they bump up the CLI you will still get the Plat.

+1

Barclays is just one of those banks that has very quirky criteria for higher-tier elegibility.  If your scores and overall profile did not meet the criteria for WMC or Visa Signature, then a Platinum it is.  Once a card is assigned as a Platinum, it stays as a Platinum.  Conversely, if you get a WMC/Visa Signature, it cannot be downgraded.  You can receive multiple CLIs throughout the life of the card but will stay in that level.  Some folks are known to carry both of the same products in both Platinum and WMC or Platinum and Visa Signature.  You may get lucky with the CLI, but not with the card version, unfortunately...YEMV.

Actually, not true.  I just got an email today about my USAir account.  They are upgrading my account to World MC.  I never brought it up with them because I thought it was not possible with them.  I get my new card in about 2 weeks.  The only thing I did was to hit the love button online over the weekend.  I asked for $7500 from $5800 and it actually gave me $8300.  I've had the card since May 2012 and got one auto CLI this past June (from $4900 to $5800).  As far as usage goes, I use it heavy and for both large and small purchases for a few months then I'll go several months without a purchase.  I happen to be using it heavy the last week and have close to 50% utilization at this moment.  

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 13 of 16
kimmiller112
Frequent Contributor

Sorry to bring an older thread back... but I just got an email from Barclay indicating they were upgrading my Frontier platinum card to a World Mastercard.  Can I get a linke or a highlight reel on what this means to me?  Sadly, they didn't mention a CLI with the upgrade . . .

I also got an email today for USAir card - mine says NPSL.

Barclays USAir World MC $8300 - DCU $7500 - USAA World MC $7000 - PayPal Extras MC (GE) $5500 - Chase Saphire Preferred $5000 - Discover It $6000 - Barclays Sallie May $2700 - Chase Freedom $1000 - Capital One $8500 (business) - store cards ranging from $500-$9500
Message 14 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

It appears Barclays is changing their tune on upgrades. The statement by FinStar has been repeated by several users when attempting to upgrade their cc's - ESP on new accounts when reconning a CL.

I'm curious as to if they are doing the upgrade to current account holders only or are they now opening this up to existing cardholders only.

Similar to how Chase will approve a $5k CL but say an account must be eligible for an upgrade to signature.
Message 15 of 16
codimom
Frequent Contributor

@kimmiller112 wrote:

I also got an email today for USAir card - mine says NPSL.

Mine said NPSL, but I thought that would be like my Visa siggy... you can go over limit, but pay it before the statement cuts?    I just can't find a good reference on what are the bennies of having a 'world' mastercard.

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.