Reply
Contributor
dhon55
Posts: 88
Registered: ‎08-20-2012
0

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

Ok, update:

 

I called Wells Fargo for a recon, and they approved me for the student card with a CL of $1,600.

 

I want to see if I can recon with Capital One now.  Do you guys think I should wait until the Wells Fargo one starts to report to get a better limit with Cap1, or is earlier better (is it too far out if I wait for this one to report)?  Not sure what to do next.

Thanks!


Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Senior Contributor
jsucool76
Posts: 3,864
Registered: ‎12-11-2011
0

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?


dhon55 wrote:

Ok, update:

 

I called Wells Fargo for a recon, and they approved me for the student card with a CL of $1,600.

 

I want to see if I can recon with Capital One now.  Do you guys think I should wait until the Wells Fargo one starts to report to get a better limit with Cap1, or is earlier better (is it too far out if I wait for this one to report)?  Not sure what to do next.

Thanks!


You can only recon for a certain amount of time, eventually they'll need to repull your credit. 

 

Congrats on the approval though. The rewards aren't great on the WF card, but it's a nice card to have. There is a lot of Visa coupons with it. 

;
Regular Contributor
Tran92
Posts: 217
Registered: ‎09-25-2012
0

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

Can I ask what is your income? I'm thinking about opening a student card at WF too.
TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+






Senior Contributor
jsucool76
Posts: 3,864
Registered: ‎12-11-2011
0

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

Tran92, I would apply for the WF student card unless you bank with them. The minimum income for the student card is $3,000.
;
Frequent Contributor
LionLaw
Posts: 258
Registered: ‎06-10-2012
0

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

Congrats! I love my WF Visa. Not a lot of frills, but managing your account is super easy, and straight 1% cash back (or the equivalent in points) is not half bad. Plus, they just gave me an automatic CLI just after my 9th statement cut.

In my experience with them, they seem to put a lot of weight on your history with the bank. So, take care of your checking account with them, and it will put you in good shape for CLIs in the future.

Starting Score: 617 (EQ 6/10/12)
Current Score (8/28/13): EQ: 691 EX: 706 TU: 700
Goal Score: 700

Discover it $4,500 (02/2001); Amex PRG (Backdated to 01/2006); Amex ZYNC (Backdated to 07/2006); Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa $5,500 (12/2011); Citi Diamond Preferred MC $2,000 (07/2012); B of A Cash Rewards Visa Signature $5,000 (02/2013)

Senior Contributor
jsucool76
Posts: 3,864
Registered: ‎12-11-2011
0

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?


LionLaw wrote:
Congrats! I love my WF Visa. Not a lot of frills, but managing your account is super easy, and straight 1% cash back (or the equivalent in points) is not half bad. Plus, they just gave me an automatic CLI just after my 9th statement cut.

In my experience with them, they seem to put a lot of weight on your history with the bank. So, take care of your checking account with them, and it will put you in good shape for CLIs in the future.

I like mine too, the only issue I have with it is that you can't claim rewards until you hit $25 minimum. I don't push that much through my WF, so I basically will take forever to get any rewards back. 

 

I just did a $40 statement credit on my cap1 though, that was exciting :smileytongue: 

;
Regular Contributor
Tran92
Posts: 217
Registered: ‎09-25-2012
0

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?


jsucool76 wrote:
Tran92, I would apply for the WF student card unless you bank with them. The minimum income for the student card is $3,000.

What would be wrong if I do bank with them lol. 3000 annually? I wanted to know what the OP income was so I can see if I can get a higher limit like that for a student card. My student card at Golden 1 is only 500..

 

TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+






Established Contributor
CruzImperial
Posts: 869
Registered: ‎07-04-2012
0

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

Congrats on the APproval!! :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Senior Contributor
jsucool76
Posts: 3,864
Registered: ‎12-11-2011
0

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

@Tran92

Sorry. Wrote that on my cell phone. It should read: "I WOULDN'T. apply for it unless you bank with them."

They dont seem to take kindly to strangers.
;
Valued Contributor
maiden_girl
Posts: 2,110
Registered: ‎12-29-2011
0

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

[ Edited ]

jsucool76 wrote:

dhon55 wrote:

Ok, update:

 

I called Wells Fargo for a recon, and they approved me for the student card with a CL of $1,600.

 

I want to see if I can recon with Capital One now.  Do you guys think I should wait until the Wells Fargo one starts to report to get a better limit with Cap1, or is earlier better (is it too far out if I wait for this one to report)?  Not sure what to do next.

Thanks!


You can only recon for a certain amount of time, eventually they'll need to repull your credit. 

 

Congrats on the approval though. The rewards aren't great on the WF card, but it's a nice card to have. There is a lot of Visa coupons with it. 


+1. Totally agree.

 

@dhon55: You seem to have waited too late to recon Cap1. I believe they allow 30 days to recon using the same report. If you called them, they would just tell you to reapply because it's already been 2 months. You wrote you applied 8/20. I would just hold out for a bit since you were able to get the WF card. I think if you applied again for any cards, you'd just be denied due to your income and sizable amount of current debt with the student loans.

 

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)







myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}