Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Citi Forward: I don't get it

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Denied Citi Forward: I don't get it

Denied for Citi Forward student. Reason cited; too many recent inquires.

My TU FICO is 711 and I have 2 years AAoA. Total credit lines is around 40k. One open auto loan, never late (9k left). UTL is 15%. Called Citi RECON line and they refuse to even reconsider my app due to the inquires (auto loan inquires). They are saying I have to get a credit report mailed to them for them to reconsider the app within 30 days. I don't want to waste an inquiry but it seems like such a waste of time to do this when they are looking directly at my report. I've been trying to get in with Citi for a while. Citi Forward isn't my first choice as it is the student version of the card. I was more interested in the Simplicity due to the 18 month 0% promo balance period. I get that Citi is inquiry sensitive but I thought auto loan inquires where counted as one HP within a 2 week period so a little confused...

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Bsong
Regular Contributor

Re: Denied Citi Forward: I don't get it

I sent you a PM. Thats the number to their executive office. I got denied by them in May. Called maybe 5 or 7 times to different listed numbers on the net until I ran into the number I sent you. 

Message 2 of 20
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Thank you Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 20
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Bsong wrote:

I sent you a PM. Thats the number to their executive office. I got denied by them in May. Called maybe 5 or 7 times to different listed numbers on the net until I ran into the number I sent you. 

This is the kind of help people really appreciate. Good going!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 4 of 20
databender

@maiden_girl wrote:

My TU FICO is 711 and I have 2 years AAoA. Total credit lines is around 40k. One open auto loan, never late (9k left). UTL is 15%. Called Citi RECON line and they refuse to even reconsider my app due to the inquires (auto loan inquires). They are saying I have to get a credit report mailed to them for them to reconsider the app within 30 days. I don't want to waste an inquiry but it seems like such a waste of time to do this when they are looking directly at my report. I've been trying to get in with Citi for a while. Citi Forward isn't my first choice as it is the student version of the card. I was more interested in the Simplicity due to the 18 month 0% promo balance period. I get that Citi is inquiry sensitive but I thought auto loan inquires where counted as one HP within a 2 week period so a little confused...

Roughly how many inquiries are on your report, and how many were in the last six months? I've heard Citi has denied people for having more than a single inquiry in the last six months. Good luck with the recon!

Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa - 12/2011 - $2,100
AmEx Costco TrueEarnings Business - 02/2013 - $6,000
Capital One Cash Rewards Visa - 06/2013 - $3,000
Chase Freedom Visa - 07/2013 - $2,500
Message 5 of 20
Bsong
Regular Contributor

@indiolatino61thanks.... Just paying it forward since this forum and the many great people in it has helped me so much.
Message 6 of 20
Fresh-Start
Frequent Contributor

I feel your fustration....Citi hates me.  I applied when I had no inquiries....had a few inquiries, short history...long history, low utl, mid utl.... Always when I had a good score, and I have perfect payment history  I just can't figure out what to do to get them to take a chance on me.  Same thing with Barclays.  So I just have written both these companies off my list for good.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 7 of 20
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@databender wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

Roughly how many inquiries are on your report, and how many were in the last six months? I've heard Citi has denied people for having more than a single inquiry in the last six months. Good luck with the recon!

I have a total of 26 inquires on my TU report. Most of them are over a year old with the exception of maybe 13 of them due to a recent auto loan from the end of last year. Anyway, it's always something with Citi unfortunately. That auto loan rate shopping thing is totally bogus. This is my second card app with Citi and its denied for the same reason as it was in April. I didn't recon that one.

Message 8 of 20
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@Fresh-Start wrote:

I feel your fustration....Citi hates me.  I applied when I had no inquiries....had a few inquiries, short history...long history, low utl, mid utl.... Always when I had a good score, and I have perfect payment history  I just can't figure out what to do to get them to take a chance on me.  Same thing with Barclays.  So I just have written both these companies off my list for good.  Smiley Frustrated

I did write them off for a while but I want that 18 month 0% apr card they have. Need a balance transfer and was just trying to "get in" by applying for the Forward.

Message 9 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1. I would not apply for student version of anything once you have more established credit.

2. citi has a pre-approval link

2a. chase has a pre-approval link

3a. Discover has a pre-approval link

These 3 banks are almost 99% APPROVED if you get an offer off the pre-approval or pre-qual what ever they call it.... now on the flip side it's not a sure no if you don't get an offer and cold apply but if you wanted a certain card to begin with for a certain purpose, I wouldn't suggest applying for a 2nd choice if it doesn't meet your real purpose, especially if you are already figuring you are going to have issues...

Now on the other side of things, Citi computers can be wacky and recon is a word they don't seem to use and can be impossible to deal with, so I hope the number sent to you works out... but meanwhile check out the Chase and Discover for your 0%

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.