Reply
New Member
geegollygosh
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-18-2013
0

Denied for Barclay Arrival-- should I try for a recon?

Hi everyone, first time here.  I just applied for the Barclay Arrival and was denied, prompting me to come here and check my credit score-- it's 768.

 

I have four open credit cards and am currently utilizing 4% of my limits (this is a pretty average amount for me) and have three student loans totalling around 10k.  I always pay my balance in full and have no bad marks on my credit report.  I got my last credit card a little over a year ago.

 

The bads are that I'm pretty young so average age of credit lines is probably around two years with my oldest account only six years old, and I only make around 14k a year (is this taken into account?).

 

Does anyone see anything there that would get me denied?  should I try for a recon?  I've never done it, I'm a little nervous to try. I have the phone number that's been posted in other threads.

 

thanks!

Valued Contributor
red259
Posts: 1,922
Registered: ‎06-05-2013
0

Re: Denied for Barclay Arrival-- should I try for a recon?

[ Edited ]

I'm not familiar with that card, but your income is taken into account, along with the student loan payments you have to make. I'm not sure what other cards and limits you have, but that could also be a factor. You could call and find out the reasons for denial. Have you had an recent inqs on your account? It could be this card has a high min CL as well. I'm not certain but others on here may have the card and know.


Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 730 6/27/14
Goal Score: 800 In garden until 1/2015
Valued Contributor
dodgerslv
Posts: 1,759
Registered: ‎06-16-2012
0

Re: Denied for Barclay Arrival-- should I try for a recon?


geegollygosh wrote:

Hi everyone, first time here.  I just applied for the Barclay Arrival and was denied, prompting me to come here and check my credit score-- it's 768.

 

I have four open credit cards and am currently utilizing 4% of my limits (this is a pretty average amount for me) and have three student loans totalling around 10k.  I always pay my balance in full and have no bad marks on my credit report.  I got my last credit card a little over a year ago.

 

The bads are that I'm pretty young so average age of credit lines is probably around two years with my oldest account only six years old, and I only make around 14k a year (is this taken into account?).

 

Does anyone see anything there that would get me denied?  should I try for a recon?  I've never done it, I'm a little nervous to try. I have the phone number that's been posted in other threads.

 

thanks!


I have a feeling the debt to income ratio was one of the factors that played into the decision. Definitely worth calling and try to recon. Good luck and keep us posted!


Cards: (Citi x6) (Chase x5) (US Bank x3) (Amex x3) (Barclays x3) (BofA x3) (Cap1 x2) (WF x2) (Penfed x1) (Discover x1) (Sync/GE x4) (Macys x2)
Fico 08 scores (8/27/14) EX: 772 TU: 767 EQ: 778 (Utilization at 8% right now).





Frequent Contributor
b_seeker
Posts: 390
Registered: ‎03-24-2013
0

Re: Denied for Barclay Arrival-- should I try for a recon?

[ Edited ]

You can try. Barclays is good with recon but I suspect you'll be denied still. 

 

Here's why:

On 14K income, Barclays is not likely to hand a 5K limit right off the bat (Unless I'm wrong, the Arrival is required to be 5K)

Depending on your current cards limits, they may see you as having enough credit relative to income and history. They did this to me.

 

However, you should recon anyways. When I apped with them, I got the Apple card and was approved for 3K on 12K income a couple years ago. Two months later they auto increased me to 5.5K. So MAY be able to convince them to give you the 5K outright.

 

Edit: If your loans are still in deferment/grace, than you'd have no payments which wouldn't affect you.



|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
New Member
geegollygosh
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-18-2013
0

Re: Denied for Barclay Arrival-- should I try for a recon?

Thanks for the replies.

 

I do have my room and board taken care of by my job so my income is in effect higher than 14k but I'm not sure if this is something that they would take into account.

 

Meh, I suppose all I can do is try.

 

Frequent Contributor
E150GT
Posts: 371
Registered: ‎12-30-2012
0

Re: Denied for Barclay Arrival-- should I try for a recon?


geegollygosh wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

 

I do have my room and board taken care of by my job so my income is in effect higher than 14k but I'm not sure if this is something that they would take into account.

 

Meh, I suppose all I can do is try.

 


One thing I learned from here is that once you take the hit, you might as well try. I got a chase card for a measly $500 limit a year ago and I didnt know I could call. I should have called then and that would have saved me two hard pulls yesterday. 


CSP-$8700, Amex BCE-17.2k, Chase Freedom-$5700
Discover It-$6600, USAA MC-$5900 Ink Bold- $18k
EQ-742 EX-702 TU-737
Community Leader
Senior Contributor
myjourney
Posts: 26,347
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: Denied for Barclay Arrival-- should I try for a recon?


geegollygosh wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

 

I do have my room and board taken care of by my job so my income is in effect higher than 14k but I'm not sure if this is something that they would take into account.

 

Meh, I suppose all I can do is try.

 


Please try it can only get better if you TRY

Can't hurt:smileywink:

"Intelligence plus character--that is the goal of true education"
Last 5 apps 6/6/13


New Contributor
romey050500
Posts: 67
Registered: ‎05-26-2013
0

Re: Denied for Barclay Arrival-- should I try for a recon?

you already have the HP, might as well call and recon. I called and got approved after being denied.

NFCU Flagship Visa 25k - Pentagon FCU Platinum Visa Signature 20k - USAA World MasterCard 10k - USAA American Express 10k - BoA 3, 2, 1 Card 10k - Southwest RR 8.5k - CSP 5k - Chase Freedom 2k - Discover It 2k - Barclay's Arrival 2.5k - NFCU Cash Rewards 2k - Military Star 5.8k - American Express BCP 2k - American Express PRG NPSL
Valued Contributor
mxp114
Posts: 1,359
Registered: ‎09-01-2011
0

Re: Denied for Barclay Arrival-- should I try for a recon?


b_seeker wrote:

Barclays is not likely to hand a 5K limit right off the bat (Unless I'm wrong, the Arrival is required to be 5K)

 



Arrival can be issued as Platinum MasterCard starting at $500, so I would def recon and even ask for the bare min.

New Member
geegollygosh
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎06-18-2013
0

success!

Called them back this morning-- turns out my app looked a little sketchy because I move around a lot and have had a lot of addresses in the past few years.  They approved me for 4200. Thanks everyone!


myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+