cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied credit at a CU with a 807 FICO score?

tag
Oppenheimer

Denied credit at a CU with a 807 FICO score?

So here I am reading money magazine and found that Lake Michigan Credit Union Prime Platinum Visa offers a 6.25% APR (which sounds amazing to me). And it says: “For applicants with FICO scores of 760-plus”.  So then im thinking to myself: “Great!! My FICO score is 807, they will love me and surely approve me”.  So I applied and was so sure of myself. And I get a call the next day saying the credit request was denied.

Im thinking: “How can someone with a credit score ABOVE 800 be denied credit” according to myfico.com my score is better than 92% of the population.

What is the point of having an extremely high FICO score if it does nothing for you? Is it just a pretty number that I should frame and hang next to my college degree? Ive been upset about this all day long. I thought credit unions had a higher approval rate than regular banks.

Message 1 of 51
50 REPLIES 50
r34dy2fly
Contributor

Re: Denied credit at a CU with a 807 FICO score?

How old is your oldest card / what's your card history average?

I'm guessing those would be your issue over actual FICO score.

Message 2 of 51
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Sorry to hear. What is the reason they gave you?  From what I have seen here Discover is behaving similar... Fico 720-750 get higher CL than 750+ ..wonder if this is simply business...more likely to carry  balances and pay interest ?

Message 3 of 51
Oppenheimer

Myfico.com report says the following:

"Your oldest account was opened 9 Years ago"

and then

"Average age of your accounts 6 years"

Does anyone have any tips on how i can get approved for that low 6.25% APR they are offering? (by the way that APR is NOT an intro APR, it is an ongoing rate).

Was it maybe the amount i asked for?  I only requested $15,000  which i didn't think was a lot, considering the max they offer is $25,000

But Seriously i thought credit unions had a higher approval rate than regular banks. I was so sure i was going to get approved.

Message 4 of 51
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Are you a member?

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 5 of 51
Oppenheimer

oh and a little more info about me from myfico.com report. it says: "Ratio of your revolving balances to your credit limits 1%  "

Message 6 of 51
Oppenheimer

a member of the credit union? No i am not.

but it states in Money Magazine:  "THE CAVEATS, you have to be a member of the credit union. but you can join with a $5 dollar donation.".

heck i was going to donate more than just $5 dollars. but they just denied my request.   Im wondering if a manager or some sort of back-door number will help me out in this situation.

Should i request a smaller credit line? Like maybe $8,000 or is that still too much?

Message 7 of 51
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

maybe you need to join first and then apply ?

Message 8 of 51
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Both my CU's mad eme join with the "donation" and opening a checking and savings.  Then i applied.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 9 of 51
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Same here.  Once I "joined" the CU, they were throwing money at me within 1 hour.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.