Regular Contributor

Denied USAA Credit card

• Proportion of revolving account balances to credit limits
  • Derogatory public record or collection filed
  • Length of time accounts have been established
  • Number of accounts with delinquency

Just applied and was denied...

FICO 668

Had two credit cards over the limit, i didnt even know.. They where two small 300 dollars cards over by $20 dollars.

my other card had a 14k limit and i am only using 2k of that.

1 collection and 1 charge off.. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Psylence
Established Member

Re: Denied USAA Credit card

I was recently denied as well. I have no other credit cards open, trying to establish some type of credit besides student loans.

• Serious delinquency - Last delinquency was 2 1/2yrs ago!
  • Length of time accounts have been established - FICO says 2yrs!
  • Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown - Last delinquency was 2 1/2yrs ago, again!
  • Proportion of balances to credit limits is too high on bank revolving or other revolving accounts - Only 1 account is over limit by $200 exactly! All other accounts I have are student loans, a closed BoA credit card $600 under limit and paying off totally next week ($400)!

Would they be able to reconsider us, anyone? I wrote a letter in an email. Is there a number we can contact? They pulled my Experian which had my lowest score (594), yet my TU has a score of 603.

Dec 2011 Scores:
TransUnion FICO Score: 603
Experian FICO Score: 594

March '11:
TransUnion FICO Score: 617
Experian FICO Score: 605

GOAL: 700 Club by June 2011 or earlier
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@keikdasneak wrote:
  • Proportion of revolving account balances to credit limits
  • Derogatory public record or collection filed
  • Length of time accounts have been established
  • Number of accounts with delinquency

Just applied and was denied...

FICO 668

Had two credit cards over the limit, i didnt even know.. They where two small 300 dollars cards over by $20 dollars.

my other card had a 14k limit and i am only using 2k of that.

1 collection and 1 charge off.. Smiley Sad

Is your collection paid? Have you tried a sturdy goodwill campaign? How old is the charge-off?

The over-the-limit cards are app killers. Smiley Sad In this day and age, nobody is going to extend credit with cards already more than maxed-out. But, the good news is that reason will go away as soon as you pay down your cards, below the limit.

I'd suggest waiting 12 months, put some time between your apps, and some more time behind your derogs (hopefully paid/reporting $0) in the event that they're not dropping any time soon. Get your utilization under 10% overall, and per card. Then, app again.

Message 3 of 19
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Is your collection paid? Have you tried a sturdy goodwill campaign? How old is the charge-off?

The over-the-limit cards are app killers. Smiley Sad In this day and age, nobody is going to extend credit with cards already more than maxed-out. But, the good news is that reason will go away as soon as you pay down your cards, below the limit.

I'd suggest waiting 12 months, put some time between your apps, and some more time behind your derogs (hopefully paid/reporting $0) in the event that they're not dropping any time soon. Get your utilization under 10% overall, and per card. Then, app again.

Yep.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 10/10-813, TU - 10/10-774

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Psylence wrote:

I was recently denied as well. I have no other credit cards open, trying to establish some type of credit besides student loans.

• Time since delinquency is too recent or unknown - Last delinquency was 2 1/2yrs ago, again!
  • Proportion of balances to credit limits is too high on bank revolving or other revolving accounts - Only 1 account is over limit by $200 exactly! All other accounts I have are student loans, a closed BoA credit card $600 under limit and paying off totally next week ($400)!

Would they be able to reconsider us, anyone? I wrote a letter in an email. Is there a number we can contact? They pulled my Experian which had my lowest score (594), yet my TU has a score of 603.

Hi Psylence! Smiley Happy

One of the first rules of recon... okay, I'm actually making the order of 'rules' up as I go along here, but stay with me, LOL!  Know the lender. Some recons stand a decent chance of success, some will require some effort, and some aren't feasible at the moment. As I mentioned in another post, it's virtually impossible to get new credit extended these days when you're already over-the-limit on existing obligations. That's a big red flag.

What was your "serious delinquency"? Is it currently paid? USAA is quite fickle about serious delinquencies, especially unpaid ones. They've also been known to be twitchy about too many INQs, and very short credit history.

Once you've burned the INQ, it doesn't hurt to try a recon (unless they will pull again, and I don't think USAA will), but I'd caution you to make sure you're in "USAA shape" ahead of going after one of their cards again. Or, at least, very close for a recon effort. At the very least, recon after you've paid the over-the-limit card down/off, and your reports update with the new balance. There might be a sympathetic decision-maker who will listen and bend on almost any past mishap-- but over-the-limit on current obligations is a show-stopper for certain.

Personally, I'd put USAA on the backburner for now. Wait a year, get your reports cleaned up, and then go after them.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Psylence wrote:

603 is pretty low by USAA standards.

I'd give it another year or more.

Message 6 of 19
scrubs
Regular Contributor

i have an bk 20 months ago, usaa gave me an secured cc  on aug 2009 for 1500 dollars, which they said at the time should go unsecured by next aug.  ussa is like pen-fed when it come to giving cc they are tight.

Message 7 of 19
RammaCredit
New Contributor

slow your roll. USAA is an ELITE card.. you need to get what you have already got under control.  no trying to be pessimistic, but they will more than likely deny. Once you get your balances down to 0 or 5% of your limits wait a month and app a local CU. clean up your XPN then app the AMEX blue for students this will probably get you jump started and into The ELITE credit card club.

Starting Score: TU:636 EQ:592
Current Score: TU:709 EQ:637 EX:706 (PSECU)
Goal Score: TU:790EQ:760 EX: 774

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

A huge miss conception people have is that USAA is just as credit friendly as Navy Federal. Its NOT. It is very conservative in comparison.

You need to remember that it was originally officer only for membership, with their higher income and subjectively higher responsibility. USAA still retains those stricter standards.

You need to do as has been suggested that is step back and improve your overall picture.

Edited to add:

After looking at several of your threads- you need to accept the fact you have done all you can right now, that you are both credit and score challenged and Stop APPLYING. Lurk and participate on the boards, and learn, but you need to get your negative factors mitigated by paying down balances, by the passage of time, and  your inquiries dropping off.

Message 9 of 19
wmarat
Valued Contributor

Though it does depend on defenition but I would not call USAA credit cards ELITE, they offer average product for average credit profile.

RammaCredit wrote:

slow your roll. USAA is an ELITE card.. you need to get what you have already got under control.  no trying to be pessimistic, but they will more than likely deny. Once you get your balances down to 0 or 5% of your limits wait a month and app a local CU. clean up your XPN then app the AMEX blue for students this will probably get you jump started and into The ELITE credit card club.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.