Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for CC: Past/Present Delinquent Credit Obligations

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Denied for CC: Past/Present Delinquent Credit Obligations

I just applied for a Discover Student Credit Card and I got rejected for the following reason:

PAST AND/OR PRESENT DELINQUENT CREDIT OBLIGATIONS

I did have a collection on my report from AFNI until a couple of weeks ago, but I got them to delete it entirely. It doesn't even show up on my accounts anymore. The only negative info on my reports is a 60 day late on two loans in November 2007 and a 60 day late in March 2009 on a credit card. The accounts, and all other accounts, are currently in good standing.

Any idea why I am getting rejected for this reason when it does not show up on my credit report.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Denied for CC: Past/Present Delinquent Credit Obligations

Have you pulled your own reports to see if it is gone from all three reports?
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah. I use Credit Check Total, so I can pull a report each day. I just pulled it right after I got denied, and the account is completely gone from all three bureaus.
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Right, but did you pull them before you applied? --oh wait, OK, if it was within minutes of after they pulled, they should have seen the same thing as you.

It's the old lates --they're the "past delinquent credit obligations." You don't owe now, but you did once and were late.

eta: a 60-day late from this past March is a score-killer, and also a huge red flag to lenders. I know that when I had a 30 hit, I lost 50 points immediately.

I'd wait until April 2010 (April 2011 would be even better) before apping for anything again. Lenders will need to see at least a year of prompt repayments before they'll want to take a risk, IMO.
Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 09-23-2009 05:34 PM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh okay gotcha. I just assumed that it was the AFNI account rearing its ugly head again.

I have since paid off the account that had the 60 day late in March 2009. I guess it's time to GW the hell out of them!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.