Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied by Barclay

tag
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Re: Denied by Barclay

Thanks Rebzer. I am glad it has worked out for you. Patience is not my strong suit, but I will garden for awhile

Message 51 of 90
arthompson3529
New Contributor

The rep gave you a a bunch of bull. I have two barclaycards and was approved immediately for each with utilization at about 18% across the board.
In the garden as of 07/15/14 - a baby seedling
Message 52 of 90
elim
Senior Contributor

Jerry do you have a barclay card now? Did she want to see your "total accounts UTI" at 30%? or your current barclay card? Man... kind of hard to put 30% on total with some decent CL's. eeeeeeeek

I wonder if you can raise your utilization to 30% 1 statement before apping? All i know is my little $500 starter barclay card will report $150 (to the cent) all year to try and catch any luv they will give me.  lmao

Message 53 of 90
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

I just went through it with Barclay as well. I got a pre-qual for the US Airways World Mastercard and thought...well, why not? So I applied and got the 7-10 days. I called this morning and she said that my payment history was good. She wanted to know more about a since closed Capital One with spotty payment and I explained that. Well after that she said she can approve me but not for the World Mastercard because it requires a $5000 limit and I have no history of being able to handle such a high limit. All of my new Chase and Discover cards haven't reported yet.

I said yes because I want to get in with Barclay. My plan is to either re-apply for the US Airways card or the Arrival in 6-9 months and cancel this card. 

But...at least I'm finally in. Now if only I could crack Citibank!

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 54 of 90
AvadaKedavra
Established Contributor

@OHWWCB wrote:

I just went through it with Barclay as well. I got a pre-qual for the US Airways World Mastercard and thought...well, why not? So I applied and got the 7-10 days. I called this morning and she said that my payment history was good. She wanted to know more about a since closed Capital One with spotty payment and I explained that. Well after that she said she can approve me but not for the World Mastercard because it requires a $5000 limit and I have no history of being able to handle such a high limit. All of my new Chase and Discover cards haven't reported yet.

I said yes because I want to get in with Barclay. My plan is to either re-apply for the US Airways card or the Arrival in 6-9 months and cancel this card. 

What card did you wind up getting? Did you choose or did they tell you which they would offer?

Message 55 of 90
OHWWCB
Regular Contributor

@rebzer wrote:

@OHWWCB wrote:

What card did you wind up getting? Did you choose or did they tell you which they would offer?

She told me it was the non World Mastercard version...less benefits. Probably doesn't have the companion ticket or as big a sign up bonus which is fine...for now.

Hilton Honors $15,000 | AMEX Green | Chase Sapphire Preferred $9000 | Discover IT $6600 | Marriott Premiere Rewards $5000 | Chase Freedom $5500 | Barclaycard Visa with Apple Rewards $2000 | CapitalOne Quicksilver One $2000 | US Airways Dividend Miles $2400
Message 56 of 90
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the info. Congrats. They would not even work with me on converting to the rewards card.

I received a pre approved mailer from Barclays yesterday for the Arrival, which I was denied for yesterday. I am going to call for a Second recon. This is crap between the pre qual site and their pre approved letters. I am going let them know that also. Burn a bridge? who cares. There are better cards than Barclay's out there.

Message 57 of 90
RBFool
Contributor

@Jerry45 wrote:

Thanks for the info. Congrats. They would not even work with me on converting to the rewards card.

I received a pre approved mailer from Barclays yesterday for the Arrival, which I was denied for yesterday. I am going to call for a Second recon. This is crap between the pre qual site and their pre approved letters. I am going let them know that also. Burn a bridge? who cares. There are better cards than Barclay's out there.

I've been following this post very loosely but I wanted to jump in here. Everybody seems to like the Sallie Mae cards which I believe are Barclays. I don't know if yelling at them about the Arrival card would prevent you from getting the Sallie Mae card, but it may?

Edit: I had the wrong card name at first.

BK 7 Dismissed: 5/2014 AAoA: 6 years Credit Scores (07-02-2015): My Privacy Matters: TU: 633 EX:658 EQ: 651
How to add pics to Signature

Message 58 of 90
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

No Yelling, just politely point out that their pre approved site and mailers are misleading(even though legal)

Message 59 of 90
--HighHopes--
Regular Contributor

It sounds surreal that a big card company like Barclays would endorse high or somewhat high utilization of cards, but I agree with Jerry and was told the same thing by Barclay Credit Analyst!  I apped and was approved for the Barclay Rewards MC and since I applied over the phone due to some address issues after being told I was approved with a little 1.3K limit I asked what did they look for in auto CLI.  The analyst told me that Barclays likes on time payments a little more than minimum and that they like usage of their cards.  They really want to be your daily card, but at least keep a 20-30% utilization on them and that along with good payment history should set you up for a CLI within the first 6 months if not sooner.

So I really think that Barclays is one of a kind in big banking with what they look for and like to see!

Message 60 of 90
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.