Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Chase Freedom... options?

tag
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Re: Denied Chase Freedom... options?

I'm really sorry to see you applied for a Chase with only 4 months history. This is where reading through MyFico forums really helps before applying for any card. Chase is known to be a bit on the conservative side. They like a fairly thick file with some good history (time as well as clean).   I applied for them before reading and finding out I would have been denied (I had one erroneous collection, removed after contacting the state AG, combined with less than a 2 year AAoA showing, no way I was gonna get into Chase at that time). I should add, I even had history with Chase at the time (all good).

You're sort of in building mode with 4 months history on one card. The worst part about credit (building it) is the time involved. Being an AU on an established account or getting a couple "starter" cards in your own name only help you build the history you need for cards like Chase.  You may know this already, I'm just including it as many starting out don't realize it and will possibly read this thread.  Researching here and time are great allies while building and maintaining credit. You'll find a lot of insight here that most people applying for credit will never know without coming to MyFico.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 11 of 20
lithium78
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks guys, this information helps a lot. So what is the point of freecreditscore.com? It seems pretty useless compared to myfico.com

Freecreditscore.com is basically a scam.  They say it is for "education" in their fine print, but really they make their money by tricking people into thinking they are getting the same credit scores that lenders use.  I was once tricked by a similar service before Suze Orman pointed me to myFico.

Starting Score: TU: 566
Current Score: TU: 741 (Discover FICO); EQ: 755 (MyFico) EX: 774 (FAKO)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 20
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks guys, this information helps a lot. So what is the point of freecreditscore.com? It seems pretty useless compared to myfico.com

Marketing......

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 13 of 20
Trigga
Regular Contributor

IMO freecredit score.com or any other site non myfico   is only good to look at all 3 credit reports to see whats actualy in your reports rather than buying all 3 seprate if you have already gotten the  free anual credit report... i get my fake scores just to have all 3 of the reports to see whats in my reports  once every 6 months or so .. but if iw anna see my SCORE i go here to myfico 

WalMart 5k , Amazon 3.5k,Chase Freedom 1.5k , Citi TY 2k, Discover IT1.1k, HomeDepot 2.8k , Chase Slate1.5k , BofA cash rewards 1.5k, Lowes 12k , Kay Jewelers 3k , Gardening until 2015!
Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I really appreciate all the information guys. Seems like I'm going to be spending some time here for the rest of my life learning about credit.  Smiley Wink So let's say with 4 hard inquiries and a limited credit history. Are there any other cards that I can apply for that I have a chance of getting approved?

Message 15 of 20
Trigga
Regular Contributor

I used a capital one secured credit card to start rebuilding a few years ago , they report to all 3 credit bureau also..  if you have one card already and 4 inquirys why not just pay off the card you have and keep the balance as low as possible if not even at 0% , paying on time and no late payments will help your score of course

WalMart 5k , Amazon 3.5k,Chase Freedom 1.5k , Citi TY 2k, Discover IT1.1k, HomeDepot 2.8k , Chase Slate1.5k , BofA cash rewards 1.5k, Lowes 12k , Kay Jewelers 3k , Gardening until 2015!
Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase told us, very clearly, that they want 2 full years of history.

I have 2 chase card now with 15 months credit history. You can never guess result of chase recon until you try. Smiley Wink

But I agree that OP need more history on 2-3 cards. Long history on 1 card many times result in denial for "Not enough revolving accounts on CR".

I would plant some seeds now on amex zync. If approved, "member since 2011" could be very helpful on AAoA when you desire to get second amex card.

Message 17 of 20
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase told us, very clearly, that they want 2 full years of history.

I have 2 chase card now with 15 months credit history. You can never guess result of chase recon until you try. Smiley Wink

But I agree that OP need more history on 2-3 cards. Long history on 1 card many times result in denial for "Not enough revolving accounts on CR".

I would plant some seeds now on amex zync. If approved, "member since 2011" could be very helpful on AAoA when you desire to get second amex card.

very true

Message 18 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

+1

freecreditreport.com is better cause you get unlimited EX pulls once a day fro CR's.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently applied for a Chase Freedom card. I called the backdoor number to check on my application status and the lady on the phone said I was denied due to a short credit history. I asked if there's anything I can do to get anything and she said no. So now I'm here seeing if anyone has any suggestions to any options I have if any. I've had a CC for about 4 months, Experian credit score is 726.

There many unconventional method if your really desperate to get a CC. For example, you might try and get someone to assign you as an AU on their cards, preferably Amex. I am not really sure if that above would actually give you a longer history, but if the individual who allows the authorization has good credit then that would really help your account.

I am actually surprised that you have a EX score, given you only have 4 months of history.

I was under the impression that you can only get one at the 7th month.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.