cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied a CLI, what are the chances of getting a second card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied a CLI, what are the chances of getting a second card?

Hi! I'm new here, this is my first post. Some background: I have 4 credit cards with about 15,000 total debt spread out between them. (More debt than I'd like to have, but after my divorce 3 years ago, I had to charge some things). Chase Freedom- $3000 CL, my credit union visa $5,000 CL, Bank of America $6000 CL and Discover $7600 CL.  I want to increase my utilization. So I called Chase, as it's my lowest card, and I've had them a few years now. They are almost maxed out, but I have never been over the limit, and I have never missed a payment or been late on a payment (on any of my cards). I also just finished paying a car loan with Chase that was in good standing the entire loan. They denied me an increase, and they also refused a lower interest rate as well.  Credit Karma says I have a "very good" approval rating for the Chase Slate card.  I'm wondering, If Chase wouldn't increase the limit on my $3,000 Freedom card, what are the chances that they would give me a second credit card? Has anyone been approved for a new card after being denied an increase on another card from the same company?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied a CLI, what are the chances of getting a second card?

Hello and welcome! Please ignore any recommendations from CK as they are marketing based and not to be trusted. Unfortunately I dont see Chase granting you an increase or a new card in this situation, especially since you have balances reporting on all your current cards and your overall utilization is 69%.

Has anyone been approved for a new card after being denied an increase on another card from the same company? - Im sure this has happened at some point for others but their profile might be completely different than yours.
Message 2 of 7
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello and welcome! Please ignore any recommendations from CK as they are marketing based and not to be trusted. Unfortunately I dont see Chase granting you an increase or a new card in this situation, especially since you have balances reporting on all your current cards and your overall utilization is 69%.

Has anyone been approved for a new card after being denied an increase on another card from the same company? - Im sure this has happened at some point for others but their profile might be completely different than yours.

Well i can't say you won't be approved for a new card. But with util at 60 plus percent it will be hard to get increase from that lender. I would say look around. Maybe give capital one a try and this would help. Try the Venture card. which could be a high limit and instantly lower your overall util and help your score. which can bring in even more cards. But still try and pay the higher balances with the highest interest down first. at least check out cap ones pre approval site. if it says congratulations. Jump on it.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both for your responses. I know it's a long shot getting another card with my utilization being so high, but it's a catch 22 cause that's what I want to fix! I'm doing my best to pay down the cards as fast as I can, throwing any extra money I get toward them. It's just not much right now.  Cap one's preapproval said they couldn't match me to any offers but based on my answers they think I might like the Capital One Platinum 24.9 variable APR and no annual fee. But that doesn't mean I even have a chance of getting approved for that card, does it? I guess I'll just continue to pay down what I have. I constantly get prescreened offers in the snail mail...do those mean nothing??

Message 4 of 7
kdm31091
Super Contributor

When you are in debt you are unlikely to see CLIs. Focus on getting rid of the debt
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

If approved for the Platinum card that will probably not help your util much at all since the limit could be $300-$500 so I wouldnt chance it. Mail offers might be solid but it sometimes depends on the lender and the specifics of the offer. They might be marketing as well. I think your idea of trying to pay down what you have as best you can is a good one for now. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

No truer words... Right now they show my odds for the CSP as "Very Good". I can guarantee that if I apped, it would be a denial. At the same time they show my odds for the Freedom as "Poor", and I already have the card.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.