cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Upgrade to Macy's AMEX, recon denied..

tag
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Denied Upgrade to Macy's AMEX, recon denied..

I have been a Macy's cardholder (and employee) since 2008, have been an Elite cardholder since '09. I don't carry a monthly balance and shop several times monthly, spend thousands per year. I have no baddies on my credit reports, have never had a late, etc., and my denial letter from Macy's states that I have a 747 EQ FICO score. I also have a 752 TU FICO score from WalMart. I do have about $50K in student loans but they are all current since I graduated in '08. According to my credit reports, I've had one inquiry within the past year on Experian, although Macy's credit says they see 11! They use a combined scoring model based on the Experian report and internal scoring factors, and state that my "combined" internal score is 647... Am I just out of luck? I really just wanted the upgrade to the AMEX so I'd have it for emergencies...already have a real AMEX in Zync (NPSL) and plan to get a BCE the next time a good offer comes along.. I just don't get Macy's..
ImageImageImage

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
logan_720
Established Contributor

Re: Denied Upgrade to Macy's AMEX, recon denied..

When you started at Macy's did you already have a Macy's account? Or did they automatically sign you up when you started employment?

Message 2 of 9
slarano
Frequent Contributor

I already had one from applying online (Store Card only app) several months prior..
ImageImageImage

Message 3 of 9
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Did they HP your report for the requested upgrade?

Have you thought about applying for the Macy's Amex?

I am sure you will get it if you try...sometimes, banks don't like to PC or upgrade.

Message 4 of 9
slarano
Frequent Contributor

Yes, HP was done on Experian. So that's why I called in today for a recon, and am now looking to see if anyone else has any suggestions..I did use the backdoor # posted in the Sticky.

I have been interested in getting the Macy's AMEX for awhile. Sometimes the Macy's card is the only one in my pocket (for example, when I'm at work) and would like the convenience of having it as an AMEX just in case.

And since the Macy's AMEX would be a new trade line and it's own account, it's not really upgrading or PC'ing in the traditional sense, right?
ImageImageImage

Message 5 of 9
Voodard
Contributor

I would take a look at the Equifax report they pulled to find out why there is such a difference in the number of inquiries.  You say there should be one pull and they say there are 11?  The large number of pulls could be a huge reason why your application may have been denied.

TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 6 of 9
slarano
Frequent Contributor

They pulled Experian but provided me with my EQ score, I pulled my EX report from annualcreditreport and it confirms I have one EX inquiry in the past year..

ImageImageImage

Message 7 of 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

They are a bag of mess sometimes especially when it comes to trying to get the Amex AFTER you have had just store.

What is your limit on your store? I would start working that hard, every 3 months (some CSR say 6, im not sure it isn't still 3)

I would be pursueing higher ups if you are given an EX 747 but then a 600 something... WHAT?

I had a friend that went through the process about 4 years ago and he got it fairly quickly and they gave him $6k on the then Visa.... fast forward to late last year and they flat out closed saying his credit went down.... ummm no, he paid debt off that was there when approved....

Sometimes I love them and sometimes I get really irritated!

but as an employee, like What gives!!!

Message 8 of 9
slarano
Frequent Contributor

My store card CL is $3,800. It was at that limit before Macy's decided not to share CL's anymore a few years back. Now that they're sharing them again (and soon to be reporting them), it's at the same limit. $0 balance, run a few hundred through the card on a monthly basis.

ImageImageImage

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.