cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

tag
dhon55
Contributor

Re: Denied Wells Fargo Student Card -- Insufficient History with Bank!?

Ok, update:

I called Wells Fargo for a recon, and they approved me for the student card with a CL of $1,600.

I want to see if I can recon with Capital One now.  Do you guys think I should wait until the Wells Fargo one starts to report to get a better limit with Cap1, or is earlier better (is it too far out if I wait for this one to report)?  Not sure what to do next.

Thanks!

Goal Scores: 720+ (Experian Lender Pull 09/13): 733; Discover TU (01/14): 751; Walmart TU08 (02/14): 754;
WF Platinum (10/12) $1,600; WM Discover (12/12) $5,500; Amazon GE (12/12) $2,500; CapOne Quicksilver (12/12) $750; Discover IT (01/13) $1,000; Chase Amazon (02/13) $2,500; Citi Forward Student (02/13) $2,000; AMEX BCE (09/13) $15,000
Message 11 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@dhon55 wrote:

Ok, update:

I called Wells Fargo for a recon, and they approved me for the student card with a CL of $1,600.

I want to see if I can recon with Capital One now.  Do you guys think I should wait until the Wells Fargo one starts to report to get a better limit with Cap1, or is earlier better (is it too far out if I wait for this one to report)?  Not sure what to do next.

Thanks!

You can only recon for a certain amount of time, eventually they'll need to repull your credit. 

Congrats on the approval though. The rewards aren't great on the WF card, but it's a nice card to have. There is a lot of Visa coupons with it. 

Message 12 of 20
Tran92
Regular Contributor

Can I ask what is your income? I'm thinking about opening a student card at WF too.
TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 13 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Tran92, I would apply for the WF student card unless you bank with them. The minimum income for the student card is $3,000.
Message 14 of 20
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Congrats! I love my WF Visa. Not a lot of frills, but managing your account is super easy, and straight 1% cash back (or the equivalent in points) is not half bad. Plus, they just gave me an automatic CLI just after my 9th statement cut.

In my experience with them, they seem to put a lot of weight on your history with the bank. So, take care of your checking account with them, and it will put you in good shape for CLIs in the future.
Message 15 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@LionLaw wrote:
Congrats! I love my WF Visa. Not a lot of frills, but managing your account is super easy, and straight 1% cash back (or the equivalent in points) is not half bad. Plus, they just gave me an automatic CLI just after my 9th statement cut.

In my experience with them, they seem to put a lot of weight on your history with the bank. So, take care of your checking account with them, and it will put you in good shape for CLIs in the future.

I like mine too, the only issue I have with it is that you can't claim rewards until you hit $25 minimum. I don't push that much through my WF, so I basically will take forever to get any rewards back. 

I just did a $40 statement credit on my cap1 though, that was exciting Smiley Tongue 

Message 16 of 20
Tran92
Regular Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:
Tran92, I would apply for the WF student card unless you bank with them. The minimum income for the student card is $3,000.

What would be wrong if I do bank with them lol. 3000 annually? I wanted to know what the OP income was so I can see if I can get a higher limit like that for a student card. My student card at Golden 1 is only 500..

TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 17 of 20
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Congrats on the APproval!! Smiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 18 of 20
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Tran92

Sorry. Wrote that on my cell phone. It should read: "I WOULDN'T. apply for it unless you bank with them."

They dont seem to take kindly to strangers.
Message 19 of 20
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@dhon55 wrote:

Ok, update:

Thanks!

You can only recon for a certain amount of time, eventually they'll need to repull your credit. 

Congrats on the approval though. The rewards aren't great on the WF card, but it's a nice card to have. There is a lot of Visa coupons with it. 

+1. Totally agree.

@dhon55: You seem to have waited too late to recon Cap1. I believe they allow 30 days to recon using the same report. If you called them, they would just tell you to reapply because it's already been 2 months. You wrote you applied 8/20. I would just hold out for a bit since you were able to get the WF card. I think if you applied again for any cards, you'd just be denied due to your income and sizable amount of current debt with the student loans.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.