Did you mean: 

Denied capital one secured credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied capital one secured credit card

@core wrote:

@Rudy123 wrote:
That's like a recent visit to Chase Bank. Them denying me for a prepaid debit card. A prepaid debit card. How can you get denied for a prepaid anything.

I was in the bank opening a new account a few months ago and asked a similar question.  I knew the woman fairly well so I thought I could get some info from her.

Me: "Why do you guys always pull credit reports for a DEBIT card with no overdraft protection?"

Sally: "Because in certain cases a debit  card can allow you to spend more than you have."

Me: "Oh?"  Now she had me interested.  "How do I do that?"

Sally: "I can't tell you that."  She smiled.

If there's some trick, I'd sure like to know what it is.

If you buy gas at a self service pump, some only authorize $1 and a few days later post the entire fuel charge.
If you eat at a restaurant, some only authorize the meal and a few days later post the meal and tip.

People getting denied for the prepaid cards could also be showing up in ChexSystems, which is another animal entirely.

Also, you do realize you quoted someone from years ago, right?

Message 21 of 25
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Also, you do realize you quoted someone from years ago, right?

Yep, I realized that before I hit submit.  It matters not whether he is still here, regarding the question I was asking.

The deal with a restaurant tip being posted later, yeah that's one case.  But I don't think the bank is going to get its panties in a bind over a $10 tip that puts you slightly over the limit and lets them charge you an overlimit fee.  I suppose a crook could make friends with a waiter and put down a $1000 tip and give the waiter a small cut.  Then skip town.  I knew this bartender who would give me "cash advances" (using the tip line on the bar tab) so I could drop the cash in the pub's slot machine.  I never really though much of it but yeah you could cause some trouble that way.

Message 22 of 25
NRB525
Super Contributor

So you're saying the Orchard Bank references aren't as clueless as they first sounded? Smiley Tongue

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:

So you're saying the Orchard Bank references aren't as clueless as they first sounded? Smiley Tongue

Still silly, considering Orchard was Cap One already.

The craziest comment in this thread is the recommendation for First Premier and Credit One.  I didn't think anyone ever recommended those companies.

Message 24 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

Still silly, considering Orchard was Cap One already.

The craziest comment in this thread is the recommendation for First Premier and Credit One.  I didn't think anyone ever recommended those companies.

I'm surprised Nixon isn't all over that.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.