cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

tag
dhon55
Contributor

Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

Hi everyone,

I've been posting here for a while on what to do next to get my first credit card.  First I was denied by Capital One for their Secured card due to "insufficient income."

I've just finally heard back from Wells Fargo after applying for their College student card.  The only reason listed for denying me for this card was a lack of or insufficient history with the bank.  Seriously!?

Admittedly, I opened a student checking & savings account with them just to get the card, but who is to say that I wouldn't stay with them for banking and use their card.  I'm just starting out as a student trying to get my first credit card, so I'm not sure why they would deny me for that one reason.

Any thoughts on what to do next?  Any chance of me being able to recon with them and complaining with some of my above thoughts? Smiley Sad

Thanks!

Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

Could you provide more info? FICO score? Income? So that users can try to assist you?

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@dhon55 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I've been posting here for a while on what to do next to get my first credit card.  First I was denied by Capital One for their Secured card due to "insufficient income."

I've just finally heard back from Wells Fargo after applying for their College student card.  The only reason listed for denying me for this card was a lack of or insufficient history with the bank.  Seriously!?

Admittedly, I opened a student checking & savings account with them just to get the card, but who is to say that I wouldn't stay with them for banking and use their card.  I'm just starting out as a student trying to get my first credit card, so I'm not sure why they would deny me for that one reason.

Any thoughts on what to do next?  Any chance of me being able to recon with them and complaining with some of my above thoughts? Smiley Sad

Thanks!

Have you talked to Capital One about it?? They normally are good with secured approvals. What is your current income??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I was also denied for the cap1 secured card. D: 

Your denial for the WF student card definitely had other reasons other than "lack of history with WF." I too opened a college combo the same day I apped for the WF student card and was approved with nothing on my reports but student loans and inqs, and deposited just $100 in my college checking account. 

I would call up cap1 about the secured, and call up WF about the student card, talk to em and see if anything else can be done. 

Message 4 of 20
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Need more info about scores, inquiries, income.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 5 of 20
dhon55
Contributor

With Capital One, I applied on 8/20, I heard that they don't recon, and their reason was pretty specific (lack of sufficient income) when I reported $5,000 income based on a part time gig at school.  Perhaps I should've applied for their student card and they'd be more lenient on income?  (Though that was just a secured one)  but isn't it too late to recon with them?  Not sure.

And for Wells Fargo, for my income, they asked for other sources of income specifically, so I included scholarships, other sources, etc. with them.  After applying online, I verified my college enrollment, etc. and then got my decision in the mail today.  WF required at least $3,000 for their student card, and I met that.  They didn't list that as the reason though.

The only score I know is my TU score from August from Capital One, which was 679.  Not sure about the others.  But the only thing on there is student loans (not yet due), and the inquiry from Capital One in late August, and then most recently (I assume) from Wells Fargo, but they didn't list where they pulled and what score was pulled.

Thanks for the responses.

Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Message 6 of 20
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

What is your average age of accounts and oldest tradeline?

You said you had student loans in your report. At this point, since you don't have any credit cards, you need history in your file. Are there any Authorized User account there? If not, get someone (your parents preferrably) to add you to a couple of their oldest cards (high limit also helps) with positive standing they have.

I don't see how you can recon the WF rejection for lack of history with them. Maybe go to a branch and have a banker give them a call for you. My best shot would be to try and recon with capital one. I don't know about the process but you should mention income from employment and all the extra cash flow you receive and don't have to give back(scholarships, money your parents give you, etc.) If failed at recon.. try again and tell them you intended to apply for a student card instead (my journey card was approved with no credit history and 10k income) and see if they can transfer the app to one of their student cards(less income req for student cards).

Other things:

Go to each of the 3 credit bureau's webpage and pull your reports for free for being denied credit recently (you need to specify you were denied credit).

If you haven't already, go create an account at creditkarma, you can see an overview of your TU report there + a useless faco score lenders don't use.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 7 of 20
dhon55
Contributor

I just signed up, thanks.

Avg. age 2 yrs, 1 month, oldest 2 yrs & 11 months.  Total accounts: 8.  (All federal student loans).  1 hard inquiry from Cap1.  (Not sure if/from where WF pulled)  Fako Transrisk of 654.

I'm on an AU on any card, and never have been.  If necessary, I'll ask my parents if they can add me.  I'm 21 now, not sure if it matters.  I just hope they remember to pay it off and not keep a balance (You never know! Smiley Frustrated)  or that they didn't have a derogatory mark on the account in the past.  I know if it affects my report and it's not mine I can get it removed--but is that an arduous process?

I feel desperate right now with two failed inquiries in a row--I'd hate to keep applying, but need to start somewhere, and soon!  I've heard about SDFCU's secured card, but not sure how they feel about students with no history and low income.  Maybe I should try other credit unions out there?  But again, I'm not sure if I have a shot with my standing and hate to keep applying.

Message 8 of 20
WarJar101
Frequent Contributor

I got a Capital One Platinum MC unsecured with no history. I told them I made 25k a year, I didn't (technically) last year but my salary fluctuates anyway. I also got the Citi Forward Student Visa this month once again with no history. I reported that I made 16k with these guys. Citi will ask you for proof of identification (copy of SS), and a copy of your most recent tuition bill and/or Student ID (preferably with the enrollment sticker, not necessary). It can be done, you just have to be proactive and know how to work it. Good luck.

P.S. I did the Cap One app at a branch, Citi card I did online, if that makes any difference.

Rebuilding...been out of the game for a minute. Now, after suffering I'm back with greater wisdom. Scores: Currently @ around 6 teens to 20's, across all three EQ,TU, EX
Message 9 of 20
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@dhon55 wrote:

I just signed up, thanks.

Avg. age 2 yrs, 1 month, oldest 2 yrs & 11 months.  Total accounts: 8.  (All federal student loans).  1 hard inquiry from Cap1.  (Not sure if/from where WF pulled)  Fako Transrisk of 654.

I'm on an AU on any card, and never have been.  If necessary, I'll ask my parents if they can add me.  I'm 21 now, not sure if it matters.  I just hope they remember to pay it off and not keep a balance (You never know! Smiley Frustrated)  or that they didn't have a derogatory mark on the account in the past.  I know if it affects my report and it's not mine I can get it removed--but is that an arduous process?

I feel desperate right now with two failed inquiries in a row--I'd hate to keep applying, but need to start somewhere, and soon!  I've heard about SDFCU's secured card, but not sure how they feel about students with no history and low income.  Maybe I should try other credit unions out there?  But again, I'm not sure if I have a shot with my standing and hate to keep applying.

The fact that you have so many student loans with very little income might also have something to do with it. They might not tell you this outright, but I have seen many people denied officially for other reasons, but in reality it is due to having too much debt.

Your income may also be holding you back, even if WF lists $3,000 as the official minimum. If you charged every single dollar you earned on that card (which is unlikely), you'd be pushing $250 a month through them. In their eyes, it may not be enough to be worth their time. 

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.