Did you mean: 

Denied for AMEX :(

tag
chalupaman
Super Contributor

Re: Denied for AMEX :(

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so I found out why I was denied.

I was on my parents credit card as an authorized user when I was 17. They ended up maxing out that card and missed a payment. I was taken off as an authorized user I asked why I was denied and they said accounts paid as agreed and something about credit limits. I contacted the EQ, TU, EX and they had that removed by the end of the day. I called for a recon and they said it would be a HP. Should I just wait 3 months and apply again? Or what would be best? Thanks!

Since you got that baddie removed, you can go ahead with the recon now if you really want the card now or perhaps wait a month or so and try again.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 21 of 37
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

I'm glad I have moved on from AMEX.  I don't get why everyone wants an AMEX so bad.  They don't offer anything any other CC does.  There is no prestige in having one.  I proved I could get one and when I was denied a CLI I decided to dump them.  I have many higher limit CC's. 

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 22 of 37
wmweeza
Established Contributor

@dallasjetfan wrote:

I'm glad I have moved on from AMEX.  I don't get why everyone wants an AMEX so bad.  They don't offer anything any other CC does.  There is no prestige in having one.  I proved I could get one and when I was denied a CLI I decided to dump them.  I have many higher limit CC's. 

Backdating and warranties, those aren't offerred by most other card companies

Last App 10/14. FICO's: AMEX Ex 846, BarclayTU08 815.FAKOs:CreditKarma 775,CS score 771.BofA 5400,Target $5000,Barnes $8500,Amex $22k
Message 23 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dallasjetfan wrote:

Is like why would someone want a Ferrari when a Honda Civic does the same thing.

Why would you want a Rolex and a g-shock does the same thing.

Why would you want Prada shoes, when new balance shoes do the same thing.

Why would you want a 4k display tv when those old fat tvs do the same thing.

lol ... 

Message 24 of 37
barthooper
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@dallasjetfan wrote:

Is like why would someone want a Ferrari when a Honda Civic does the same thing.

Why would you want a Rolex and a g-shock does the same thing.

Why would you want Prada shoes, when new balance shoes do the same thing.

Why would you want a 4k display tv when those old fat tvs do the same thing.

lol ... 

I agree with dallasjetfan. Even though I haven't had an AMEX before I've looked at their offerings and don't see anything special. They are big on travel rewards but I'm only interested in cashback and even though the BCP/BCE would be good for that, particularly groceries, I've already got the Sallie Mae. Another problem is I've heard AMEX doesn't consider certain stores (Walmart) to be grocery stores like Visa/MC do, so I wouldn't benefit from it. Definitely a YMMV situation.

Quicksilver - 16k | Discover It - 34k | Citi DC - $21k | Chase Amazon - 8k | Chase Reserve - 19.5k | Chase Preferred - 5k | EX FICO (Discover CSC) 788
Message 25 of 37
red259
Super Contributor

@wmweeza wrote:

@dallasjetfan wrote:

Backdating and warranties, those aren't offerred by most other card companies

People talk about the backdating all the time. To me its of limited use, because there is only one more amex card I want, so I'll get an extra year off the backdate if approved and then I won't have any future personal amex cards to apply for, so the backdating will only come into play if I can get a new bonus offer down the line on a card I cancelled or they come out with a new product that suits me. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 26 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it says I have to many inquiries within 12 months, does it only look at the inquiries from Experian? Or from all reports? I only have 1 inquiry on experian and still denied.

Message 27 of 37
dize
Regular Contributor

I have an amex recon question that ties a little bit into this discussion, if my experian has an inacuracy that is not seen on my other reports, can I ask them to pull that report as well to verify the inaccuracies? or should I wait until they get removed from my experian?

Message 28 of 37
keithB
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If it says I have to many inquiries within 12 months, does it only look at the inquiries from Experian? Or from all reports? I only have 1 inquiry on experian and still denied.

Computers often say whatever when coming up with denials.  Citi declined me for a second account with a $1000 balance on a $5000 CL on the other account.

You are concentrating too much on your inquiries and FICO scores. You don't seem to realize that you have a thin file.  And for a thin file, a 702 EX is hardly impressive.  I'm not knocking your 702, as mine is now 685 EX.  I'm just trying to make you understand that to apply for AMEX and get accepted with a thin credit history, you need a higher score - that's about the reality of it.  

Do people get accepted to AMEX with lower scores?  Yep, but they most likely have a longer credit history than you do. You can try to rationalize what's going on all you want but unless you are the one that write the algorithm for AMEX's computer for accepting or rejecting credit, you are kinda just wasting energy.

You have ony 1 inquiry on Experian? That's awesome.  But AMEX sees how many accounts you have and can safely ASSUME how many inquiries you have.  Thay can also see your average age of accounts. Is you AAoA less than 6 months?  Well, there you go.  Now it seems you are concerned about being an authorized user on your parents account with their maxing out of an account and missing a payment.  That sux that you were tied into all that but you also get the AAoA benifit and a little bit of a credit jump start.

All I can say is I'll be very surprised if you get an AMEX with a thin file and a score of less than 720. My score was 730, I got my AMEX and since my little app spree, my score has dropped like a rock (730->685) - and I have no baddies.  You'll find the same will most likely hold true for you in the coming next couple of months if you keep apping and opening accounts.

Message 29 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Right now I like Amex but that could change fast especially if I get a fr for buying the wrong kind of toilet paper.
Message 30 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.