Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for Amex BCE :-(

tag
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Denied for Amex BCE :-(

Smiley Sad

I applied for the BCE at the beginning of last week and was instantly denied. It really upset me because I thought that having a Zync for over 6 months, and being an AU on a positive '99 account would help a lot. My scores are around 700+, so I thought I had a pretty good chance. I even paid down my util from 89% to 7% 

I wasn't able to view my app online, and had to patiently wait for my EX score to arrive in the mail. Well, I got it today and realized that Amex did exactly what I was afraid they would do. They pulled a report from when they last soft pulled my account, June 23rd. I applied on the 30th of July. Ugh!

So, should I call and recon, or should I just wait until the end of this month (30 days) and reapply. If I recon, I get a hard pull, but they will see an accurate report. The only bad thing about that during a manual review, that they will see all the backdating and that I had a CO from 2008.  However, I feel like if I reapply in 30 days, they may pull an old report again. Clearly they did not soft my report at any point during July, and who knows if they will anytime this month.

Any suggestions? 

Scores: EX: 793 EQ: 804 TU: 801
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Re: Denied for Amex BCE :-(

What reason codes did they list for the decline? If the first reason was high utilization, it is worth a recon, since Amex recons are only based on factual error (in your case, you can demonstrate that your reported utilization at time of application was incorrect). If, however, that isn't your top reason, then a recon is unlikely to succeed and you are better off waiting to reapply. 

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, call and Recon.  They will HP you though.  I ran into the same issue

Message 3 of 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@ccb2115 wrote:

Smiley Sad

I applied for the BCE at the beginning of last week and was instantly denied. It really upset me because I thought that having a Zync for over 6 months, and being an AU on a positive '99 account would help a lot. My scores are around 700+, so I thought I had a pretty good chance. I even paid down my util from 89% to 7% 

I wasn't able to view my app online, and had to patiently wait for my EX score to arrive in the mail. Well, I got it today and realized that Amex did exactly what I was afraid they would do. They pulled a report from when they last soft pulled my account, June 23rd. I applied on the 30th of July. Ugh!

So, should I call and recon, or should I just wait until the end of this month (30 days) and reapply. If I recon, I get a hard pull, but they will see an accurate report. The only bad thing about that during a manual review, that they will see all the backdating and that I had a CO from 2008.  However, I feel like if I reapply in 30 days, they may pull an old report again. Clearly they did not soft my report at any point during July, and who knows if they will anytime this month.

Any suggestions? 

This is how AMEX usually works ~ they'll use your most recent soft pull if they decline your application, so it won't be a hard pull.    Have you checked all of your reports ?  Sometimes they'll soft TU or even EQ.  

I would just wait 30 days, they'll likely have an updated soft of your reports by then ~ and they will do a new hard pull if you're approved.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 12
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

My first reason is:

"Your debt with other creditors relative to the available credit as indicated by Experian." 

Message 5 of 12
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

I would definately try to Recon, it's worth a chance and you may get lucky.

Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 6 of 12
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, I guess I should just recon and suffer the consequences of the extra inquiry. My intention was to apply for the BCE and the PRG, but I guess if I recon, I can't benefit from the 1 pull for two cards. 

The only reason I may not want to wait and reapply is because I was so upset that I was denied that I applied for the Citi Diamond Preferred just to get an approval for the day (I was planning on apping for it anyway). I would rather them pull now with just the extra inquiry for that app, then perhaps pull at the end of the month with the inquiry and the new account, which may drop my score a little. 

Message 7 of 12
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@ccb2115 wrote:

Yeah, I guess I should just recon and suffer the consequences of the extra inquiry. My intention was to apply for the BCE and the PRG, but I guess if I recon, I can't benefit from the 1 pull for two cards. 

The only reason I may not want to wait and reapply is because I was so upset that I was denied that I applied for the Citi Diamond Preferred just to get an approval for the day (I was planning on apping for it anyway). I would rather them pull now with just the extra inquiry for that app, then perhaps pull at the end of the month with the inquiry and the new account, which may drop my score a little. 

Good luck to you!!! Fingers crossed!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 12
irving_magik
Regular Contributor

Yes, good luck... post back an update

Fico Scores: TU 700 (10/12/2016) EQ 729 (10/01/2016) EX 713 (10/01/16)

AMEX BCP $25,000 (opened 09/2012) - Citi TYP $12,000 (opened 12/2012) Chase Sapphire Preffered $6000 (opened 09/2012)
Message 9 of 12
ccb2115
Frequent Contributor

Well, for some reason I thought the Exec office would help expedite the process, but they just told me to call New Accounts.  Had a feeling they would say that.

I spoke to a very nice CSR who said I could either have them start manually reviewing it right away, which would result in a hard pull. Or, I could fax them over a copy of my updated/corrected Experian report showing the corrections. I am not sure if I gave them the correct report though. I faxed them over my report that I can get from Experian.com, and then I went to "initiate a dispute", and also printed that report. I faxed them both because I didn't know which would suffice. So I guess all I can do is wait....App Status hasn't updated yet. 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.