Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for AMEX :(

tag
keithB
Established Contributor

Re: Denied for AMEX :(

@Anonymous wrote:
Right now I like Amex but that could change fast especially if I get a fr for buying the wrong kind of toilet paper.

Why does fr scare you?  It's as simple as printing out last years tax return.  What's the big deal?

Message 31 of 37
dallasjetfan
Established Contributor

@keithB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Right now I like Amex but that could change fast especially if I get a fr for buying the wrong kind of toilet paper.

Why does fr scare you?  It's as simple as printing out last years tax return.  What's the big deal?

Because its none of their business what my tax returns say.  I've never had any other company ask for tax returns.  

Barclays US Air $17K| TTCU $15K| Citi Diamond $10.5K| Discover IT $9000| CapOne $2K| Best Buy $2K
Message 32 of 37
keithB
Established Contributor

@dallasjetfan wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Because its none of their business what my tax returns say.  I've never had any other company ask for tax returns.  

Easy way to fix this - don't ask them for credit and you have nothing to worry about Smiley Happy

Message 33 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

The part I don't like is where they block the card from being used. This could happen at the worst possible time, such as a business dinner with a potential client.
Message 34 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The part I don't like is where they block the card from being used. This could happen at the worst possible time, such as a business dinner with a potential client.

But this can happen with any card.  On the positive side, at least Amex gives you a chance to put your case, other issuers don't.   Now if it were clear that Amex FRs much more than other issuers close cards, it would matter, but I haven't seen evidence of this.  FRs are rare!

Message 35 of 37
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@keithB wrote:

@dallasjetfan wrote:

@keithB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Easy way to fix this - don't ask them for credit and you have nothing to worry about Smiley Happy

Well, even better, do ask them for credit, and, in the very rare case where they FR you, decline to give the info and close the card.

Message 36 of 37
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

@wmweeza wrote:

@dallasjetfan wrote:

I'm glad I have moved on from AMEX.  I don't get why everyone wants an AMEX so bad.  They don't offer anything any other CC does.  There is no prestige in having one.  I proved I could get one and when I was denied a CLI I decided to dump them.  I have many higher limit CC's. 

Backdating and warranties, those aren't offerred by most other card companies

People talk about the backdating all the time. To me its of limited use, because there is only one more amex card I want, so I'll get an extra year off the backdate if approved and then I won't have any future personal amex cards to apply for, so the backdating will only come into play if I can get a new bonus offer down the line on a card I cancelled or they come out with a new product that suits me. 

backdating may not be interesting the first year, if you are no longer rebuilding, but 5, 10, or 15 years down the line, backdating could be the thing that pushes you from a 760 score to an 820 score.  You can always close an AMEX card and wait the required waint period and try to get the bonus again. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.