Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied CLI Chase Bank - Suggestions? Please help

tag
glamchick
Established Contributor

Denied CLI Chase Bank - Suggestions? Please help

I received a letter of denial for CLI due to these reasons.

1. credit balances to high

2. 1 late recorded for school loan

Ive read that some people call back door numbers and get the CLI's anyways.  Can you advise me on how I can request this?

Thanks.

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Re: Denied CLI Chase Bank - Suggestions? Please help

What is your current utilization and when was the late on the school loan and how later (i.e. 30,60,90, 120+)?

Visit this thread: Backdoor Numbers

That will provide the number to call for reconsideration.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 18
vish1
Valued Contributor

@glamchick wrote:

I received a letter of denial for CLI due to these reasons.

1. credit balances to high

2. 1 late recorded for school loan

Ive read that some people call back door numbers and get the CLI's anyways.  Can you advise me on how I can request this?

Thanks.

I have no clue what's going ON. Everyone is talking about backdoor and recon. A million threads talking about getting credit by recon and sometimes 3-4 recons.

Why can't people understand that the computer doesnt understand anything about you and always makes a judgemement based on your credit profile. Unless there is some special case (which looks bad on file than it actually is), people should be working on fixing their profile not looking for recon.

I am sorry if it sounds harsh but, If you already have too much debt, you should be looking at fixing it, not trying to get new credit accounts. In addition to that you should be setting up a plan on how to avoid lates in future. Credit will come to you at its own and at better terms.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 3 of 18
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Vish, no reason to go after the OP. Most likely he is looking for a CLI to lower his util and help his FICO score. Nothing wrong with that. I see absolutely nothing wrong with people recon'ing any decline. You have already wasted the inquiry, why not at least see if you can get something out of it. Does everyone on here that gets declined deserve to be issued new or more credit, absolutely not, but for every 1 person who is legitimately denied, there is someone who was denied for something that can be explained away during a recon.

That being said, I asked him what his current util is and when the late was to get a better feel for his credit situation.

OP - If your util is at 40%+, then the likelyhood of a CLI is extremely low. If you have high util with Chase, you can almost rule a CLI out completely. Ironically, the best time to apply for a CLI is when you have a 0 balance. A recent late will almost always exclude you from a CLI as well.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 18
vish1
Valued Contributor

@cdtotten wrote:

Vish, no reason to go after the OP. Most likely he is looking for a CLI to lower his util and help his FICO score. Nothing wrong with that. I see absolutely nothing wrong with people recon'ing any decline. You have already wasted the inquiry, why not at least see if you can get something out of it. Does everyone on here that gets declined deserve to be issued new or more credit, absolutely not, but for every 1 person who is legitimately denied, there is someone who was denied for something that can be explained away during a recon.

That being said, I asked him what his current util is and when the late was to get a better feel for his credit situation.

OP - If your util is at 40%+, then the likelyhood of a CLI is extremely low. If you have high util with Chase, you can almost rule a CLI out completely. Ironically, the best time to apply for a CLI is when you have a 0 balance. A recent late will almost always exclude you from a CLI as well.

I am not against recon/backdoor or anything. I mentioned that there may be legitimate reasons to do that (I absolutely understand sometimes papers don't give the right picture). All I am trying to indicate is that for last few days, this is becoming more of a trend on the forums. Everytime someone is declined whole lot of other members encourage them for recon using backdoor. I am trying to say this is not the right trend. People should work on their credit instead of finding shortcuts. I repeat it may be fair to use shortcuts at times coz of legitimate reasons, but they should not become the way to get credit.

I have read posts here where people were declined, then declinced on recon and eventually got credit after multiple recons. I am against those kind of tactics becoming everyday things.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 5 of 18
glamchick
Established Contributor

You're right Vish!  Thank you for the negativity.  Why should I even bother trying to fix my credit at all.  I mean its not like I LOST my job and am trying to fix things now! 

And yes you are correct I am trying to get my utizliation up so I can apply for more CLI's.  I am just trying to understand how this all works.  And thats why we are all here to ask questions and to help each other out.

I have read where people get there CLI's raised even after being denied.  Some people just need a little boost sometimes..........

Gardening since 5/3/2016
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vish1 wrote:

I am not against recon/backdoor or anything. I mentioned that there may be legitimate reasons to do that (I absolutely understand sometimes papers don't give the right picture). All I am trying to indicate is that for last few days, this is becoming more of a trend on the forums. Everytime someone is declined whole lot of other members encourage them for recon using backdoor. I am trying to say this is not the right trend. People should work on their credit instead of finding shortcuts. I repeat it may be fair to use shortcuts at times coz of legitimate reasons, but they should not become the way to get credit.

I have read posts here where people were declined, then declinced on recon and eventually got credit after multiple recons. I am against those kind of tactics becoming everyday things.

Actually, reconning denials (even in the most hopeless situations) isn't nearly a new, nor an increased trend that I can tell. The conventional wisdom has pretty much always been, 'if at first you don't succeed, hang-up and dial again!'  Smiley Very Happy The 'why' is pretty simple-- you've already taken a hit for the INQ, you might as well get your money's worth. For the most part, a reasonable recon attempt(s) is harmless. It only becomes detrimental to the prospective borrower if it results in more harm to their credit scores, or AA for drawing unwanted attention to blemishes on their credit reports-- AKA when the LUV button suddenly turns into a "CLD" button. Or, if you become so single-mindedly determined to extract a CLI/APR reduction/fee waiver/product change, etc... out of an unwilling lender that you blindly, and without consideration for the big picture, rashly take AA against yourself (rash actions that you'll regret five minutes after having made them).

But, I think I get the gist of what you're saying, what we generally always encourage: smart/strategic apping (for new credit, and changes to existing accounts). It is a good idea to get the duckies lined up in a row, and to get to know your 'prey' before poking at them. Wanting, isn't always a good reason for getting, and patience is, indeed a virtue. There's little value in taking risks, at inopportune times, when the potential payoff is highly unlikely. The risk of triggering AA can be high for some recon attempts, not just for the evil bank that you're poking at, but when the others get wind that you're seeking credit (or more credit).

So, reconners, beware & be wise! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 18
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@vish1 wrote:

Actually, reconning denials (even in the most hopeless situations) isn't nearly a new, nor an increased trend that I can tell. The conventional wisdom has pretty much always been, 'if at first you don't succeed, hang-up and dial again!'  Smiley Very Happy The 'why' is pretty simple-- you've already taken a hit for the INQ, you might as well get your money's worth. For the most part, a reasonable recon attempt(s) is harmless. It only becomes detrimental to the prospective borrower if it results in more harm to their credit scores, or AA for drawing unwanted attention to blemishes on their credit reports-- AKA when the LUV button suddenly turns into a "CLD" button. Or, if you become so single-mindedly determined to extract a CLI/APR reduction/fee waiver/product change, etc... out of an unwilling lender that you blindly, and without consideration for the big picture, rashly take AA against yourself (rash actions that you'll regret five minutes after having made them).

But, I think I get the gist of what you're saying, what we generally always encourage: smart/strategic apping (for new credit, and changes to existing accounts). It is a good idea to get the duckies lined up in a row, and to get to know your 'prey' before poking at them. Wanting, isn't always a good reason for getting, and patience is, indeed a virtue. There's little value in taking risks, at inopportune times, when the potential payoff is highly unlikely. The risk of triggering AA can be high for some recon attempts, not just for the evil bank that you're poking at, but when the others get wind that you're seeking credit (or more credit).

So, reconners, beware & be wise! Smiley Happy

You got me exactly right. This is precisely the point I was trying to make.

Message 8 of 18
DI
Super Contributor

There's no backdoor number for a line of credit increase.  Some things just cannot be reversed.  Fix the reasons given for the denial and try again in 6 months.

Message 9 of 18
jason10
New Contributor

Actually, Chase has a backdoor number for a credit analyst, and they will reconsider CLI requests. At the very least, the op might be given more concrete advice regarding what he needs to get his CLI request approved.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.