Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for AMEX :(

tag
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

Re: Denied for AMEX :(

@Anonymous wrote:

I applied for the Gold. Could that be it?

Income $30,000 

TU: 699 Experian: 702 EQ: 680

American Express pulls Experian credit report. Do you know what your Experian score is? Oops didn't see your score.

I would wait for the letter to find why they denied you.

Message 11 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@09Lexie wrote:

Until you know the reasons for denial, there is no need to call the EO/recon.  Also, keep in mind Amex is not recon friendly.  You would need to show that the credit report they pulled had errors for a successful recon.  Explaining why you had a high number of inq's would not matter to them unless they were coded incorrectly (ie auto shopping) or not yours.

im calling because a collection was removed completly, when they pulled my credit it was there. now it is not. i think itd worth a try 

Message 12 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone for responding Smiley Happy I have a student loan of $5,500 in deferment. No rent, car or mortgage loans. I have a BOA cash reward card limit of $1,000 (last balance was $280. Paid that day) Old navy card CL of $300 last balance was $8.77 paid in full that day. And Discover Chrome balance of $152 paid that day in full (CL of $1,000). Must be my credit age and inqs right? Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Experian is 702 as of 8/31. It's the highest of the 3 actually. 

Message 14 of 37
keithB
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you everyone for responding Smiley Happy I have a student loan of $5,500 in deferment. No rent, car or mortgage loans. I have a BOA cash reward card limit of $1,000 (last balance was $280. Paid that day) Old navy card CL of $300 last balance was $8.77 paid in full that day. And Discover Chrome balance of $152 paid that day in full (CL of $1,000). Must be my credit age and inqs right? Smiley Sad

Someone recently came on this site and claimed his first credit card he ever applied for was an AMEX EveryDay and was approved for $8,000.  I think the title of his thread was "What did I do wrong?!?"  LOL...

But regardless of that, my personal opinion is that you should get one more premium card under your belt before applying to AMEX - when I applied I had Discover, Capital One Secured (hardly premium!), Sam's Club, and USAA World MC.

Does that mean go out and get a new card right now? Not necessarily. But I personally feel you will have a much better chance if you have another premium card and your score was above 720 with limited credit history.  Mine was 730 when AMEX accepted me for the EveryDay and gave me a $2500 CL.  65 days later, my request for a CLI to $7500 was approved Smiley Happy

Message 15 of 37
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

Until you know the reasons for denial, there is no need to call the EO/recon.  Also, keep in mind Amex is not recon friendly.  You would need to show that the credit report they pulled had errors for a successful recon.  Explaining why you had a high number of inq's would not matter to them unless they were coded incorrectly (ie auto shopping) or not yours.

im calling because a collection was removed completly, when they pulled my credit it was there. now it is not. i think itd worth a try 

My response to was to the OP, I believe you have a thread addressing your concerns
Message 16 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes
Message 17 of 37
espnjunkie
Established Contributor

30% utilization may not seem like much, but for scoring purposes and risk analysis it is fairly high

You want to be at 0-9% utilization to get the best scoring

“The real measure of your wealth is how much you’d be worth if you lost all your money.” ~Unknown
Citi Prestige World Elite Mastercard ($35,000.00), Merrill+ Visa Signature ($25,000.00), Amex BCP ($29,700.00), Amex Green (NPSL), Capital One Quicksilver World Mastercard ($10,000.00), Chase Ink Business Bold (NPSL)
TU-778 (12/03/2014))
EX (Plus) - 777 (10/21/2013)
EQ - 735 (April 2013)
Message 18 of 37
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I had low utilization overall and plenty of inquiries when I got approved for my first Amex. Perhaps it's the former and lack of credit history hurting you right now.
Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 19 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so I found out why I was denied.

I was on my parents credit card as an authorized user when I was 17. They ended up maxing out that card and missed a payment. I was taken off as an authorized user I asked why I was denied and they said accounts paid as agreed and something about credit limits. I contacted the EQ, TU, EX and they had that removed by the end of the day. I called for a recon and they said it would be a HP. Should I just wait 3 months and apply again? Or what would be best? Thanks!

Message 20 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.